SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (
-   -   Daytona-Long Island? (

ACapri 11-13-2011 05:11 PM

Daytona-Long Island?
Hey guys, I will be heading back home to New York at the end of May. I've been thinking of sailing home, offshore, in my 24' seafarer. I've done alot of offshore sailing with it here in Daytona and it's performed wonderfully so I'd like to get some opinions from you guys. Is there anyone who has already done a trip like this in a boat of a similar size?

Just some specs:
(Fixed keel)
L.O.A. 24'0"
L.W.L. 20'9"
Beam 7'10"
Displacement 3,910 lbs.
Ballast 1,400 lbs

CalebD 11-13-2011 08:02 PM

I haven't done it but it can be done if you've got some time (and money).
Here is a fun book about some folks doing just what you suggest and more back in 1912:
They mostly used the ICW but there is no reason you can't go outside if the weather is favorable.

hellosailor 11-13-2011 08:03 PM

People have gone further in less, but that's a serious trip for that boat. You've got what, some 1100 miles? And depending on adverse wind or currents and gulf stream eddies, you might average 4 knots for 275 hours of sailing. 10-14 days more or less if you have crew and sail 24x7. 7-10 if you get the right weather and move fast.

So, can you depend on that big a weather window? Carry two weeks of food and water for at least two people, preferably 3? And 48 hours worth of fuel? And if the weather turns, will you be close enough to scoot in an inlet? (Many of which are impassible in bad wx.)

Could be a fun trip. If you look at all the pieces, if none of the problems bother you...go for it. If you can' get crew (and depend on their schedule and your vs weather windows) you could go up the intracoatal, motoring for most of two weeks.

If the logistics get daunting, well...a trailer and two days on I95 might be the cheaper way to bring it back. No crew needed, no weather windows. Spend the time and money saved by going out across to Nantucket or AC instead. :-)

ACapri 11-13-2011 09:43 PM

I don't really have any time constraints, and the two gentlemen that would be coming along with me don't either, and I dont think we'll be sailing too far offshore. Of course weather will be an issue but from what I've read its more likely to find a weather gap big enough in the summer months then it would be now during winter.

tommays 11-15-2011 09:34 AM

In offshore racing this would be a CAT A trip which requires you to carry a LOT of saftey gear

How much you chose to carry is UP to you and the level of risk your willing to take

jameswilson29 11-15-2011 09:37 AM


Originally Posted by ACapri (Post 796449)
... Is there anyone who has already done a trip like this in a boat of a similar size?

Yes, Robin Lee Graham sailed most of the way around the world in a Cal 24, so you should be o.k. with adequate preparation, equipment and supplies.:)

fallard 11-16-2011 12:30 AM

We did a 1700 mile trip from the west coast of Florida to eastern Connecticut in April-May of 1996. We had a good weather window on the Atlantic side of Florida and went offshore at Ft. Pierce to pick up the Gulf stream. 72 hours later we were in Beaufort, NC. We went inside and up the ICW to Norfolk and then up the Chesapeake to the C&D canal. It was then down the Delaware to the Cape May Canal. From Cape May we headed directly to Montauk Pt and on to eastern CT.

We had a crew of 3 guys, including a first mate with offshore single handing experience, and were properly equipped with life raft, EPIRB, redundant navigation gear (Loran, GPS, sextant) and had a SSB and a 2 meter ham radio. We had predeployed extra running backstays and a babystay and had storm sails at the ready. Thankfully, the weather was great 95% of the time.

Some things to consider: Going offshore--especially if you pick up the Gulf stream--will save you a lot of time by avoiding the ICW meander in the far south and lots of drawbridges. We probably saved 2 weeks by taking the 600 mile offshore route to NC. However, to stay in the Gulf stream, we were 140 miles offshore as we passed Georgia, so we had to be prepared to stay out for a while. We went in at Beaufort, which is one of only about a half dozen Atlantic coast inlets that you can use in bad weather. We had ducked in as a front moved in from the north, with 30 kt winds. Going around Cape Hatteras was out of the question, so we entered the ICW at that point.

If you followed our itinerary, it would take you at least 2 weeks to get to NY, but you would need the weather gods on your side. If you stay in the ICW the whole way, you would probably need at least another 2 weeks.

If you have the time and are willing to wait for the right weather, go for it!

ACapri 11-17-2011 05:01 PM

We're considering not taking the gulf stream and just hugging the coast, just to be safe, I've never been on a trip this long, neither have the two guys who are coming.

jameswilson29 11-17-2011 05:22 PM

Hug the coast?
I am not so sure you want to hug the coast around Hatteras Island, might be better off in the stream, which is not far offshore there.

DrivinSteve 02-23-2012 10:42 AM


Originally Posted by jameswilson29 (Post 797987)
I am not so sure you want to hug the coast around Hatteras Island, might be better off in the stream, which is not far offshore there.

I agree with James, in at Beaufort for the ICW or WELL off in the stream.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) LLC 2000-2012

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome