Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2011

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
On the Move-Will they help?

Im headed to Pensacola to be near my wife at NAS, as she is active duty Navy and about to attend A-school. After that (4-7) months we will get orders, but I have an inkling we will be headed to San Diego.

I put my boat on the market, but have been wondering if the military would pay to move my boat as part of the relocation package. All I could seem to find is that they will move up to 8k lbs? anyone have experience with this, or thoughts or suggestions? Just dont wanna sell her for less that what she is worth (or what I think she is worth LOL) if the resource is out there to bring her along.

thanks much,
Q

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture

Last edited by QuickMick; 11-18-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2011
Wannabe

dmcMaine is on a distinguished road
Your best bet is to contact the Navy PPSO in Pensacola. I'm sure all of the rules have changed since my last move (back in the '90s).

From what I remember though, you are correct. There is a PCS weight allowance that the Navy will pay to move. You will be responsible for anything over that allowance. I know there are special rules for moving POVs, boats, trailers, etc. As well as special rules concerning moving mobile homes. A live-aboard boat might also be its own special category. A friend in the early 90's lived aboard his boat in puerto rico. I know he had a lot of hassles when it came time to transfer. But I don't remember the outcome.

A second option exists if the PPSO approves the request. That is a DITY move (that's what it was called back then). With a DITY move, you weigh your stuff, and the Navy pays you to move it yourself, based on weight (up to the max allowance). If you can move the stuff yourself cheaper than the allowance, the rest could be put toward things like having your boat trucked.

But really, the best source of info is the PPSO in Pensacola. They'll be able to tell you your options under the current rules.

A bigger concern is can you afford keeping the boat in SD? You might want to check marina costs there before trying to run the navy red tape marathon.
Old 11-18-2011
Wannabe

dmcMaine is on a distinguished road
Oh...and stay flexible!

You might want to wait until she has orders in hand before a solid decision. In A-school, I thought I would be heading to Jacksonville, Florida. I ended up at Diego Garcia!
Old 11-18-2011
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road
Good stuff, and advice from dmc. My question: might your wife not be going to Whidbey Island instead of San Diego? I know a lot of folks at NAS PAX went from Pensacola to Whidbey.

Old 11-18-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
My info is dated, but my last PCS move (2002) specifically said in the fine print, "no boats" which was a bummer since we were going to be living aboard and weren't buying a house. Hope you have better luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 11-18-2011

creedence623 is on a distinguished road
The military will reemburse you for the shipment of your boat BUT it will come from the total wight allowance permitted for your household goods.

You say you are authorized 8,000 pounds, if your boat weighs 7,000, the military will move it and 1,000 pounds of household items.

A lot of guys (especially Navy) like to sail to their next PCS assignment in which case you are entitled limited reembursement for mileage and additional costs incurred along the way.

The real trick is to find the right person in the transportation office that actually knows the regulation. Like most beurocratic automotons, they are programmed to say NO any time something outside the scope of their limited knowledge comes along. If you don't get the right answer, talk to someone in the Inspector General's (or Navy equivalent) office. Their sole job is to properly interpret regulations.

To show you how far the military will go if you know how to work it,; in 2009, a buddy (also a SN memeber) got the military to reemburse him for shipment of his Kelly Peterson 45 from Hawaii to his back yard in North Carolina!

Last edited by creedence623; 11-18-2011 at 08:38 PM.