Venezuelan Navy intervention with US Sailboat provokes the loss of our vessel - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011

apueJbien is on a distinguished road
They asked us to change our course, and insisted that we sail they way they wanted to; we had to instruct them how the sailboat couldn't do what they wanted us to do; we will publish the official report, working with the insurance company. A very stressful experience when you are being followed by an armed vessel.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2011

neverknow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Moderators warning ... this thread lurches perilously close to being counted as political. If it descends further into discussion of the rights and wrongs, the lefts and rights and the sanity or otherwise of Hugo Chavez it will end up being punted to Off Topic.

That said I too wonder why any American, given the discord twixt successive US administrations and the Chavez regime, would choose to go to Venezuela.

Please do not punt this until we get a official report of what happened. I for one would love to here the details of how they were forced to run aground.
Old 11-22-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverknow View Post
Please do not punt this until we get a official report of what happened. I for one would love to here the details of how they were forced to run aground.
Not going to punt it. I too want to understand what happened here but if it descends into a merely political discussion it will end up in Off Topic.

I hope that doesn't happen.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 11-25-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
So a discussion on the rights and wrongs of a Venezualan Navy vessel and crew are not political, but the discussion of someone's socail and management skills are?

The distinction eludes me. It is, ah, to be found in what? The paucity of military sailing skills, as opposed to management styles? (It did seem like the style was at quesiton, more so than the skills, but perhaps I misread that.)
Old 11-26-2011
turretgunner

1833usmc is on a distinguished road
You were very fortunate to get out unhurt. Thank God. Remember folks... check with the U.S. State Department travel warning list AND
And any country that is governed under a non democratic system;
"STAY AWAY FROM IT!"
Old 12-01-2011

ftldiver is on a distinguished road
well?
Old 12-01-2011

steel is on a distinguished road
What would happen if they were told that you were unable to sail and you need a tow?
Old 12-04-2011
Lookin' for an excuse ...

CaptTony is on a distinguished road
If the Venezuela Coast Guard is unaware of the sailing charactistics of a sailboat, the last thing I would want is for them to tow my boat. What if they decide they want to get back to port quickly (it was about to get dark)? The 41' sailboat probably has a hull speed of about 8 knots. I can just see the inept Venezuela Coast Guard trying to do 10 knots or more to port. The loser in that battle will probably be the sailboat. Not a good scenario. Clearly, the owner had a difficult choice.
Old 12-04-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by apueJbien View Post
They asked us to change our course, and insisted that we sail they way they wanted to; we had to instruct them how the sailboat couldn't do what they wanted us to do; we will publish the official report, working with the insurance company. A very stressful experience when you are being followed by an armed vessel.
We are still waiting for that report.

What you tell us is vague.

Asked to change the course? And how that will endanger your boat? You explain them what you could and could not do, it seems that they have accepted that. You were doing what your boat could do? How has that lead to an accident? What part on that accident is due to the Venezuelan Navy and why?

Lots of questions. When you have time tell us all the story please.

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-04-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
So a discussion on the rights and wrongs of a Venezualan Navy vessel and crew are not political, but the discussion of someone's socail and management skills are?

The distinction eludes me. It is, ah, to be found in what? The paucity of military sailing skills, as opposed to management styles? (It did seem like the style was at quesiton, more so than the skills, but perhaps I misread that.)
HS,

Apologies but I missed your post last week.

A discussion on the pros and cons, the sanity or otherwise of any nations leader is bound to end up in off topic. Such a discussion has absolutely nothing to do with sailing as such. The behaviour of a Venezuelan naval vessel and its impact on a sailing vessel is however sailing related, not necessarily political.

Hey, it may stray there and if it does then off to the sewer we go though to date it has not gone off the tracks.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Tags
los roques , sailingthecaribbean , venezuela , venezuelan coast guard , venezuelan navy