Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By peterchech

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011

Minga is on a distinguished road
Shopping blues

Time is passing and I am still looking for my boat. In thr mean time I have undertake sailing classes and now I have a confidence that " I can rise the sails up ".
But, bak to the shopping stories.
I have seen some boats and have to admit that possibly my buying time will be on the increase.
Every one admits that a wooden boat is a lots of work and not much sailing.
My observations tell me that every one is getting GRP and forgetting about maintenance for the next 10 year, at which point they discover that fixing things is to much of thr cost, and they trying to " flog" the boat on the market.
You can buy a Swanson 28 for about a 22K in Australia, but I would not make next wave. Engine is leaking oil, bilge area is splitting, no instruments at all, and so on.
This is not the only inspection I have. Other boats with the price of around 25k where in same state. There is a Clansman in Tasmania. Advertised as inshore and offshore for around 30 - 35k. I have told the owner that I will pay the price if he sail the boat with me back to Melbourne. The answer - no way. The boat is in no state of making Bass Straight.
I have seen Carter 33 for around 45k. The boom paint blister, the mast paint is pealing ( I have not see inside or the motor) , but have survey report indicating that the keel bolts should be check and re-tension.
Unfortunately in Australia there is not much choice in blue water boat selection ( in good running order) if thr budget is around 30k.
I wish I cud put my hands on Alberg 30 or Contessa 26 or, possibly my favored Norsea 27 ( yeah dream on Johny).
Does anyone have possible hiccups before buying own boat.
In AU anything bigger that 30ft attract proce well above 40k (if in some good condition).
Bottom line - not happy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Perhaps you need to find a cheap flight to the US and start your sailing there. 30k there will do you very well there for buying something like an Alberg 30 (made in my home port!) and getting it all fixed up to sail back. Depends on whether you have lots of time. There are lots of foreign cruising boats being brought to Oz to sell but they tend to be big and expensive. There is a lovely Tayana 52 at Scarborough that someone is selling but it is something like 375K
Old 11-16-2011

You may be right killarney_sailor. It did cross my mind that flying to US and getting good boat would be the right step. Even with 10% GST (tax) on the price it would be still cheeper than purchasing here in OZ.
Alberg is nice boat from what i see on the website (did not know that they are still made in Canada).
Old 11-16-2011

johnnyandjebus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minga View Post
You may be right killarney_sailor. It did cross my mind that flying to US and getting good boat would be the right step. Even with 10% GST (tax) on the price it would be still cheeper than purchasing here in OZ.
Alberg is nice boat from what i see on the website (did not know that they are still made in Canada).
I don't know how realistic buying a boat in Canada/USA would be in your case, only you can say. With that said below are a couple of websites to help keep the dream alive(in case you weren't aware of them already)

Contessa 26 site
The Contessa Corner - A site for Contessa owners, sailors and dreamers.

All things Alberg(Canadian site)
The Great Lakes Alberg Assoc.

All things Alberg(American site)
The Alberg 30 Site

Last but not least a site created by an Aussie, he bought a co26 in England and sailed it home. His site changed quite a bit after his journey but if you dig you will find info on his trip.
Bigoceans.com | Blog & Sailing forums for offshore sailors

John
Old 11-16-2011

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
Anyone want to sail to OZ and sell their boat?
Old 11-16-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperiorGeezer View Post
Anyone want to sail to OZ and sell their boat?
haha sounds like a business opportunity!

In the Northeast USA the used boat prices are so low it's amazing what you can get for your money...

I guess Australia is doing much better than us financially, with their 5% unemployment, low cost education for all, free health care, investments in infrastructure, and other commy policies
upei1 likes this.
Old 11-16-2011
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Shame everything is so darned expensive down in the Land of Oz. Best of luck on getting yourself a boat that suits you.
Old 11-16-2011

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
There's a lot of good sailboats on the Pacific side of the USA, San Francisco to be exact. Here are a few examples: Latitude 38 - Classy Classifieds Categories Or, would sailing to OZ from the east coast of USA make for a better run? What does it cost to have a delivery service, a reliable one, sail a boat to OZ from USA?

Last edited by LakeSuperiorGeezer; 11-16-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-16-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Alberg 30s have not been made for quite a few years but there are a lot available. I think you might find a greater selection of boats on the US east coast than west and prices will be lower. Note that southern boats (eg Florida) are likely to be more tired than those from further north because in the latter case, the season is shorter so the boats are out of the water for 6 months or so. Freshwater boats (Great Lakes) have had an even easier life.

Out of curiosity I looked for Alberg 30s on yachtworld.com and there 6 of them from A$11k to A$26k. I would look for one with a diesel and that had been upgraded. It will be cheaper than upgrading yourself just because of parts costs even if you do the work yourself.
Old 11-17-2011

Well if anyone will wonder to down under with a nice Alberg, I bet that it would sold here ( I be one interested). :-)