Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2011

brucemoody is on a distinguished road
What Is The Value of Headroom (for Tall Sailors)

I am just a bit under 6'2." I feel strongly about choosing an offshore capable boat under 30 feet. I don't want to start another thread to recommend one boat versus another boat. Carl's calculator is great for that, along with the many other threads already created.

My question is, for those tall folk who sail in pocket cruisers, what is the true value of headroom? Is the absence of enough headroom to stand up straight a deal breaker? I've crewed offshore in 40+ boats where there headroom is never an issue. But, now I'm in the market for my own boat, and I've crossed off my list enough legendary (local and affordable) boats to give pause. So, to the tall who go to sea, what say you?

Cheers.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
about it. Join the conversation. Advice welcome!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
Most of my life on a J24 with kneeling headroom NEVER again

Most of the Cal 29 has good headroom as does the C&C 35 and It kind of sucks cooking squatted down one example

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 11-27-2011

contrarian is on a distinguished road
I too am around 6'2" and while I owned and raced an old Pearson the headroom was always an issue ( I think it was 5' 4" ). At the time I would not have considered another daysailor much less a cruiser without headroom and I was much younger then. Tommays is right! That kneeling gets old quick.
Old 11-27-2011
..........huh?..

Izzy1414 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemoody View Post
My question is, for those tall folk who sail in pocket cruisers, what is the true value of headroom? Is the absence of enough headroom to stand up straight a deal breaker?
As one with a pocket cruiser with only duck walk headroom ..... If I'm lucky enough to get another, it will have at least close headroom for my 6 foot frame in the main part of the cabin (galley and salon). I don't think I would mind just under 6 foot as it may be handy to have the option to use my head to help steady myself in a seaway. Speaking of options, I wouldn't mind standing head room in the head .... I know, real sailors sit, but it would be nice not to have to back into the unloading dock with your trailer doors opened (trucker's lingo )

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy
Old 11-27-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Ditto everyone.

Our first boat was 22'. I'm 5'8", John is 6'. It got old quick. We have plenty of headroom in our current boat but unless it gets reinforced in key places, it isn't going offshore but we do spend weeks on it.

I don't know anyone who owns an offshore boat in which they can't stand up.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 11-27-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
OP, we're the same height, and the older I get, the more important headroom is. I sail a 27'er and there's room to stand, straight up, right under the hatch, so at least there's somewhere. However, with the head being forward, that's not an option, and for me, I wouldn't spend any "serious" time (read "offshore") in her, as much as I love her.

Headroom never seems like an issue when you first get in the boat, but crossing oceans means weeks aboard, and with each passing day, those "little issues" can become big ones. I wouldn't approach the purchase thinking "I can always stand in the cockpit", because that's not really practical. While not having done it, I do know that rest is key, as the veterans of SN with tell you, and "stretching out" is a factor of quality rest. There's plenty of under 30 footers with headroom, so find the one that works. Good luck and let us know what you decide to buy, remembering of course, pics or didn't happen.
Old 11-27-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
I had an old 27 Catalina that had exactly 6'2" headroom if you were standing in the center of the cabin and 6-4 under the hatch. Now I have a Morgan 33 Out Island that I can easily handle by myself and the headroom is 6-7 in the main cabin. I have a friend that sails with me that is 6-6 and he loves it. He said it's the first boat he has walked around inside without cracking his skull.

The Catalina was a 1978 and the Morgan is a 1974.

Good luck on your search,

Gary
Old 11-27-2011

sorcerer33 is on a distinguished road
I had a Hurley 27 with full headroom and a Moody 33 without. It would be hard for me to choose the Moody again. I'm 6'5 and I own a Caliber 40. I would have bought an Island Packet if it had the headroom I needed but it didn't. Headroom prevents curvature of the spine and the spirit - not to mention a reduction in brain damage.
Old 11-27-2011

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
I am not one of those who are vertically-gifted (I'm 5'6"), but our first boat was a Grampian 34 with 7' of headroom. I was always amazed at how cavernous it felt. I figure the designer was one of you tall ones.

They only made about 50 of these boats, but for those of you who are sick of banging your heads, I would suggest you keep an eye out for these boats. They were not fancy, but are well known as solid, comfortable cruisers.
Old 11-27-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
I have 6ft2 and on the Bavaria 36 I had standing height everywhere except in the head. Oh boy how I hated to do shave with bent legs

On of the things my next boat has to have is a head where I can shave standing properly

Regards

Paulo