Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011

businessonly805 is on a distinguished road
sailing from california to hawaii on 25-27 footer

is this possible? would this be a really scary thing to do? im seriously considering it..but have never sailed before.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2011
..........huh?..

Izzy1414 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessonly805 View Post
is this possible? would this be a really scary thing to do? im seriously considering it..but have never sailed before.
Yes, it is possible. It has been done countless times on boats that size and smaller ... the right boat and an experienced crew. Someone with no sailing experience? Scary is only one adjective I would use. Foolhardy and possibly suicidal come to mind unless you're just talking about hitching a ride on a well found boat with an experienced crew.

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy
Old 11-20-2011
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
Heard the one about the three best friend computer nerds who bought a 22-foot Catalina and sailed to Hawaii? A few days along the voyage the beer ran out. When they got to Oahu they hated each others' guts, sold the boat, and flew home.

Seriously... a much shorter test voyage is extremely recommended, along with learning all you can. Consider that only a minority of experienced sailors have completed a voyage this ambitious.

Last edited by rgscpat; 11-20-2011 at 02:39 AM.
Old 11-20-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
i wouldn't without an eperb hmmm i wouldn't with an eperb,lots can happen in 3000 thousand miles of open ocean
KnottyGurl likes this.
Old 11-20-2011

businessonly805 is on a distinguished road
sailing for months

if i were to sail for several months straight, maybe 6 months, and learn as much as possible through the internet and other sailors i run into, do you think i may be good enough to voyage to hawaii by then?...i know theres many sailors who sail but im talking about living on the boat so 7 months straight sailing or 6 months i think would be good enough practice, but i could be wrong, thats why im asking you guys
Old 11-20-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Sailing experience does not work like that. You could sailing every day for six months and have a nice every day and not learn a fraction of the things you would need to know to head offshore. You learn when things go wrong, not when they go right.

Find someone to crew for to Hawaii or somewhere else (Mexico?). There is so much to learn and it can't be speeded up that much - that is one of the joys of sailing. I have been doing it for more than 40 years and still am constantly learning. Did not go offshore (NYC to Bermuda which is less than 700 miles) until I had about 20 years under the belt.
Old 11-20-2011

Semloh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Heard the one about the three best friend computer nerds who bought a 22-foot Catalina and sailed to Hawaii? A few days along the voyage the beer ran out. When they got to Oahu they hated each others' guts, sold the boat, and flew home.
Thatís why this is such a hard trip. You need a lot of beer to make a long trip like that. If you can shorten the amount of time it takes to get there then you donít have to carry so much beer. But beer is heavy and lighter sailboats go faster so if you carry enough beer you are too heavy to go fast so you need even more beer. It's a vicious cycle
creedence623 and SVAuspicious like this.
Old 11-20-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semloh View Post
You need a lot of beer to make a long trip like that.
business doesn't sound old enough to drink beer yet and if he is, he should know better than to attempt this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 11-20-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Our club is nearing 50 years old... in the formative years when there were perhaps 20-24 members near half of them were crossing oceans in boats that today many wouldn't take across a large lake.

Yes it can be done.. today's sailors are not nearly as hardy a bunch, as a rule, as the 'old days' of wooden ships and iron sailors. Robin Graham did it in the 60s as a teenager, but most of the people tackling that trip will have had decades if not years of coastal sailing prior to making that leap.

From your own description of the 'space' you're in right now, I'd say you're a long way from ready... but there's always a 'but'......

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-20-2011
hydroholic

Sail The World is on a distinguished road
might be a better idea to make your first sail a shorter voyage closer to shore