Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
When AC became corporations it lost it

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIVALO View Post
This is very similar to the way I feel as well. Nothing against multi-hull's, I think they are pretty cool to watch. Just not in the America's Cup. Tactics and the hurried frenzy of an upwind beat were interesting to watch. Plus I'm a history buff so a mono-hull appeals to me more for this race.

I also am not a fan of how commercialized its become. I like it much better when the competing yacht clubs and boat names got top billing not the corporate sponsorship. I guess I just wish for the days when everyone knew the boat was named Stars & Strips and not Oracle. Corporate logo's on a boat have become incredibly overbearing, just look at the VOR.
I agree completely. When it was country vs country you did not nptice it was rich guy vs rich guy. Now it is corporate sponsorship and who can sign up the best Kiwis first. Much, much better if the boats represent countries and crews are from that country. One solution would be to choose a design limit that was cheaper so some multi-millionaire could do it rather than requiring a billionaire or huge corporation. I would not be against going back to 12 meters or even 8 meters (J-boats would be great but the costs get silly in a hurry) on a modified course or even different style courses on different days.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2011

Cherie320 is on a distinguished road
Well, I started off thinking that I'd rather see a mono race, but after seeing the cats fly, I can't wait to see the big ones duke it out for the cup. There are lots of rich folks who can pay the freight, but corporate adds are not such a bad price to pay for what looks to be a very exciting show. Pat
Old 11-29-2011
Relapsing

ArcherBowman is on a distinguished road
Oh - when I'm named Emperor, the SECOND thing that's going to happen is that the America's Cup race is going to be restricted to 10 meter monohulls with canvas sails and hemp ropes. Maybe wooden hulls, if I'm in a bad mood.

What's that? What's the FIRST thing that's going to happen?

It's going to become a felony to decorate or advertise for the Christmas holiday shopping season until AFTER Santa passes the reviewing stand during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of sailing is? Love. You take a boat in to sea that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her afloat when she oughtta founder... tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens… makes her a home." Captain Malcom Reynolds, Paraphrased
Old 11-29-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
There are plenty of Corinthian races these days - the NYYC invite is a fine example. The amateur match racing circuit is another ( see Baldwincup.com for an example )

However, there is simply no all out insane extreme race expect for the AC. let the vulgarians have the AC. It might do the sport some serious good.

I saw 2 days of the AC45s in SD last week - it was very different than what I consider as true Corinthian racing , but let the brash, loud, and very fast professionals have their fun.

We can't all wear crested blazers and mumble while drinking dark and stormys at the club bar.
Old 11-29-2011

JedNeck is on a distinguished road
Meh...
Old 11-29-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
The AC has gone from a rich man's (women's) sport, to an uber-rich corporate sport. There are no underdogs anymore, they are mathematically eliminated by their checkbook.

I have nothing against corporations, but they exist only on paper. Only people can have passion.

Do any watch US college basketball and remember a couple of seasons ago when Cornell made it to the third round of the NCAA playoffs? Cornell, a top US Ivy League school that forbids athletic scholarships was to play Kentucky, who didn't have a single player that wasn't on a full scholarship. A group of talented young men, who went to school principally to get an education, where to play a powerhouse of athletes, who went to school for free so that their University can inspire esprit de corps and raise money. Most of the Kentucky players will not graduate.

Kentucky, of course, won. While I have no objection to Kentucky's business model, the sport allows a Cornell to be in the game and many were pulling for them.

The AC has lost that.
KIVALO likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-29-2011
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
I am all for new technologies being developed and influencing our cruising boats and this all is driven by the America's Cup and other like races where hardware companies are striving to put their gear on cutting edge boats.

What I would like to see happen to the America's Cup is the addition of a "classic" race in which "J" class or "W" class boats go head to head. If this is unreasonable due to the shear size and expense of these beauties, maybe limit it to 12 meter yachts. Oh, and let's keep them all wooden

Also, while I'm at it, since the crews are not limited to country origin/race teams, I think that the venues could be rotated like they do in the Olympics where countries compete to win the venue selection.
Old 11-29-2011
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
I'm not a racer nor do I follow racing much, but I do find the AC (as well as the VOR, Vendee Globe and Velux 5) exciting. The technology is something I can't see anywhere else. However, I can see very competitive one-design mono-hull racing in many other locations if I so choose.

Old 11-29-2011
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road
I lost interest in AC a long time ago. After the Aussie and Kiwi victories, it stopped being an international competition and became big business duking it out. Big business support is OK, but the ligatious stuff turns me off. I follow the Vendee Globe now for thrills, chills and real, hairy racing in real boats. (at least most of them make it through an ocean or two)
Old 11-29-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
I would like to see it nationalized. Even though that was never a requirement.

A Scotsman named Charlie Barr was selected as captain of the Cup defender COLUMBIA, which defeated Sir Thomas Lipton's SHAMROCK in three straight races in 1899.

BTW, Lipton(as in Lipton tea) was the Larry Ellison of that time. He used his corporate resources to try and buy a cup. He never did succeed although NYYC did always manage to tweak the rules in their favor. It could be argued that the US basically controlled the cup through cheating but Lipton was always above that and accepted defeat graciously. Very much unlike Ellison.

-----------------------------------------------------

Tags
america's cup , multi hull , race

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.