Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
are sailors cheap

while cruising and you pull into a strange marina do you get a less than a warm welcome as apposed to trawlers or power boat cruisers?is it only because sailboats use so little fuel or is there something else i'm missing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2011

b40Ibis is on a distinguished road
My first reaction is F-them. but... Tip well and maybe get better service. I always drop the hint- 'yo mate, I tip' I think that is what the dock hands want. They make about $8/hr. But I guess it is just as easy to fuel up 400 gallons as it is for 40, so there probably will be some preference for the high rollers. However, as you know, the dockage for sail and stink boats is the same. (not for cats)
Does everyone tip regularly? Or am I wasting my $?
Old 11-19-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawingknots View Post
while cruising and you pull into a strange marina do you get a less than a warm welcome as apposed to trawlers or power boat cruisers?is it only because sailboats use so little fuel or is there something else i'm missing
We have never had such an experience. In every case harbor masters and staff have been very accommodating and have made us feel quite welcome. Some marina's are nicer, i.e. more elaborate, than others but the staff have pretty much always been very nice. We generally find that most folks treat one as they are treated.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 11-19-2011

We generally find that most folks treat one as they are treated.

FWIW...[/QUOTE]

i agree but i mean when you first approch and before you've even spoke! and i'm not talking about dock hands but more on a management level
Old 11-19-2011

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Of course sailors are cheap. The wind is free and everything should be.

We pulled into a city marina in Florida a few years back. The wife wanted a shower. I asked the attendant how much keeping in mind we were on an older 25 ft Hunter. She said free! SCORE!
Boasun and jameswilson29 like this.
Old 11-19-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
Actually on long islands peconic bay there are several marinas that limit there sailboat population as fuel docks are rare and it is big part of there income

On the other hand sailboats are very big in Northport,Centerport and it does not happen at all

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-19-2011

[QUOTE=Captainmeme;798704]Of course sailors are cheap. The wind is free and everything should be.

shhh,they might figure how to tax the wind too what with the deficit and all
Old 11-19-2011

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
Before you say anything; How you present your self & your craft kind of tells it all! Display your towels and laundry, or come in screaming at your wife as you screw up your landing .you can expect less than warm welcome. I find friendly & a tip goes a long way. As to sailors being cheap, you have to know better than that : this is one of the more costly sports out there--maybe we're just BROKE! ---Dale
Sunday Driver likes this.
Where God got it done!
Old 11-19-2011

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
This one is!

But I have have always been welcomed and assisted at any marina we have pulled into. When we have pulled in, we have always gotten a slip for the night so maybe that has made the difference. I have never just pulled up to the fuel dock.
Old 11-19-2011

fallard is on a distinguished road
There are some marinas that cater to the powerboat set and would just as soon not deal with sailboats. I once left my sailboat at a powerboat marina for a week and a half in Manatee Pocket in Florida and upon my return the dockhand told me he got grief for taking me in. They still collected the $500+ slip fee (This was 1996 dollars). On top of that, I stayed in their motel and used their restaurant the night I dropped the boat off. Nonetheless, no one gave me a hard time. Yes, I did tip.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.