Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
There are 2 issues presented by your post:

1. Is a 25-27 foot boat sufficiently large and seaworthy to make it from California to Hawaii?

Answer: Yes, of course, many smaller boats have even circumnavigated when well-prepared with an experienced captain.

2. Can someone who has never even sailed before make it from California to Hawaii on a small boat?

Answer: Probably not. Rent an EPIRB from Boat/US and a liferaft, try not to hit any stationary or moving objects.

I will save you time by writing your next 2 posts for you: "Do you think __________ (fill in the blank with your random choice of a production, lightly-built, designed-for-inland-cruising, known-to-have-structural-issues-as-it-ages, foolish-choice-for-a-blue-water-vessel) is a good sailboat to sail to Hawaii from Calif.?

Your third post: "I was out sailing yesterday and the deck separated from the hull, leaving a gaping 2 foot hole from stern to bow, while my bulkheads collapsed onto the cabin floor, the keel fell off, and the mast collapsed. Is this normal?"
davidpm and northoceanbeach like this.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 11-21-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2011
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Yes, it can be done. Your sailing ability and chosen vessel are two major pieces of the equation. But there are countless other components to consider (weather, equipment, navigation, currents, provisions, intended route, season/timing, endurance, costs, motivations, etc.).

If you're a reader, you may consider the following books to give you a flavor of just such a voyage:

Maiden Voyage by Tania Aebi

Kowabunga's South Seas Adventure by Charles Dewell

Dove by Robin Lee Graham

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-21-2011

JedNeck is on a distinguished road
I say do it...tommorrow...

Win or lose, NewsReader will be posting your story here. Then the only question is "what will the head line be?"
Inexperienced Sailor Makes It From CA To HI.

Or...

Foolish Young Man Dies At Sea.

I know which one the odds are on...

I have been sailing for about as long as your talking...6 months or so nearly everyday that there is enough wind. I live on a lake and I can see my boat from where I'm sitting as I type.
I drag race cars, Mt. Bike, snorkel, wakeboard, run my Ski boat up to 70mph, ride motorcycles(street&dirt) and I go wheelin...but...I have never been as heart pumpingly terrified as I am when I'm single handing, my Cal21 is well heeled, doing 5knots and a gust hits...I will get over it but I'm going to tell you 6months of casual sailing won't do it.
HDChopper likes this.
Old 11-21-2011

KnottyGurl is on a distinguished road
Make sure you outfit the boat for the voyage, watermaker is important on small boat but takes up valuable space, food consideration ( will be more dried style) due to smaller storage, cloths will take up more then anything, suitcases are a PITA and stowage is a concern. Electronics a must, plus a spare handheld gps/vhf as well. You really need to know your boat and its condition, spares will be needed but your boat will decide which spares are needed, tools, fuel, extra sails, all add up very quickly.
Then you have added electronics, AIS, Radar, SSB this takes up wall mounted space so you can kiss the quaterberth goodbye, may as well place the water mater in there as well so its filled up with minimal wasted space.
Then you need the route books, crusing guides for along the way, lets not forget charts both paper and electronic, basic plotters tools, maybe sextant ( you can learn this yourself as you passage) now you need to replenish power, solar, wind, motor, this takes space and maintenance too.
Can you do it, not sure only you can decide. Can it be done yup.
preperation and knowledge will be your best guide pre passage, post passage will tell you where you figured wrong and the expense to re fit to make it right back home.

Play hard, Stay safe
Old 11-21-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
First try -

SF Bay to Santa Cruz ( an easy 1 day sail )

and/or

Newport Harbor to San Diego (also an easy 1 day sail)

and work up from 1-2 day overnight voyages to a 20 day overnight voyage of coastal cruising - after a couple of 20 day coastal cruising voyages, you'll have enough experience to risk a 2,200 mile passage.
killarney_sailor likes this.
Old 11-21-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedNeck View Post
I drag race cars, Mt. Bike, snorkel, wakeboard, run my Ski boat up to 70mph, ride motorcycles(street&dirt) and I go wheelin...but...I have never been as heart pumpingly terrified as I am when I'm single handing, my Cal21 is well heeled, doing 5knots and a gust hits...I will get over it but I'm going to tell you 6months of casual sailing won't do it.
lol so true.
Old 11-21-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
I will save you time by writing your next 2 posts for you: "Do you think __________ (fill in the blank with your random choice of a production, lightly-built, designed-for-inland-cruising, known-to-have-structural-issues-as-it-ages, foolish-choice-for-a-blue-water-vessel) is a good sailboat to sail to Hawaii from Calif.?

Your third post: "I was out sailing yesterday and the deck separated from the hull, leaving a gaping 2 foot hole from stern to bow, while my bulkheads collapsed onto the cabin floor, the keel fell off, and the mast collapsed. Is this normal?"
this is pretty rare even in cheap production boats
Old 11-21-2011

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Of course it can be done.
But the sailors that have the ability and knowledge to make such a voyage don't ask about it on Bulletin Boards.
Bilgewater likes this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 11-21-2011

PaulfromNWOnt is on a distinguished road
WOW!! Harsh I can understand, but the condescension in some of these posts is unbelievable.

Here's my perspective:
People have done worse with less.
Luck plays a part in any voyage, but how much of it you'll need depends on many things.

Look into the "Bumfuzzles". Interesting similarities, and differences.

Can it be done? Absolutely
Should it be done? Well.....
Old 11-21-2011

Semloh is on a distinguished road
Some of the best memories of my life are things I shouldn't have done.
All of the worst are