SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Bascule Bridge Raised Vertical Clearance??? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/81050-bascule-bridge-raised-vertical-clearance.html)

Undadar 11-23-2011 06:29 PM

Bascule Bridge Raised Vertical Clearance???

Is it possible to determine the raised vertical clearance of a bascule bridge from a chart? If not, how does one obtain this information? I understand that I can hail the operator but am an interested in knowing when I am planning the trip.

For example; reference the "Treasure Island Causeway Bascule Bridge" (St. Pete Beach, FL) on chart 11411 at 27.46N, 82.46W (approx).

Thanks!

wmmulvey 11-23-2011 06:53 PM

Chart info

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undadar (Post 800016)
Is it possible to determine the raised vertical clearance of a bascule bridge from a chart? If not, how does one obtain this information? I understand that I can hail the operator but am an interested in knowing when I am planning the trip.

For example; reference the "Treasure Island Causeway Bascule Bridge" (St. Pete Beach, FL) on chart 11411 at 27.46N, 82.46W (approx).

Thanks!

Check out ACTIVECAPTAIN.COM Its a great site and its free.

BILL
ESPA
1969 MORGAN 30

Sailormon6 11-23-2011 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undadar (Post 800016)

Thanks!

The vertical clearance of the Treasure Island Causeway Bascule Bridge (St. Pete Beach, FL) depends on whether the two front wheels of a little old lady's Ford are hanging over it.

Tempest 11-23-2011 07:03 PM

Hi Undadar

Most of the time the vertical clearance is unlimited passing through a Bascule Bridge.

I don't think I've ever passed through one that once opened still had a limited vertical clearance for my mast. There are a few bascule bridges that I've transited where there could be an issue of horizonal clearance if your beam was large enough to force you to pass under the raised portion of the bridge in order to maintain horizontal clearance from a train trestle or a bridge abutment. If that's the case here your best bet is to call the operator or the bridge authority. But you might just have to do your own math.

With the bridge you mentioned it looks like it's a two leaf opening that you pass through in the center of a channel.

See photos here: Treasure Island It looks like you should have no worries.

Maybe some one familiar with that bridge will weigh in.

Undadar 11-24-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest (Post 800025)
Most of the time the vertical clearance is unlimited passing through a Bascule Bridge.

Doh! I feel like an idiot... For some reason, I had it in my head that a bascule bridge was a vertical lift bridge where the whole roadway remains level and is just raised up. Obviously, that is not the case.

Sorry about that....

sawingknots 11-24-2011 06:12 PM

i have saw bridges that do raise like that especially rail road bridges

OlderandWiser 11-24-2011 11:20 PM

25ft if not opened.

Capt~Sam 11-25-2011 07:21 AM

bascule bridge

A bascule bridge is any bridge that can be opened and is not a fixed bridge. The horizontal and verticle clearances is marked on the chart. That is if you have the correct chart for that area.

nolatom 11-25-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt~Sam (Post 800418)
A bascule bridge is any bridge that can be opened and is not a fixed bridge. The horizontal and verticle clearances is marked on the chart. That is if you have the correct chart for that area.

I thought a bascule had two hinged pieces, a drawbridge one, a lift bridge as OP described above, and a swing bridge rotates on a turntable.

ebs001 11-25-2011 11:04 AM

Here's what wiki says A bascule bridge (sometimes referred to as a drawbridge) is a moveable bridge with a counterweight that continuously balances the span, or "leaf," throughout the entire upward swing in providing clearance for boat traffic.

Bascule is a French term for seesaw and balance, and bascule bridges operate along the same principle. They are the most common type of movable bridge in existence because they open quickly and require relatively little energy to operate.

Bascule bridges may be single or double leaf. Both have any truss structure and counterweights below the deck