Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Of course it can be done.
But the sailors that have the ability and knowledge to make such a voyage don't ask about it on Bulletin Boards.
yeah that's just being snarky

then again, nothing will take the romance out of the head of someone dreaming of "going offshore" like taking out a small sailboat in 30 knot winds and 6' confused seas, then imagining doing that for days, hundreds of miles from land and any chance of getting help if conditions got worse... it sure got my head out of the clouds
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
i've been sailing for about 10 years and i know my boat,every wire, every bolt and screw except for some unforeseen event i'm sure it would make such a trip but i've been on large naval ships and in storms that if in a small sailboat i can't even comprehend surviving and storms aren't even the biggest danger,even with a eperb any help could be days away
Old 11-22-2011

Chris King is on a distinguished road
Business, you didn't say where in California you are. In the bay area there is a free magazine called Latitude 38. Check out a copy. I think you might find quite a bit of useful information there about sailing off the California coast. It has many stories of folks that start a voyage from here.

The most successful way Californians get into cruising is to first sail to Mexico. This will involve some overnight passages. But you never have to be out more than one or two nights. Of course you can if you want to. It's nice to have options.

Once you get to Mexico, you will know your boat well and you have lots of options. You could go to Hawaii but most people head for the Marquesas. If you choose not to go west there is lots of cool stuff in Central or South America. Or you could go though the canal and into the Caribbean.

I have never done any of this stuff so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Old 11-22-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
I agree there's a lot of down-talking going on in this thread. Not entirely off-base as it is a foolhardy plan, but okay, the first three posters who said so probably convinced the OP.

I think the dangers are being overstated somewhat. Maybe this is because lately we have been reading a few horror stories on this forum, many involving experienced sailors. But such stories always get more attention than the far more numerous success stories.

In all likelihood, if the OP buys a boat tomorrow he will be so rapidly overwhelmed by all the things he has to do, that he will realize the magnitude of what he was planning to undertake, and put it off until he's closer to ready.

To the original poster: make sure you have a secure place (a floating dock) to keep your boat when you get it. It will make a lot easier to do whatever repairs and upgrades your boat needs for the big journey. Figure this out *before* you buy the boat.
Faster likes this.
Old 11-22-2011

creedence623 is on a distinguished road
I've said it before, but Sailnetters can be a very conservative group when it comes to things like this. It's not a bad thing at all, but you have to know how the population is slanted if you want to know how to guage the feedback you're getting.

You get a reasonable boat, get it surveyed, capable of doing the trip, and I'll sail with you. Should take some of the steepness off the learning curve. I've been sailing for about 10 years now, have owned 4 boats up to 36 foot, have sailed all around Hawaii, and have always wanted to do the Cali-Hawaii run.

Regardless of who, consider taking someone along who knows a thing or two about sailing, and you're on you way!

Be safe
Agri likes this.
Old 11-23-2011

JedNeck is on a distinguished road
At a minimum take a navigation class. Electronics break and Hawaii is a pretty small bullseye to hit in a 29' dart with thousand of miles of water in any direction.

If you have the gumption. Put it together and make it happen. I don't think any one will talk you out of it once you are properly prepared. In fact most people will cheer you on and expect pictures.
Old 11-23-2011

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
As you gain experience, you will learn that the vast majority of boats in that range of size are what we call coastal cruisers. That means what it sounds like: that they are designed to be used close to the coast, for day sailing and weekends. Most boats that size simply are not desgined for what we call blue water sailing, i.e., days or weeks at sea in varying sea states and all kinds of wind and weather. The pounding that boats will take in these conditions can cause equipment to break down. On a trip of this nature, you are a long way from help if anything happens. Can a long trip of this nature be done in a coastal cruiser? Certainly. Is it wise? Probably not. Even for an experienced sailor.

There are some boats built in that size range that are blue water capable but the vast majoriity of blue water capable boats are larger. Another problem with doing a trip like this in a boat that size is that it will take you a much longer time than it would in a larger boat. You are limited to your hull speed, which directly correlates to the length of your water line. The longer you are on the water, the greater the odds of running into bad weather and the lesser your ability to project a favorable weather window.

Given your lack of experience, I have to confess that I don't like the idea.
Old 11-23-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessonly805 View Post
is this possible? would this be a really scary thing to do? im seriously considering it..but have never sailed before.
Google "Single Handed TransPac". Yachts as small as 20 feet ("Black Feathers") have made the trip many times. You have no doubt read "Dove" by Robin Lee Graham who, beginning at the age of 16, sailed (most of the way) around the world in a 24 foot Lapworth sloop. (He regarded his trip from San Pedro to Hawaii as a "shake-down" as it's a relatively easy trip.) John Neal of Mahina Expeditions began his ocean voyages on a 27' Albin Vega--sailing out of Seattle. Eighteen year old Tania Aebi sailed around the world alone on a 26 foot Contessa--Varuna--as detailed in her book "Maiden Voyage". James Baldwin has made two circumnavigations on his Atom--a 50+ year old 28 foot Pearson Triton (see "Atom Voyages"). None of the foregoing had particularly extensive sailing experience before they began--tho' some. Tania had probably the toughest beginner training--a whole gale between New York and Bermuda--but learned quickly.

Given the foregoing, there is no reason why you could not make such a cruise with a year or two of sail training (and San Francisco Bay is a good training ground.)

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 11-23-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Correct reference to Tania Aebi's boat--
Old 11-23-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
I say go for it! Only you will know if you are ready...

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 11-23-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Google "Single Handed TransPac". Yachts as small as 20 feet ("Black Feathers") have made the trip many times. You have no doubt read "Dove" by Robin Lee Graham who, beginning at the age of 16, sailed (most of the way) around the world in a 24 foot Lapworth sloop. (He regarded his trip from San Pedro to Hawaii as a "shake-down" as it's a relatively easy trip.) John Neal of Mahina Expeditions began his ocean voyages on a 27' Albin Vega--sailing out of Seattle. Eighteen year old Tania Aebi sailed around the world alone on a 26 foot Folk Boat--Varuna--as detailed in her book "Maiden Voyage". James Baldwin has made two circumnavigations on his Atom--a 50+ year old 28 foot Pearson Triton (see "Atom Voyages"). None of the foregoing had particularly extensive sailing experience before they began--tho' some. Tania had probably the toughest beginner training--a whole gale between New York and Bermuda--but learned quickly.

Given the foregoing, there is no reason why you could not make such a cruise with a year or two of sail training (and San Francisco Bay is a good training ground.)

FWIW...
Also, check out this site, and take a look at the log and the problems Matt has had.
Solo Around the America's Under Sail | An audacious attempt at sailing the Northwest Passage and circumnavigating entirety of both continents, to benefit Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating
You can do anything you want- as long as you prepare yourself and your equipment.

Note his boat is a 27 foot Albin Vega.