Bascule Bridge Raised Vertical Clearance??? - SailNet Community
Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011

Undadar is on a distinguished road
Bascule Bridge Raised Vertical Clearance???

Is it possible to determine the raised vertical clearance of a bascule bridge from a chart? If not, how does one obtain this information? I understand that I can hail the operator but am an interested in knowing when I am planning the trip.

For example; reference the "Treasure Island Causeway Bascule Bridge" (St. Pete Beach, FL) on chart 11411 at 27.46N, 82.46W (approx).

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience. — George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2011

wmmulvey is on a distinguished road
Chart info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undadar View Post
Is it possible to determine the raised vertical clearance of a bascule bridge from a chart? If not, how does one obtain this information? I understand that I can hail the operator but am an interested in knowing when I am planning the trip.

For example; reference the "Treasure Island Causeway Bascule Bridge" (St. Pete Beach, FL) on chart 11411 at 27.46N, 82.46W (approx).

Thanks!
Check out ACTIVECAPTAIN.COM Its a great site and its free.

BILL
ESPA
1969 MORGAN 30
Old 11-23-2011

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undadar View Post

Thanks!
The vertical clearance of the Treasure Island Causeway Bascule Bridge (St. Pete Beach, FL) depends on whether the two front wheels of a little old lady's Ford are hanging over it.
Old 11-23-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Hi Undadar

Most of the time the vertical clearance is unlimited passing through a Bascule Bridge.

I don't think I've ever passed through one that once opened still had a limited vertical clearance for my mast. There are a few bascule bridges that I've transited where there could be an issue of horizonal clearance if your beam was large enough to force you to pass under the raised portion of the bridge in order to maintain horizontal clearance from a train trestle or a bridge abutment. If that's the case here your best bet is to call the operator or the bridge authority. But you might just have to do your own math.

With the bridge you mentioned it looks like it's a two leaf opening that you pass through in the center of a channel.

See photos here: Treasure Island It looks like you should have no worries.

Maybe some one familiar with that bridge will weigh in.

Last edited by Tempest; 11-23-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-24-2011

Undadar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Most of the time the vertical clearance is unlimited passing through a Bascule Bridge.
Doh! I feel like an idiot... For some reason, I had it in my head that a bascule bridge was a vertical lift bridge where the whole roadway remains level and is just raised up. Obviously, that is not the case.

Sorry about that....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience. — George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-24-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
i have saw bridges that do raise like that especially rail road bridges
Old 11-24-2011

OlderandWiser is on a distinguished road
25ft if not opened.
Old 11-25-2011

Capt~Sam is on a distinguished road
bascule bridge

A bascule bridge is any bridge that can be opened and is not a fixed bridge. The horizontal and verticle clearances is marked on the chart. That is if you have the correct chart for that area.
Old 11-25-2011

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt~Sam View Post
A bascule bridge is any bridge that can be opened and is not a fixed bridge. The horizontal and verticle clearances is marked on the chart. That is if you have the correct chart for that area.

I thought a bascule had two hinged pieces, a drawbridge one, a lift bridge as OP described above, and a swing bridge rotates on a turntable.
Old 11-25-2011

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Here's what wiki says A bascule bridge (sometimes referred to as a drawbridge) is a moveable bridge with a counterweight that continuously balances the span, or "leaf," throughout the entire upward swing in providing clearance for boat traffic.

Bascule is a French term for seesaw and balance, and bascule bridges operate along the same principle. They are the most common type of movable bridge in existence because they open quickly and require relatively little energy to operate.

Bascule bridges may be single or double leaf. Both have any truss structure and counterweights below the deck