Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
i just got hit with that virus thing again,looks like someone at sailnet would fix that EVENTUALlY
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEENONLANDTOOLONG View Post
......The dock guys do get commission......
Really? That's a new one to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-24-2011
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
Well i dont know if sailors are cheap! It all depends what you sail and how you keep up your boat! If you have cash for all your HUCK instruments and want to show them off or if you just a BIG douche bag thinking the world owes you everything or just a Complete A S S Hole on a boat! Yes we are different types of boaters some have to sail out of there slips some motor all the way to the end of a bay then put sails up! SO yes some motor boaters just dont like us! here is a short story, me and my wife will help at a community care connection for handicap people they had SAILDAY once a year for these people. SO i would be deck hand and the local sailing club sailors would donate ther time and boats to take people out! well note none of these boats are NEW nothing wrong with that either! This one dude pulls up in a Catalina 30 he maybe was coming in .3 knts not even a knot real slowwww i grab his LIFELINE he yells DON'T grab that you will rip it off! A total A S S hole so my first thoughts were to start something but i am bigger then that so i let his boat go and walked away !!

to me he is cheap or just old and grumpy and thinks he owns a supper yacht!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""

Last edited by ImASonOfaSailor; 11-24-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-24-2011

people are people where ever you go,friendly ones,rude ones and some downright sobs,i don't see a lot of difference whether on the road,on the water or anywhere else,yeah i suppose i have a sour oppinion of people in general and i don't take s++t off anybody but inside i'm all warm and fuzzy,yup uhuhuhuh
Old 11-24-2011

BEENONLANDTOOLONG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Really? That's a new one to me.
When I was a dock rat in North Carolina the rats did get a bit of the fuel pie as well we split the meager tips.A very long time ago.
I as well a lot of the broke sailors I knew gave the word CHEAP a new meaning to the docks.Slide in after dark out before first light.Anchor out then come in for 10 gallons of fuel and 30 gallons of water.The salt and pepper shakers kind of resembled restaurant style equipment as well the little packets of sugar.I was 19 then and did not have a penny to spare.Worked as I could then went as far as that money would take me.Ah fond memories.
Now that I am getting back into moving a few boats around I do tip and actually stay at the dock with a reservation if offshore is not inviting.
As said people are people on land or sea.
Old 11-24-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASonOfaSailor View Post
...............This one dude pulls up in a Catalina 30 he maybe was coming in .3 knts not even a knot real slowwww i grab his LIFELINE he yells DON'T grab that you will rip it off! A total A S S hole so my first thoughts were to start something but i am bigger then that so i let his boat go and walked away !!

to me he is cheap or just old and grumpy and thinks he owns a supper yacht!
Allow me to present the other side of this story. I often approach a dock very slowly and with plans to stop my vessel before securing dock lines. I appreciate help on the dock and I know the intentions are good, but I'm continually defending my old, meager, but precious to me boat, from those that try to stop my 13 ton vessel moving at one third of a knot by grabbing lifelines, prying on stanchions, shrouds or running rigging that is not designed to take the stresses of docking. I usually hand the person on the dock a mid-ship line with a lot of slack so they won't do any harm while I tie up my boat and then I thank them. It's not unusal to see someone hand a bow line to a well-meaning dock hand that snubs the moving boat tight and the stern is swung out of reach while the bow crashes into the dock. My take on the story is that the boat owner was nervous and too loud with his response, but only trying to protect his boat and his docking plan. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
sawingknots likes this.
Old 11-24-2011
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
It is astonishing that people in marinas as well as employees at marinas after their first day continue to grab at standing rigging , lifelines and stantions.
Just more testiment to the general IQ of folks,sadly.
It is particularly disturbing when it is other "boaters" who do it (grab at rigging,etc.)
As pointed out be Capt.F do you actually think you'll stop my 10 ton craft by yanking on a lifeline,stantion or shroud?
As for tipping , I go back and forth w/ it.
On one hand I thought tipping was appreciation of excellent service.
Although some would have me believe it's to subsidize the employers paltry wage rate.
and to those I would suggest that you find an employer that pays a wage commensurate w/ your living requirements and to not depend on the gratuity of the patrons , particularly when no or little actual service has been performed .
As for assistence in docking, I got it. don't want or need your help.
Should I require help, I'll instruct my crew or not dock.

Oh, the virus tried to get me again , but I'm too fast for it!
Old 11-24-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
When I back down the fairway and have to slip into the middle of a long peer, it is very helpful to have one person on the dock to take one line and tie it to one cleat. At my last marina, I actually had a different color line on the dock that they just needed to hand us, but this approach is not into a finger slip, so it doesn't work well.

We sail a lot, estimate 60 days last season. Tipping the kids each time is a pain when we don't have the right cash aboard, but we do tip. It is not a requirement that they come help. Fueling, cleaning bathrooms and other yard duties come first. When they drop what they are doing, I feel they are making a rewardable effort. We can and do get in ourselves, but it takes a lot of pressure off to have one set of hands. There was one kid on duty this past season that you got to know would ignore you. The others were tipped more. I would substantially prefer to be able to make one big donation to an end of season fund, which other clubs I've belonged to will do.

The only tipping quandary I got into this past year was when we raced a thunderstorm to shore and had to dock in a foreign marina, down a complex fairway and into a double fingerslip that was 2/3rds the length of our boat in 30 kt wind and a 2kt river current. They brought 8 dock hands and the dock master. We did it without a scratch, but I had no idea who to tip, most scattered as soon as we were secure. Ironically, it was the most deserving of the year.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-24-2011

actually when i pull into my slip i'd rather do it myself,i almost always singlehand and i don't want to become dependant on someone who might not be there, same with fuel docks if someone offers fine if not also fine
Old 11-24-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
I don't generally consider "cheap" much of an insult

"Lazy" is an insult.

When a sailor complains about yard rates to do a job he was either to lazy to do, to lazy to learn the skills to do, or had other priorities that were more important to him, then he is cheap and lazy. He just doesn't see it that way.

So either do the job yourself or pay the ticket. I never have a problem paying for work I can't do; I just paid a fair lick for a dodger, for though I have many skills, that sort of sewing project was beyond my skill set.

Yes, occasionally it is an equipment thing, tools that are too much to buy. I can't justify my own travel lift. So pay the ticket, because they aren't cheap, and fix everything you can while you have the chance.

Tipping? I would really rather it was just added into the service, the workers were paid better, and I could show gratitude with sincere words. I held many jobs as a younger man were tipping was occasionally appropriate. I honestly preferred sincere words and found the whole business distasteful, as though I would not have done as well if a tip were not expected. Of course, I had no problem with annual bonuses!
jimrafford likes this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber