Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Had to have a lithotrypsy - since the gnawly buggers were too big to pass through a 4 mm ureter. That involved an OR procedure under general anetheshia, where a device blasted them to bits using ultrasonic frequencies through water.

Some particles remained for a few days though - had to be readmitted overnight with morphine to lessen pain. That has got to be the most pain any human can endure - glad it's all passed out of the system.

Definitely drinking lots and lots of water from now on.
Old 01-02-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Actually, I think gall stones are worse than kidney stones.. Don't ask me how I know. Morphine is your friend in either case. Get well soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
Had to have a lithotrypsy - since the gnawly buggers were too big to pass through a 4 mm ureter. That involved an OR procedure under general anetheshia, where a device blasted them to bits using ultrasonic frequencies through water.

Some particles remained for a few days though - had to be readmitted overnight with morphine to lessen pain. That has got to be the most pain any human can endure - glad it's all passed out of the system.

Definitely drinking lots and lots of water from now on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I was given morphine to deal with my cancer and then again with my heart. morphine is an interesting drug, I don't think it really takes away the pain; it is just you don't care about the pain anymore.
Old 01-02-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Regardles of the dates on the thread, the OP has an excellent point and i think this was a good one to be resurrected... especially with all the "new joes" around here recently. The point of his post should not be taken lightly. This is the exact reason that Jayme and i took our red cross, basic keel and coastal nav classes after being stuck in the deadly lightning storm. She only had experience sailing with me before the storm and it was plenty to open our eyes to the big picture. Now if we were caught in a situation like the OP's or a storm, i know that we BOTH could handle it. Of course there is always room for improvement... we want to take more classes and put more miles under the keel. I was never a boyscout but "be prepared" has stuck with me.

TB... Glad you're doing better! I can't imagine what that must have been like... hope i never know.

Old 01-02-2008

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
mea culpa. the thread was pointed out to me in a pm, and i thought i had just overlooked it

very timely though, given the recent discussions.

sorry to hear about the kidney stones. despite the advances of modern medical technology, pain management still seems to be in the dark ages. how many people out there live in pain and die in pain? far, far too many on both counts.
364 feet

our life afloat:
Old 01-02-2008
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
The dates on the posts for this thread are (1) irrelevant because it's a story worth revisiting, and (2) make sense given that bubba2 was giving an update to his 2003 post. How does one revive an old thread -- use the search function. And bubba is still around. He recently posted in the WWII thread. Beyond that, it doesn't matter who posted what or when does it?

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 01-02-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Maybe not in this case, but you have seen them, they are out there.
The threads that have not been visited in many many years by an original poster that has long since disapeared.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-02-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorMitch View Post
The dates on the posts for this thread are (1) irrelevant because it's a story worth revisiting, and (2) make sense given that bubba2 was giving an update to his 2003 post. How does one revive an old thread -- use the search function. And bubba is still around. He recently posted in the WWII thread. Beyond that, it doesn't matter who posted what or when does it?
SailorMitch... i totally agree but i want to point out (with all due respect) that your point #2 is wrong... bubba2's update was from Jan 2007... not 2008, so actually Hoffa dug the thread up..... but that doesn't really matter because your #1 point is spot on. I would probably never had seen this if Hoffa didn't dig it up.... and it was a point well taken.

One thing about the search function... we ask newbies to search for info before starting a new thread... but also critisize them for posting on old threads.... a bit of a contradiction i think.

Old 01-03-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Since we're side-tracked a bit, I'll weigh in an agreement with Joel and Mitch, hopefully not offsetting to their digestion, who both make an important distinction. The last few months have seen a marked decrease in responses to such threads as, "High tide at Hell Gate on 28 August 1973", which probably never got an answer in the first place. (g)

Many of the older posts, such as this one, bear re-reading and repeating. Sometimes, even new details are available, but in most posts it is found that little has changed and the old posts are still quite relevant. The recent post on water turbines could have benefited from reviving a previous post on water generators, one less than a year old. While the old post revealed that no one here has any real experience with towed generators, the new post revealed much the same before diverting to a discussion of wind generators. Sailnetters of some seniority could merely note the re-emergence of the thread and that they'd probably already expressed themselves upon it, and move along. Newer members, not privy to the older post's existence, and with knowledge of the subject matter, could add to the older thread and the enlightenment of the senior members.

The advantage to this, aside from any thread discipline that might tangentially occur, is that the researching sailor, probably new to sailnet, would not have to open 35 seperate threads on the danforth anchor. And, contrary to the techno-geeks presunptions, there isn't that much new under the sun. My 1973 compass works just as well as the latest offerings from Ritchie and others.

Now that I've thoroughly violated my own dictum, I'll return to the thread at hand and remark that the story told is an excellent example of the practise of seamanship, if not life. 99% of what was done and experienced, was seaman-like and obviously vastly enjoyable. There was just that one moment's inattention, and perhaps not even that, and disaster struck. I've read few better told descriptions of the necessity for continuous vigilance or proper, prior, preperation. I should read it again in a year or so, to good effect.
Old 01-03-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Court View Post
If bubb 2 is still around, I'd like to hear how your insurance company did in helping you out.
To whom it my concern, Bubb2 is alive and well, just older and grayer.

To answer some of the questions raised, The appellate court overturned the jury verdict based on case law not on the merits of the case. They ruled that we error'd on how the medical records were entered into the court record. We go back to trial on 1/22/08.

At the very beginning, surveyor's from both insurance co's (his and mine) were crawling all over the boat. They were all promising that they were going to take care of "everything" and i didn't have to worry about thing's.

The other guy's co. offered $ 6,000 to settle entire claim. My own co. offered $22,000. That's when I got my personal attorney and my own surveyor involved. After much back and forth with the other's guy Insurance Co. We settled the property damage part for $49,000. Which in the end didn't cover all the damage to the boat. In the term's of the settlement they didn't admit to liability.

My Wife has permanent nerve damage (4 crushed disks) and has loss partial function of one hand and leg as a result of the collision. She spent 3 months out of work and is still under Dr's care and receiving therapy. She has pain everyday of her life. She is an hospital nurse and subject to random drug tests. Therefore she cannot take the pain killers the Dr orders she can only take over the counter meds.

When we asked the other guy's co. to pay for my wife's medical expenses and her time out of work , thats when they claimed that the collision was my fault. The question of who was at fault was decided by the courts. That ruling is not in question at this time and was not appealed. The only question to be resolved is how much is my wife hurt and how much is proper compensation.

My insurance co has had attorney in the background all along the way. He has been very helpful to our personal attorney.

i hope answers some of the questions that some of you had. I am sorry that i must be vague but we are going back to trail on 1/22/08 and i must be careful of what i say.