Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
The Oregon 400c is waterproof, but you need to be careful because it does not float. You need to mount the thing if you're going to use it in the cockpit.

A RAM mount is nice, but may be overkill. Garmin has a $9 bicycle handlebar mount that is perfect if you have a pedestal guard. If you have a tiller instead, I'd use the handlebar mount to fix it to the tiller. For $9 it can't hurt to try.

I've also used SeaClear and OpenCPN. They will work off of the Garmin's USB connection, although there's some other software needed to convert the USB signal, and to move routes and tracks into and out of the GPS. There are a bunch of posts on this in the Electronics subforum. Do some searching.

A dealer at a boat show claimed that Garmin discontinued the 400c (and all Oregons with preloaded charts) because their profit margin on them was too small. According to him, that's why you now have to buy the successor models without the charts and buy the charts on a separate card for additional cost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
That's a good point about transferring routes and waypoints. In order to use your routes from other software on a Garmin unit, you need to convert them to .gpx format which Garmin units will read. I've been using EasyGPS EasyGPS - Download free GPS software free to download. It works very well to convert and input multiple waypoints (routes) into a Garmin so that the unit can be used for routes even when you don't have the REALLY EXPENSIVE charts.
Old 11-16-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
thanks,i just downloaded easygps,i was sure some of you had knowlege that i sorely lack
Old 11-16-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
That's a good point about transferring routes and waypoints. In order to use your routes from other software on a Garmin unit, you need to convert them to .gpx format which Garmin units will read. I've been using EasyGPS EasyGPS - Download free GPS software free to download. It works very well to convert and input multiple waypoints (routes) into a Garmin so that the unit can be used for routes even when you don't have the REALLY EXPENSIVE charts.
This is exactly what I do. It's an extra step, but it only takes a moment, and it's free.

It would seem to me, that you could make a little hood for the screen rather cheaply, to combat the glare.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 11-16-2011
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
I keep my laptop on the companionway hatch under the dodger. This protects it from spray and provides some shade. The Garmin is kept in the same location on a suction mount. You can see my setup in this video.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2011

cool,thanks i don't like getting lost,i have a garmin 76 but most of the paper charts i have are for where i've been not where i want to go
Old 11-17-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
I keep my laptop on the companionway hatch under the dodger. This protects it from spray and provides some shade. The Garmin is kept in the same location on a suction mount. You can see my setup in this video.
That's exactly what I did on cabin top next to the hatch. Even put a couple of pad eyes so I can tie the laptop down. This works pretty well but if the dodger needs to come down because of a really bad blow, the laptop is gone too. In that situation, which I've yet to encounter, the Garmin would have to suffice. I searched for waterproof, sunlight viewable external touch screen monitor that I could mount right on the pedestal but the price on these is astronomical. Would be nice if someone would make a non-proprietary plotter so that Garmin, NOAA, Jeppesen, raster format, etc. charts could be used interchangeably.

I will not be sorry for these companies, who get their chart data from public, taxpayer funded efforts and then stick it up our @#$ reselling it at ridiculous prices to sailors in proprietary formats, when crowd-sourcing finally makes all charts free. This data has come from government research: NOAA, Admiralty, etc., paid by you, me and our ancestors. They should all be totally free as NOAA, Brazilian, and NZ charts. Our NSA has all these charts in raster format like NOAA charts but refuses to release them for public use for some unjustified reasons. Sorry for the politics but this is a sailing safety issue.
Old 11-18-2011

i finally got the time to experi9ment with connecting my gps to my laptop last night,as soon as i pluged it in the gps screen showed that i was connected to the pc and became unfunctional,the easygps screen doesn't tell me anything can anyone help a poor dummy out,thanks
Old 11-18-2011

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
My problem at that point was telling the laptop the baud?? rate of the gps It's in the chart program.I have a Nobletech.I got in my IT man to sort it. Luck!
Old 11-18-2011
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
Look in divice manger tree for anything with an yellow exclaimation piont next to it ... first disconnect your gps unit ...then uninstall the yellow flag ....reboot , then plug back in your gps unit then a pop up should ask you if you want to find drivers for this equip you just plugged inj & say yes ... follow the pop up.

Good luck .....try this when all else fails with anything plugged in doesn't work .

windows should allways want to find drivers , if it can't find drivers then you have to go searching for them your self download them to MY Documents then run them.....