SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Original film from "Once is Enough" by Miles Smeeton (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/80723-original-film-once-enough-miles-smeeton.html)

Jim H 11-13-2011 05:36 PM

Original film from "Once is Enough" by Miles Smeeton

I've just been reading Once is Enough by Miles Smeeton, a famous account of a Cape Horn attempt in 1956 by three in a 46 foot wood ketch. There is one or two surprises.

Once Is Enough (Sailor's Classics): Amazon.co.uk: Miles Smeeton, Smeeton Miles: Books

There are main references in the book to John Guzzwell shooting film in a cine camera during the trip, including from a dinghy towed behind Tzu Hang, their ketch. If you are curious, fair examples of that film are shown here:

ITN Reporting 67: Cape Horn: Sailing Round the Horn

It's a great book-- a classic.

tdw 11-13-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim H (Post 796441)
I've just been reading Once is Enough by Miles Smeeton, a famous account of a Cape Horn attempt in 1956 by three in a 46 foot wood ketch. There is one or two surprises.

Once Is Enough (Sailor's Classics): Amazon.co.uk: Miles Smeeton, Smeeton Miles: Books

There are main references in the book to John Guzzwell shooting film in a cine camera during the trip, including from a dinghy towed behind Tzu Hang, their ketch. If you are curious, fair examples of that film are shown here:

ITN Reporting 67: Cape Horn: Sailing Round the Horn

It's a great book-- a classic.

Yep, fabulous book. One of the all time classics of cruising under sail. The Smeeton's themselves, an interesting pair. Seem so very old fashioned today but hey, they came from another time and place.

I'm presuming you've read 'Trekka Around the World' as well ? They do go hand in hand. Poor old Tzu Hang .... her end was quite sad for such a lovely old lady.

CalebD 11-13-2011 08:43 PM

Amazing footage!
I seem to recall that Guzwell was a bit of a photographer. What is also amazing is that this old school film footage did not get destroyed when Tzu Hang was pitch poled, forcing them to limp into port in Chile.
I've read both Guzwell's and the Smeeton's books. Both are pretty amazing people, and yes, from a different time and place. Those were the days of the intrepid British explorers who would go anywhere. The Smeeton's account of their time spent in India and Asia are pretty incredible as well.
I'm glad they got some footage of the cat.

Capt Len 11-13-2011 10:53 PM

The Smeeton's story goes on from there as does John's The Smeetons moved ashore to Alberta where they raised moose. Wrote a book about that adventure too. Their daughter now lives in Sidney were she takes care of injured bald eagles.among other critters. John's Trekka is in the Maritime Museum in Victoria and John visits Victoria from Seattle quite regularly on His Treasure. I am honored to have known these incredible adventurers and their books are proud in my library.

Faster 11-13-2011 11:11 PM

Inspiring stories all... great reads. The Smeetons also wrote 'the Sea is our village' (or something like that) which is the story of the original purchase of Tzu Hang and sailing her 'home' to BC. They lived on BC's Saltspring Island for some time, near a cove called Musgrave Landing at the mouth of Sansum Narrows.

Jim H 11-14-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 796474)
I'm presuming you've read 'Trekka Around the World' as well ? They do go hand in hand. Poor old Tzu Hang .... her end was quite sad for such a lovely old lady.

I've known of the Trekka book for years, but I haven't had time to pick up a copy. However, now that I've found a great used book store in Charing Cross that has a good nautical section, I should be able to pick it up. I started with "Once is Enough" and "Survive the Savage Seas" on my last trip there, and passed on the Pete Goss book for 1.

Those who enjoyed this thread might check out the parallel thread over at ybw.com:

Original film from "Once is Enough" by Miles Smeeton - Yachting and Boating World Forums

It's always interesting to hear about diamonds hidden in the keel...

Capt Len 11-26-2011 10:20 PM

Jim. You must know your way around a tool room ,eh? Over the years I've considered both Miles and John to be honored friends .

Capt Len 11-26-2011 10:25 PM

PS , they were in the oil pan.

vega1860 11-27-2011 05:00 PM

I have read all the books but this is the first time I have seen the film footage. Impressive stuff, especially considering how the camera flattens the seas.