Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2011

jimrafford is on a distinguished road
Better yet, crew the boats w/ professional wrestlers and have Victoria's Secret run a fashion show on the dock. Guaranteed sold out event.
Jim
Old 12-03-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I watched the racing at Cowes. I thought it had everything going fopr it. Tacking duels, a little crashing derby thrills, and some awesome speed. I believe this is one of the best things that could raise interest in the A/C.

It has always been about money, and litigation. Why would it be any different now? Instead of being hundreds of thousand it's hundreds of millions. Check out the dollar rate for the 1800's, and today. I am sure it's still close in money spent. I reread the GRAND GESTURE recently again. It tells a lot of the same story with politics, and money involved. Not to mention the GOOD OLD BOY system in place.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2011

gaha is on a distinguished road
you know what really sucks, is that if the wind and the waves are not just right they don't race.Whats up with that.What happened to seamanship.At are local marina they race every Wed.Don't even go there about how much the boat cost and sails.They use to have to sail the boat across the big pond just to get to the starting line.
Old 12-11-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
The first time my folks saw a sailboat race they were out on my beach cat

"What are all those boats doing over there, sailing slow and close together?"

"They're racing."

"Oh, it's like a whispering contest, right?"

----

Just funning ya guys. We love sailing up to monohulls, looking at the pretty boat, and moving on.

----

I don't see what's wrong with rich folk wasting their money trying to build fast round-the-buoy racers. It's not as though we don't waste what we have on sailing. I get a kick out of both the spectacle and the litigation.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 12-12-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaha View Post
you know what really sucks, is that if the wind and the waves are not just right they don't race.Whats up with that.What happened to seamanship.At are local marina they race every Wed.Don't even go there about how much the boat cost and sails.They use to have to sail the boat across the big pond just to get to the starting line.
Not sure what you are talking about here (multi/mono). Check out the AC You Tube site AmericasCup's Channel - YouTube . 25 Knot multi hull carnage in Europe, yet they were able to produce exciting sailing in 5 knots of wind in San Diego! On the other hand, the mono hulls in the AC in New Zealand couldn't sail in more than 15 knots. The big offshore swells that developed in 15+ Knot winds could break the hulls in half.
Old 12-12-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrafford View Post
Better yet, crew the boats w/ professional wrestlers and have Victoria's Secret run a fashion show on the dock. Guaranteed sold out event.
Jim
You may be onto something. However, I'd rather see the VS girls crewing the boats (funny, yet visually stimulating)!
It may take something like this to get any interest generated in the US. The combined attendance of the recent AC event in San Diego was around 80,000 (over several days) and the cable viewership was around 3,000. The Newscaster who revealed this on the local evening news pointed out that there were currently over 175,000 viewers currently watching him!
BTW: jimrafford, your avatar gives a whole new perspective to sailing up wind!

Last edited by L124C; 12-12-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Tags
america's cup , multi hull , race