Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
First Singlehanded OCEAN sail!

Today was a great day! I have been singlehanded sailing for a few months and while I have gotten VERY comfortable in the harbor, I am taking it slow when it comes to voyaging out into the Pacific. I have been out solo before, but there was NO wind that day and I just motored around. Today was AMAZING! Water conditions were near perfect. Maybe 1/2 foot waves. Wind was about 10 knots and boat was up to 7 knots. The great thing about it was it was VERY uneventful. Just sailed. Tacking, jibing, running, you name it...all done without an issue. I am lucky to live where there is sailing this good year round. I go into more detail on my blog and there is a short video.

Cuajota | The chronicles of a sailboat in Newport Beach named Cuajota.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2011
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
WTG NN glad to hear it's worken out for you .

Ride the Wind !
Old 11-23-2011
Wannabe

dmcMaine is on a distinguished road
*Looks outside at the horizontal snowfall*

I so hate you right now!

Cheers NN.
Old 11-23-2011
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Congrats Newport. I think singlehanding is the ultimate way to sail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

Old 11-23-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Good job, Newport! We'll see you here in the PNW soon!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-23-2011

5oclocksomewhere is on a distinguished road
sharin' the stoke

Thanks NPNewb for sharing the stoke!

Those of us sitting up north wearing fleece and trolling the web for sunny sailing reports are happy for you, really.
Old 11-23-2011
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
I'll be out that way in a few weeks, and I know I'll be thinking of your post and wishing for warmer weather here on the East Coast!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 11-23-2011
Relapsing

ArcherBowman is on a distinguished road
Hand woodworkers have an expression they use when someone locates an antique tool is excellent condition for very little money.

I invoke it now, with all due respect and affection as somebody who sails in East Tennessee, where though the weather permits year round sailing, there is never any wind.

Ahem: You suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
Today was a great day! I have been singlehanded sailing for a few months and while I have gotten VERY comfortable in the harbor, I am taking it slow when it comes to voyaging out into the Pacific. I have been out solo before, but there was NO wind that day and I just motored around. Today was AMAZING! Water conditions were near perfect. Maybe 1/2 foot waves. Wind was about 10 knots and boat was up to 7 knots. The great thing about it was it was VERY uneventful. Just sailed. Tacking, jibing, running, you name it...all done without an issue. I am lucky to live where there is sailing this good year round. I go into more detail on my blog and there is a short video.

cb32863 and jimgo like this.

"It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of sailing is? Love. You take a boat in to sea that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her afloat when she oughtta founder... tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens… makes her a home." Captain Malcom Reynolds, Paraphrased
Old 11-23-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
Congrats on a great day, Newport, we truly are blessed here in SoCal. I read the posts from the East Coast guys talking about rivers and currents and tides and shrink wrapping their boat in the fall and I just keep sailin' along. Gotta love the Pacific.

Mike
Old 11-23-2011

KIVALO is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post

Sooooo not fair! My boat is sitting on trailer right now and will be there until spring. Enjoy NewportNewb!

Brad
s/v KIVALO
WORK IS OVER-RATED