Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
Hi all,
As someone who hopes to soon cut the ties to land, I thought I would chime in. You know, the quick cries for help are not just a problem in the water. As a Firefighter for almost 30 years, I have seen our 911 calls grow from real emergencies to calls for bloody noses, sore feet, vomiting due to drinking, loneliness, keys locked in house or car, toothache, squirrel in cupboard, snake in living room, parrot in tree, upset stomach, sneezing, itching, and on and on...

What I tell my crew is that these sillyd calls keep us in business. We rarely have fires anymore, so the "darwin" calls keep us busy. It ain't glamorous, but it pays the bills. We too, get tied up on silly calls while others are having heart attacks and other real emergencies. It is a sign of the times. Everybody wants to be helped, whether they need it or not.

So, the general public will keep calling 911 for the silly reasons listed above, and the Coast Guard for the reasons listed earlier, and both of our crews will see them soon. The rest of you know when a real emergency is occurring, and will hopefully call somebody then.

Thanks, I feel better...

Cheers, Bill

Yes, I believe it is a sign of our times: City people

No joking, but I believe you got it right, probably not only with boating. Most people just think that if they buy a sturdy, heavier boat or a big bigger boat they will be OK even if they don't know jack about the sea, wind and waves, not mention sailing. How do we change that?

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
I also see the problem of what seems to be a lot of people needing to be rescued. It seems the problem grows every year due to the fact in the United States the rich are getting richer (and poor, poorer). With this fact and the fact that marine elcectronics (GPS, EPIRB, PLB, Radar, AIS, Sonar, Chart Plotter, Electronic Auto-Pilot, SAT phone) have gotten cheaper, and the fact that adjusted for inflation good used boats (in the US) are very inexpensive. What that leads to is a lot of inexperienced people (at least in the US) buy a boat and think that all the electronics will make sailing safe and easy (like sitting at the sofa and watching TV). Also, other boat equipment like refrigeration, water makers, generators are available and inexpensive. When they get into a storm and all the electronics start to fail, or the boats systems fall apart, then they are helpless and get scared- their dreams of sailing off into the sunset are shattered- time to hit the EPIRB and get out of the nightmare.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 11-29-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
(could have done without the dirt from the planters though which made the cockpit all muddy).
Planters??

Really??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-29-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
Planters??

Really??
We had a couple of planters hanging under the dodger growing lettuce. Grew really well and added a nice touch to meals when we were in obscure spots where we could not get fresh fruits and vegetables. Made a hell of mess though.
Old 11-29-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
There are no Pan-Pan calls in the movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

These cases on this thread are in my opinion not Mayday situations but PAN PAN situations:

In radiotelephone communications, a call of three repetitions of pan-pan is used to signify that there is an urgency on board a boat, ship, aircraft or other vehicle but that, for the time being at least, there is no immediate danger to anyone's life or to the vessel itself. This is referred to as a state of urgency. This is distinct from a Mayday call, which means that there is imminent danger to life or to the continued viability of the vessel itself.

A pan pan situation has a complete different treatment than a mayday and in a sailboat in bad weather, with a disable engine and taking some water but without the risk of sinking does not call for a rescue.

What is happening is that many people, or sailors as you prefer, are calling maydays when they think the situation can lead to a life threatening event. That is no reason for a mayday. A mayday should only be called when life is effectively at imminent risk.
Yes, but when was the last time you heard a Pan-Pan in the movies - there everything is an emergency and super dramatic. I have used Pan-Pan once in 40 years when someone fell down the companionway and ended up in hospital in Bermuda 36 hours later - but her life was not in jeopardy.

It is not a new problem though. I heard a Mayday call 40 years ago from someone who was lost within 5 miles of the entrance to Erie, Pennsylvania on Lake Erie. He was lost and could not figure what all the lights meant.
Old 11-29-2011

LessTacksing is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to LessTacksing
I feel sailors should learn how to sail without the electronics, chart reading, navigation, etc. I have found that when more people start to rely more on the easier way i.e computers they have to think even about the simple things such as math.
Old 11-29-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LessTacksing View Post
I feel sailors should learn how to sail without the electronics, chart reading, navigation, etc. I have found that when more people start to rely more on the easier way i.e computers they have to think even about the simple things such as math.
I agree. I think it's OK to use electronics, and I do, but I also know how to plot a DR course on a paper chart, take a fix, etc. I keep current paper charts as backup and have used one while underway when the netbook got quirky.

However, now that one can practically run the boat from an iPhone or iPad, it will be increasingly difficult to convince people of the need for manual redundancy.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 11-29-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LessTacksing View Post
Agree. I also think sailors can get overwhelmed with all the electronic displays and outputs (information overload) and then miss the big picture (freighter about to run them down). I am going to take out all unecessary electronics and concentrate on the real world around me.

Last edited by casey1999; 11-29-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-29-2011

skippertips is on a distinguished road
Many folks don't seem to realize the danger of the rescuer. If you are going to sea, you need to be prepared. Before you hit the Mayday or EPIRB button, realize that you will be placing a lot of lives in danger. Rescuers live with danger. But even so, it's something to consider. After 20+ years in the US Coast Guard, I saw this type of thing once in a blue moon.

I believe it has gotten worse now with "help's a push button away" technology. Seamanship is more about the equipment between your ears than the high tech stuff folks load up on for survival. More boats than ever are going long distance loaded to the gills with the survival stuff--yet just how well do they know sailing seamanship?

Captain John
Old 11-29-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
We had a couple of planters hanging under the dodger growing lettuce. Grew really well and added a nice touch to meals when we were in obscure spots where we could not get fresh fruits and vegetables. Made a hell of mess though.
Oh crikey, don't let the Wombet see this please please please .... I'm only preventing the rise of the Wombet Herb Garden by the skin of my teeth ....

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.