Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2011

ACapri is on a distinguished road
Daytona-Long Island?

Hey guys, I will be heading back home to New York at the end of May. I've been thinking of sailing home, offshore, in my 24' seafarer. I've done alot of offshore sailing with it here in Daytona and it's performed wonderfully so I'd like to get some opinions from you guys. Is there anyone who has already done a trip like this in a boat of a similar size?

Just some specs:
(Fixed keel)
L.O.A. 24'0"
L.W.L. 20'9"
Beam 7'10"
Displacement 3,910 lbs.
Ballast 1,400 lbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I haven't done it but it can be done if you've got some time (and money).
Here is a fun book about some folks doing just what you suggest and more back in 1912: http://www.amazon.com/Boy-Me-Cat-Hen.../dp/1589762266
They mostly used the ICW but there is no reason you can't go outside if the weather is favorable.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-13-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
People have gone further in less, but that's a serious trip for that boat. You've got what, some 1100 miles? And depending on adverse wind or currents and gulf stream eddies, you might average 4 knots for 275 hours of sailing. 10-14 days more or less if you have crew and sail 24x7. 7-10 if you get the right weather and move fast.

So, can you depend on that big a weather window? Carry two weeks of food and water for at least two people, preferably 3? And 48 hours worth of fuel? And if the weather turns, will you be close enough to scoot in an inlet? (Many of which are impassible in bad wx.)

Could be a fun trip. If you look at all the pieces, if none of the problems bother you...go for it. If you can' get crew (and depend on their schedule and your vs weather windows) you could go up the intracoatal, motoring for most of two weeks.

If the logistics get daunting, well...a trailer and two days on I95 might be the cheaper way to bring it back. No crew needed, no weather windows. Spend the time and money saved by going out across to Nantucket or AC instead. :-)
Old 11-13-2011

I don't really have any time constraints, and the two gentlemen that would be coming along with me don't either, and I dont think we'll be sailing too far offshore. Of course weather will be an issue but from what I've read its more likely to find a weather gap big enough in the summer months then it would be now during winter.
Old 11-15-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
In offshore racing this would be a CAT A trip which requires you to carry a LOT of saftey gear

How much you chose to carry is UP to you and the level of risk your willing to take

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 11-15-2011
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACapri View Post
... Is there anyone who has already done a trip like this in a boat of a similar size?
Yes, Robin Lee Graham sailed most of the way around the world in a Cal 24, so you should be o.k. with adequate preparation, equipment and supplies.
Old 11-16-2011

fallard is on a distinguished road
We did a 1700 mile trip from the west coast of Florida to eastern Connecticut in April-May of 1996. We had a good weather window on the Atlantic side of Florida and went offshore at Ft. Pierce to pick up the Gulf stream. 72 hours later we were in Beaufort, NC. We went inside and up the ICW to Norfolk and then up the Chesapeake to the C&D canal. It was then down the Delaware to the Cape May Canal. From Cape May we headed directly to Montauk Pt and on to eastern CT.

We had a crew of 3 guys, including a first mate with offshore single handing experience, and were properly equipped with life raft, EPIRB, redundant navigation gear (Loran, GPS, sextant) and had a SSB and a 2 meter ham radio. We had predeployed extra running backstays and a babystay and had storm sails at the ready. Thankfully, the weather was great 95% of the time.

Some things to consider: Going offshore--especially if you pick up the Gulf stream--will save you a lot of time by avoiding the ICW meander in the far south and lots of drawbridges. We probably saved 2 weeks by taking the 600 mile offshore route to NC. However, to stay in the Gulf stream, we were 140 miles offshore as we passed Georgia, so we had to be prepared to stay out for a while. We went in at Beaufort, which is one of only about a half dozen Atlantic coast inlets that you can use in bad weather. We had ducked in as a front moved in from the north, with 30 kt winds. Going around Cape Hatteras was out of the question, so we entered the ICW at that point.

If you followed our itinerary, it would take you at least 2 weeks to get to NY, but you would need the weather gods on your side. If you stay in the ICW the whole way, you would probably need at least another 2 weeks.

If you have the time and are willing to wait for the right weather, go for it!
chef2sail and jameswilson29 like this.
Old 11-17-2011

We're considering not taking the gulf stream and just hugging the coast, just to be safe, I've never been on a trip this long, neither have the two guys who are coming.
Old 11-17-2011
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Hug the coast?

I am not so sure you want to hug the coast around Hatteras Island, N.C...you might be better off in the stream, which is not far offshore there.
Old 02-23-2012
DrivinSteve

DrivinSteve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
I am not so sure you want to hug the coast around Hatteras Island, N.C...you might be better off in the stream, which is not far offshore there.
I agree with James, in at Beaufort for the ICW or WELL off in the stream.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.