Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2011

nolatom will become famous soon enough
When a fire destroyed the Southern Yacht Club here six years ago, most of the century-old trophies were melted into oblivion.

But the Lipton Trophy was replaced, a donation by the Lipton Tea Company. Like their founder, a class act.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2011
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
I have absolutely NO INTEREST in the Americas Cup. It has become a symbol reminiscent of the US Govt. I do not find it interesting or fun to watch at all since it has gone Corporate.
Old 11-30-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
I have watched some of the TV coverage and it was pretty exciting however the course modifications you mention would have worked just as well to make monohull racing more spectator friendly.
Yeah.... but mono hulls would have barely been moving in some of the the San Diego air that still allowed interesting multi hull racing. Do I wish the sailors were from the country they are sailing for. Yes! Do I wish the wings, sails and hulls didn't have to look like billboards? Yes! Do I wish my "representatives" in Washington represented me? Yes!
It's a new world folks. As a mono hull sailor, I think the multi's will be good for the sport.

Last edited by L124C; 12-01-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-01-2011

Here is an excellent article that addresses the evolution of the AC and the technical aspects of the cats. Worth a look, I certainly learned a lot. To quote the article: The next America’s Cup will, as Oracle Racing’s CEO Russell Coutts puts it, “meet the expectations of the Facebook generation, not the Flintstone generation.” (Coutts and me!)
Winging It: America’s Cup Racers Push the Sailboat to Its Limits | Magazine

Last edited by L124C; 12-01-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-01-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
....“meet the expectations of the Facebook generation, not the Flintstone generation.” .....
Good luck to them. There isn't a single member of the Facebook gen that owns a boat at my marina and that generation is entering sailing in fewer numbers than the Flintstones. Sounds doomed as a spectator sport. The rich guys can joust privately as long as they are amused by it, otherwise, it will vanish. Corp sponsorship is marketing, which won't work if there are not enough to market to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Good luck to them. There isn't a single member of the Facebook gen that owns a boat at my marina and that generation is entering sailing in fewer numbers than the Flintstones. Sounds doomed as a spectator sport. The rich guys can joust privately as long as they are amused by it, otherwise, it will vanish. Corp sponsorship is marketing, which won't work if there are not enough to market to.
If thats true, sounds like sailing is doomed, not just racing. Fortunately, I see plenty of Facebookers with boats at my marina.
I really don't understand why people don't want the AC to progress with technology. Personally, I draw the line when sailors are no longer sailing. If you look at the San Diego video I linked, you will see those guys are crewing like mad dogs. If you look at the article I linked, you'll see that the length of the cats was determined by the fact that if they were any bigger, the winches would need mechanical assist. They are therefore about 8 feet shorter than the AC Mono hulls. I crewed on a wooden yawl in the Master Mariners this year, and was in awe of all of the beautiful vintage boats in the race. On the other hand, would you expect the Indy 500 cars to stop with 70's technology (for example) and never progress. I never hear anybody say "only rich guys have Indy teams". Why should the AC be any different? Should we go back to the vintage boats from the 1800's? You would still need deep pockets to afford and maintain those boats, and I'll guarantee you, watching them wouldn't be nearly as exciting as the next AC will be! Ironically, the AC started as a pissing match for rich guys. It seems to me that technology is making it more appealing to the masses.
Tim R. likes this.

Last edited by L124C; 12-02-2011 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-02-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I guess we will have to see how many actually watch it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I guess we will have to see how many actually watch it.
Well... in the US, viewership has always been dismal. It can only improve!
I'm betting it will.
Old 12-03-2011

jimrafford is on a distinguished road
As much as I miss the days of watching the AC in Newport and get a woody looking at a restored j class, watching racing for the average consumer is about as exciting as watching paint dry. Peoples attention spans are to short. How much coverage do you see of sailing at the olympics.
As far as advertising look at any sporting event. Every available inch to display on is sold.
Anything that can be done to bring the AC closer to more spectators w/ more action will be good for the sport.
Jim
Old 12-03-2011

As mentioned above, if you could arrange for more crashes that result on total destruction, you would be on to something.

Next thing you know, you would have beer ads, then pretty women holding position signs.

Let's call it Nas-yachting.

Jeanneau 54DS

Tags
america's cup , multi hull , race