Which route would you choose - Red Sea or Cape? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 11-21-2011
Omatako's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Posts: 2,393
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 11
Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequitur View Post
Our intentions this year are to go Cape Horn - South Africa - Mauritius/Rodriguez - Perth, and we feel much more comfortable with this.
With respect, you're going to need a lot more luck and determination than Killarney Sailor is.

I have done a west to east trip across the Indian Ocean and I'd sooner sail to Somalia for Christmas than do that trip again.

Please be sure to check the seasonal changes very carefully because if you sail in the wrong season you will literally be beating into 25 knots of headwind for 3600 miles in the lumpiest, most uncomfortable sea on the planet.

I say this in all honesty - If I was in Cape Town and my destination HAD to be Fremantle/Perth I would either do a 1-stop trip south (35 degrees or more, on the fringes of the Southern Ocean) or I would sell my boat and fly to Perth. There is no way in hell that I would contemplate the trip you are.

If you're going to do the SA - Mauritius - Perth trip I REALLY wish you the best of luck.

For the record, I just ran a VPP study on the Mauritius to Fremantle route. In January/February you will beat for 60% of the trip and tight reach for the other 40%. In August you will beat about 50% and then reaching for about 50%. Season here is critical because of the trades that switch at certain times of the year. You have to avoid the South East monsoon.

Just my 5 cents worth - use it - don't use it.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

__________________

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #22  
Old 11-21-2011
Sequitur's Avatar
... a logical conclusion
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: At Sea
Posts: 430
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
Sequitur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
With respect, you're going to need a lot more luck and determination than Killarney Sailor is.

I have done a west to east trip across the Indian Ocean and I'd sooner sail to Somalia for Christmas than do that trip again.

Please be sure to check the seasonal changes very carefully because if you sail in the wrong season you will literally be beating into 25 knots of headwind for 3600 miles in the lumpiest, most uncomfortable sea on the planet.

I say this in all honesty - If I was in Cape Town and my destination HAD to be Fremantle/Perth I would either do a 1-stop trip south (35 degrees or more, on the fringes of the Southern Ocean) or I would sell my boat and fly to Perth. There is no way in hell that I would contemplate the trip you are.

If you're going to do the SA - Mauritius - Perth trip I REALLY wish you the best of luck.

For the record, I just ran a VPP study on the Mauritius to Fremantle route. In January/February you will beat for 60% of the trip and tight reach for the other 40%. In August you will beat about 50% and then reaching for about 50%. Season here is critical because of the trades that switch at certain times of the year. You have to avoid the South East monsoon.

Just my 5 cents worth - use it - don't use it.
Thanks for the advice. Our intention is to head south-southeast from Mauritius/Rodriguez to pick-up the southern current and the Westerlies, somewhere around 40 or a tad more south. This is quite close to the great circle route, anyway. By the time we've enjoyed Africa and Mauritius/Rodriguez, it will likely be well into the southern spring or maybe even summer, if our current schedule warp continues its hold.
__________________
Cheers,
Michael

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1908 Wildschut SkŻtsje

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #23  
Old 11-21-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,099
Thanks: 3
Thanked 57 Times in 50 Posts
Rep Power: 9
killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Michael am I missing something here? Are you spending a year in South Africa/Mauritius? If you are arriving in Cape Town in March (I think you said at the earliest) and spending a couple of months in South Africa, say April-May, you would be heading onward in the fall into winter, June/Julyish? It is early in the morning here and I may not have read your itinerary properly.
__________________
Finished the circumnavigation in early February in Grenada. Have to work on a book project for the next several months so the boat will be waiting for next year.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #24  
Old 11-21-2011
Sequitur's Avatar
... a logical conclusion
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: At Sea
Posts: 430
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
Sequitur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Michael am I missing something here? Are you spending a year in South Africa/Mauritius? If you are arriving in Cape Town in March (I think you said at the earliest) and spending a couple of months in South Africa, say April-May, you would be heading onward in the fall into winter, June/Julyish? It is early in the morning here and I may not have read your itinerary properly.
The operative words in my previous post were: "if our current schedule warp continues its hold", which is a swipe at our plans for two months in Peru stretching to more than six, and our planned three months in Chile already nearly eleven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequitur View Post
Thanks for the advice. Our intention is to head south-southeast from Mauritius/Rodriguez to pick-up the southern current and the Westerlies, somewhere around 40 or a tad more south. This is quite close to the great circle route, anyway. By the time we've enjoyed Africa and Mauritius/Rodriguez, it will likely be well into the southern spring or maybe even summer, if our current schedule warp continues its hold.
__________________
Cheers,
Michael

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1908 Wildschut SkŻtsje

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #25  
Old 11-22-2011
Ilenart's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Australia
Posts: 507
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 8
Ilenart is on a distinguished road
You might find the attached two articles on sailing the Southern Indian Ocean useful. They are written by Beth Leonard (author of "The Voyager's Handbook).

Ilenart

http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/So%20Indian%20Ocean.pdf

http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/So%2...0Part%20II.pdf
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #26  
Old 11-22-2011
kwaltersmi's Avatar
Broad Reachin'
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 1,838
Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 9
kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you've made your choice and will be rounding the cape. In your situation, that's probably what I would have choosen as well.

As I see it, the only real options are:

1) risking the piracy of the Arabian Sea and the Gulf of Aden to cruise north of Africa into the Mediterranean Sea,

2) risking the extremely long and potentially very stormy passage around South Africa and the Cape of Good Hope,

3) sail back across the Pacific and fight the opposing currents and weather,

4) pay to have your sailboat transported aboard a cargo ship across the Indian Ocean and into the Mediterranean Sea.

Those options donít make for an easy choice.

I have a goal to do a major cruise someday. Iíve never felt that the cruise has to include a circumnavigation to live up to my lofty expectations. Iím not the kind of sailor who makes decisions based on setting records or checking boxes off on some list. In fact, part of why I sail is to escape such societal values.

I do know that if I were doing my "world" cruise today Iíd probably skip the Indian Ocean all together (and likely the Med, given the itinerary below). I think Iíd make a u-turn in the Pacific at Australia and ride the Kuroshio and North Pacific Currents back to California. If my voyage began in the Great Lakes, I'd still see the east coast of the U.S., the Caribbean, Central America, the South Pacific, Australia, possibly Hawaii and eventually California.
__________________
Catalina 34

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #27  
Old 11-22-2011
bluewater crew guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: usa
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
tropicalboogie is on a distinguished road
I crewed as far as Salalah, Oman from Phuket last winter in a convoy (TTT). The anxiety level was off the chart! Although we never saw a pirate we hallucinated many. Every skiff looked like a pirate attacker. i really don't recommend it to anyone unless they are on a navy gun boat!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #28  
Old 11-22-2011
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: on planet earth
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
galaboat is on a distinguished road
Would not even consider the Red Sea! Suggest over the top, Cocos Keeling, Rodriguez (A good one) Mauritius, Reunion, SA! The Indian Ocean may be the roughest one of the round, never had less than 30 knots and a bitch cross-wave from the south! Hard on the Monitor! Don't think you want to meet a bunch of 16 year olds with automatic weapons and a hunger for kath and babes! Book in Richards Bay or at the Yacht Club or Tuzi Gazi Marina! As for the Cape, remember that patient sailors have good weather!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #29  
Old 11-22-2011
tdw's Avatar
tdw tdw is offline
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 14,351
Thanks: 5
Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
Rep Power: 10
tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
SNIP
I do know that if I were doing my "world" cruise today Iíd probably skip the Indian Ocean all together (and likely the Med, given the itinerary below). I think Iíd make a u-turn in the Pacific at Australia and ride the Kuroshio and North Pacific Currents back to California. If my voyage began in the Great Lakes, I'd still see the east coast of the U.S., the Caribbean, Central America, the South Pacific, Australia, possibly Hawaii and eventually California.
Ever since I read Hal Roth's "Two on a Big Ocean" Thats been my dream cruise as well, or a version thereof at least. Dodging the opposing cylone/typhoon seasons would be difficult in that its hard to find a safe haven to wait out the overlapping period. The havens exist but you'll be living in a sauna for a month or so.

The Pacific circuit allows a visit Asian countries such as Japan that are off the traditional beaten track and for me is a good way to get to see Alaska and the PNW. The crossing from Japan to Alaska has to give one pause. Could get a tadge nasty.

Of course once you are in Alaska the NW Passage beckons and that route to Europe or ECAmerica becomes increasingly doable as time goes by.
__________________
Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #30  
Old 11-22-2011
AdamLein's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 1,866
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 7
AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Of course once you are in Alaska the NW Passage beckons and that route to Europe or ECAmerica becomes increasingly doable as time goes by.
And interesting point. I wonder if we'll get that benefit in our lifetimes
__________________
s/v Essorant
1972 Catalina 27
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trying to Choose a Caribbean Route irbrowning Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 5 12-04-2009 10:13 AM
How to choose a ship and a route for your first voyage (Detroit Free Press) NewsReader News Feeds 0 02-25-2007 04:15 AM
Navigating Cape May to the Delaware --Best Route captcalyx General Discussion (sailing related) 21 01-14-2007 11:24 PM
Sailing Coach of the Year for the Cape and Islands (Cape Cod Times) NewsReader News Feeds 0 08-04-2006 08:15 AM
Cape of Good Hope cruising route seerose Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 0 12-09-2001 08:07 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:08 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.