Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2003

colehankins is on a distinguished road
Pirates Attacks!!

Wots the skinny?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2003

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
Pirates Attacks!!

PoPI:

Someone sent this to me to give to you:

http://myfloridalegal.com/ago.nsf/aaee37715760bbce852563cc001bacf7/4c88011ac2a977978525657600624d60!OpenDocument

Hope it helps!
Old 11-21-2003

colehankins is on a distinguished road
Pirates Attacks!!

You gotta love that last paragraph of the attachment. Sucks for them, good for us
Old 01-22-2004

HeartofGold is on a distinguished road
Pirates Attacks!!

Any new news from anyone on this? I live at the other end of the state (read "the real Florida"), but am interested to hear the outcome of this one.

Doug
Old 01-30-2004
Banned

bwalker42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Pirates Attacks!!

I would just like to know if the Pirate of Pine Island is ok.
Please resurface BigRed.
Old 01-31-2004

JeffC_ is on a distinguished road
Pirates Attacks!!

Maybe I''m not the sharpest tool in the shed…

The opinion of the atty gen. seems to be that indefinite anchoring is part of the public right of navigation for non-liveaboard vessels. Would that mean one could leave his boat anchored and unattended in "public" waters indefinitely? If so, what keeps the vessel from being classified as "derelict"?

Or am I missing something? Is this Pirate''s actual situation?

And as a side question, what of live-aboards? Are they occupying "residences" that are regulated by the munin. code, or are they, too, outside the city''s jurisdiction?
Old 02-02-2004
Banned

bwalker42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Pirates Attacks!!

I understand all of these things. I am concerned about bigred56 as a human being. Is he ok? does anyone have the ability to check on him?
Old 02-16-2004

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
Pirates Attacks!!

Ahoy JeffC

The point is the Florida State Legislature wrote the law and it is unchallanged so the attorney General has nothing to do with it. But you do bring up a fine point of Federal Maritime law. The U.S. Coast Guard can remove any vessel deemed to be derilict and in fact has a grant program to help local goverments remove derilict vessels.However the U.S.Code has very clear and precise rules which the professionals at the U.S. Coast Guard follow to the letter. The over riding concern is to protect the owners private property and safeguard the seas for safe navigation. They are not the towing company for a bunch of inept politicians violating the law.
My vessel,anchored lawfully exercising the right of navigation, was put agound by act of vandalism on two occasions, which the Cape Coral Police refused to investigate, and the subsequent ransacking, theft, and vandalism of my vessel which was finally given the "okay we''ll take a report... you got insurance... what are you bothering us for attitude."
The fact remained that my vessel was operable ,legally owned by me and anchored, in such a manner that it posed no danger to navigation. Sitting hard aground in 30" of water (36"fixed keel)4.81 tons displacement, listing so far over at low tide the ports were under water. The basin is near the end of a mile long, 75''wide canal surrounded by buildings. My vessel sat less than a boatlength from shore.The only thing that could have hit me was a duck or those damn jumping mullets.

If a vessel sits on a mooring in the middle of the Calooshatchee River for ten years.. is it a derilit? The right to anchor lawfully is protected. Period.

As far as the definition of residence, see the more recent post, then I''ll add this... a legal habitable residence must conform to the minimum local standards for human habitation. The regulation of human waste and grey water is controlled under Federal guidelines for the purpose of clean waterways etc. Local goverments and states have the authority to regulate up to a point and no further.
The greater issue here is that local goverments will legisalate anything they want and unless you have the courage and the money to fight prolonged legal skirmishes, your just out of luck. Tow the line or get out! Well I am the Pirate of Pine Island and I''ll spend just as much money as it takes and I don''t give an inch of my rights to anyone. I represnt a minority of the population , myself, I''ve worked hard for thirty years to enjoy the right of sailing my vessel any place I please and living any where I want. Right now I have my size 9 Pirate boot squarely up the aarse of the City of Cape Coral and I intend to twist it around until the injustices of this goverment stops or I bleed them dry. The fact is the city is going to have to keep hemmoraging money defending it''s legal position until it quits violating the law, aand makes a public apology to The Pirate of Pine Island.

Old 02-16-2004

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
Pirates Attacks!!

Ahoy , The Pirate of Pine Island wishes to thank all of my friends who were concerned for me. I''m at my best when fighting and raising hell. I am indeed a real pirate. I drink too much, I take liberties with the ladies no gentleman would, I will lie, cheat or steal,... if it served me pirates code for the better. The protracted absences which are a product of my lifestyle of hit and run tactics are a part of my life. In order to live free you must accept the loneliness of command and the enforced isolation of being different. I don''t know any other way to live, and your words of concern make it all worthwhile. Thanks

Pirate of Pine Island
Old 02-16-2004

Stede is on a distinguished road
Pirates Attacks!!

What code will you live by?

When I was a kid, my oldest brother used to bet his friends that I could “beat up” their younger brothers. At first, I tried to make friends with the “challengers” that were brought to our yard. Looking back on it now, I realize how futile my efforts were. I’m sure the “challengers” had been pumped up with antagonizing propaganda before they ever got to me. So I fought, and fought, and never lost. Later, while playing sports I got kicked out of games for throwing a punch at someone that I felt shouldn’t still be trying to tackle me after I had thrown the football, or a pitch that I felt came too close to my ribs, rather than the bat. A few gang fights, and riots later; I was pretty much a seasoned fighter. I have a few scars to show for my efforts, but besides that, I came out of it all pretty much unscathed.

Later, in life, I spent a few years working as a cowboy in Wyoming. My job was branding steers, helping to break horses, and dehorning / castrating calves. At the end of the day, I washed it all down with shots of Yukon Jack, chased with beer, while shooting pool at the local watering hole.

When I began sailing, there was no challenge on the seas that I feared. The more treacherous a path through a tricky reef,the better.Making way through extreme foul weather or visiting some seedy dive when I made landfall, it didn’t matter to me. It was all good, and I reveled in it. Courage, if you can call it that, came easy to me. Women were a prize to be taken, and I took. My pride was the fact that no one could out drink me. I crewed for a skipper one time and overheard him tell the other crew that he had never seen anyone drink as much Rum as me. The crew agreed, and I felt good about that.

Many a time I thought to myself, what am I? Am I a cowboy, or possibly a modern day pirate? Maybe I’m just a common scoundrel, thug, and womanizer. Perhaps I''m a sociopath or a psychopath? When Christ re-entered my life and I gave my all to him, I was given the answer. I was a lost sinner. No better than many, and worst than a few. My past life was an easy one. Anyone can be what I was. The memories of the times spent aren’t much of a “treasure” though. Friends that committed suicide,or died in car wrecks while stoned or drunk.Watching friends marriages fail, and their children lost.Some suffered drug over doses,others were sent to prison while their families were left behind hurting, and having material possesions taken.

Now that my vision is clear, I see how little courage it took to be what I was, and how much more courage it takes to step out desiring to be known as a Christian in a sinful world. To know the love that God has for you and me,and that he sent his only son to die on the cross for our sins, is all encompassing. To strive daily, to be more Christ-like, and try to live your life by the instructions he gave us through his word, the Bible, is what real courage is about. I often fall short, but I never give up the goal. The path of destruction is an easy one, with little, to no reward. The path of righteousness, with the promise of an eternal Heavenly home is a hard one. Which one will you choose?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.