Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
Seriously, the carrying capacity of a boat is one of the reasons that it is hard to do this trip in a boat that small. The amount of water that the average American uses in a few days would swamp a boat that size. Food, water, motor and cooking fuel, tools, spare parts... can quickly lower a small boat's waterline to where it's dangerously low in the water in rough conditions.
Another concern is the crew's ability to rough it while being bounced around in a boisterous ocean for a few weeks, and knowing their realistic limits and abilities. Another is knowing the crew's self-sufficiency, ability to improvise, ability to stay mentally focused and upbeat in an alien environment far far from help when things go wrong -- and things do go wrong unexpectedly at sea.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2011

paul323 is on a distinguished road
A lot depends upon the boat, as well as the crew. Some boats will take care of even a less experienced sailor - other boats are simply not up to the task.

With the right boat, you then need to look at experience. You will need some - things will break, scary things will happen, you need to know how to deal with them When you have the boat, start sailing it - in all sorts of weather. Initially inshore, then cautiously a few overnight offshore trips. Make sure you have the right safety equipment. Be cautious, take it slow, get advice from experienced sailors...as you build experience, you'll understand better what it will take - and when you will be ready.

Boats are expensive to own and maintain, a lot of work to sail, but a well-found boat and reasonable experience will take you anywhere.
Old 11-20-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
A catamaran sailing cruising adventure, isn't it time for yours?

This couple did it in a 28' catamaran, and they don't seem like "iron sailors" with decades of experience. My understanding is that that particular part of the Pacific is relatively "pacific". You may know that a 28' catamaran has the carrying capacity of a significantly smaller monohull (one of the disadvantages of a multihull)...

Although I dream about doing these kinds of things, in practice I think I'd go nuts if I were confined to a small boat for 30 days or more. I think I could do it, but it would be a truly un-romantic, boring, prison-like experience I think. Others may see this differently of course, but I know my self.

If you were serious about it, you can pick up a 25' cape dory for about $3500 and with a few mods it would be seaworthy enough for the trip, or so say people with much more experience than I.
northoceanbeach likes this.
Old 11-20-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
This couple did it in an Albin Vega (27'); Hawaii to Washington a few years ago, and SF to Hawaii this summer. They are also on SN from time to time.

voyaging under sail, Cruising Lealea Home

As mentioned above, others have made the trip in small boats, including several participants in the Singlehanded Transpac. As I recall, one guy did the SHTP in a West Wight Potter (19'?) several years ago.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 11-20-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
This couple did it in an Albin Vega (27'); Hawaii to Washington a few years ago, and SF to Hawaii this summer. They are also on SN from time to time.

voyaging under sail, Cruising Lealea Home

As mentioned above, others have made the trip in small boats, including several participants in the Singlehanded Transpac. As I recall, one guy did the SHTP in a West Wight Potter (19'?) several years ago.

Have a look at ...

Any Given Weekend - Hazey Daze.

At the end there's a pic re a Dutch Albin Vega that is now in Oz.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 11-21-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
How can you "seriously" consider that which you know nothing about?
Go sailing, see if you even like it. If you do then start doing your homework and decide if sailing to Hawaii is something important enough to you to learn what you need to know to do it and not die.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 11-21-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
Anything is possible, but that doesn't make it practical. 6 months may seem like an eternity to you (although, as I age, it starts to feel like minutes), but unless you're talking about spending all 180+ days learning to sail, you're biting off a pretty big chunk. 3,000 (learned something, btw) is a long, long, long way. Did I mention that's a long way?

Again, anything is possible, but it may be a little more involved than you think. Do like others have suggested and spend some serious time on the water first, then decide for yourself. But....when you're "gaining that experience", make sure it's far enough away from shore that you can't see land. That feeling is a little spooky the very first time. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-21-2011

businessonly805 is on a distinguished road
hey thanks you guys. this is all good input.
Old 11-21-2011

mm2187 is on a distinguished road
Could you even carry enough fuel, water and food to survive a month at sea. Not to mention a 30 day supply of batteries for your handheld GPS and VHF radio?
Old 11-21-2011
Wannabe

dmcMaine is on a distinguished road
California to HI? Never sailed before?

Good grief! I'm an itchy trigger finger away from buying my first boat - a 28ft pearson triton - and just the thought spring launch and moving her from the marina where she is to where I want her is almost enough to give me hives. And that is literally just a 2 hour motor.

Get on some boats, sail them. See if you like it. See how prone you are to motion sickness. See if you can take the cramped cabin. Start to learn what moving a boat from point a to point b requires. There are so many little critical details.

The biggest problem you have right now is that you don't even know what you don't know. I'd suspect after 6 months of sailing you'll start to have an inkling of the right questions to ask.

Good luck! and fair winds!
DRFerron likes this.