Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2003
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Jeff_H & others on the Coast & Chesapeake

The news up and down the bay is a very mixed bag. Lots of boats (including mine) came through just fine. In my case, I was on a business trip that entire week and had only taken basic precautions before I left that sunday (doubled the docklines, tied up the exterior canvas, put out extra fenders.) Two friends went the extra mile for my boat while I was gone, letting out the docklines to account for the storm surge, adding even more ties to the exterior canvas and jib, which I had left up, etc. My thanks to them!!!

Three boats sank in their slips at my marina, which is on a creek near the mouth of the Patapsco south of Baltimore. Many other boats were damaged when pilings broke in half, or pulled out of the bottom entirely. One boat lost its rig because its slip had it beam to the waves/wind, and one shroud was sawed in two by the rig of the boat next to it as they rolled back and forth.

Some marinas to the south of Annapolis are reported to have lost entire piers, leading to many damaged boats. There are many damaged boats and marinas in the Tidewater area from reports.

Looks like the sailing season is over for lots of Chesapeake sailors, either because their boats are in need of repiar, or their docks are. The strange thing is that it didn''t rain all that much, but the wind really brought a LOT of water up the bay. The prior record flood in Annapolis was about 6.3 feet in 1933. This one was measured at about 7.5 feet. Imagine an extra 7.5 feet of water on the entire bay. It boggles the mind, especially given that the average depth of the bay is only about 20 feet.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2003

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear your boat came through fine, too, SailorMitch!

Duane
Old 09-26-2003

flicker is on a distinguished road

Thursday, before the storm, I put an additional 6 lines on my boat.

The next morning I couldn''t get close my boat because of flooding on the streets and sidewalks but I could see that all the boats looked neatly tied up, and eerily still. The pier was not visible except for the lightposts.

On Saturday, I could get to the boat and see that only one of the 13 lines I had used had chafed through. And the pier was missing a couple of large sections.

The worst part was watching the residents of Thames Point Apartments throwing all their furniture-- rattan chairs, sofas, tables, stereos-- into the dumpster out front.

Chas
Old 09-26-2003

pblais is on a distinguished road

I live on Guinea Neck on the north shoreof the York river down at the deep end of the pool. We were very lucky at our house as we are at the fat end of the neck that is 8 miles long. Folks more than 2 miles down did not do well at all. In an area that is only 2-3 ft above high tide a surge of 5 ft is a no win deal. Folks with a long fetch on the shore were hurt even more. Some folks moved 50 ft closer to the shore as a result.

I think most people on the whole bay did well since the winds did not trash buildings really bad but the surge was enouh when combined with the wind to lay out some serious hurt. I know I was exceptioanlly lucky. The house took no damage but water was three ft from the foot of my deck and I bent a wind generator mast on the boat. The boat did well with double lines in a wide slip. Water went to the top of the electrical / water bollards on the dock. We had trouble in our marina with the boats coming down and getting hung on TOP of the pilings. Only one boat was unable to be rescused. I think that says a lot. Most folks survived with minor damage but some took a very serious hit.

Isabel layed some real hurt to many people. It''s easy to say it could have been worse. Had it been any bit worse I know I would have joined them. We have folks near me that won''t get power until Halloween! We have whole subdivisions that are now gone! Down here it was not as bad as the big one of 1933 but it is the worst one since.

The ironic part of all this is while Isabel was trashing my neighborhood I was in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico on vacation as hurricane Marty was coming directly at me just a few days after. I thought about the boat a lot.

I''ve had a two hurricanes compacted into a week. Needless to say my respect for them has gone to a different level. TV news as good as the pictures are is nothing like the real thing.
Old 10-01-2003

Johnrb is on a distinguished road

I received the following mesage from an Albin Vega newsgroup. Talk about jinxed.

"Probably not too many people can claim to have boats hit by hurricanes three thousand miles apart during the same week.

My 42'' motor sailor, Toad is a total loss after being driven ashore at Bahia San Carlos, Mexico, during hurricane Marti. This was a real funky boat, and can be seen at http://mightytoad.slickness.org.

My Vega, Vagabundo, was sitting at Heisler''s boatyard in Chester Nova Scotia which is about 40 miles from Halifax, which was struck by a hurricane this past week. I haven''t yet called to see how Vagabundo fared.

I have a couple of other boats, but they are here in Arizona, where hurricanes are pretty rare."