SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   gps navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/80800-gps-navigation.html)

sawingknots 11-15-2011 10:14 AM

gps navigation

hi,i just bought a oregon 400c handheld and after playing with it for a couple of days i'm sure i can navigate ok using the preloaded coastal charts,i also just downloaded the seaclear program into my laptop,what can this progarm[seaclear do for me]i'm very navigational and brain challenged!if i plug in my gps device what will happen?in other words i need someone to take me by my grubby little hand and walk me thru the basics.thanks,[someone needs to look after fools]

kwaltersmi 11-15-2011 10:40 AM

I don't have the details because I don't have SeaClear, but I'm guessing tethering the handheld gps to the laptop running SeaClear will allow SeaClear to plot your position on a highly detailed nautical chart on the laptop screen. This gives you a bigger and more detailed picture than you'll get on the handheld. You'll also be able to create routes and edit data more conveinently.

I've used a similar set up with my Garmin GPSMAP 76cs and OpenCPN on my laptop. It worked great. I've now migrated to navigation with Navionics on iPad2 and the Garmin as a backup.

smurphny 11-15-2011 01:12 PM

I have a Garmin chartplotter and an old Garmin handheld which both work for the GPS input using Sailcruiser, Seaclear, or Open Cpn. Just make sure you go into the gps setup screen to tell the software that you are using Garmin USB protocol. The only problem with using computers is getting them in a good position to see and manipulate on deck. A non-waterproof computer won't survive long after the first wave breaks over the rail. They also don't have the daylight viewable screens that chartplotters do. I bought a refurbed Panasonic Toughbook which is splashproof, has a daylight viewable screen and is pretty rugged but still prefer the little Garmin 376C chartplotter although the screen is small.

sawingknots 11-15-2011 01:54 PM

i understand what your saying,i think i just need to do some experimenting,while i'm on the water and navigateing my laptop doesn't need to be connected to the internet ,right

DRFerron 11-15-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawingknots (Post 797144)
while i'm on the water and navigateing my laptop doesn't need to be connected to the internet ,right

It does not need to be connected to the internet while underway or when route planning.

sawingknots 11-15-2011 02:28 PM

great,thanks

night0wl 11-15-2011 02:43 PM

I prefer OpenCPN to SeaClear. Great bit of kit to have aboard on the laptop.

Also, are the Oregon units waterproof? I actually spent about the same for a 76CsX (with no onboard chart and a worse screen) so that I could get a GPS that floated and was waterproof.

tdw 11-15-2011 05:40 PM

Glare is the enemy. We have Open CPN (used to be MaxSea but that doesn't work on Linux) on Linux notebook at chart table. Combined efforts of Omatako and BentSailor helped me to get it all set up and it works faultlessly but useless in the cockpit on a sunny day. Maybe that is not such a bad thing cos I'm sure the wee Dell would soon move on to Silicon Heaven if it had to endure the open air.

sawingknots 11-15-2011 05:57 PM

maybe i can navigate huddled under a blanket or just use the gps unit in the cockpit...nightowl i don't know if its waterproof or not but hey its wonderfully made in taiwan with only the highest grade materials and the worlds best craftsmen "i worky for u longy time joe"

LinekinBayCD 11-15-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawingknots (Post 797214)
maybe i can navigate huddled under a blanket or just use the gps unit in the cockpit...nightowl i don't know if its waterproof or not but hey its wonderfully made in taiwan with only the highest grade materials and the worlds best craftsmen "i worky for u longy time joe"

The 400c is waterproof. It's a nice little unit with preloaded charts. Don't understand why it was discontinued relatively quickly. Got one on sale at WM two yeas back. Rather than messing with the laptop in the cockpit I'd get a ram mount for the 400c at the helm.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=14905