Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2011

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Lost Time...When did you start sailing?

This is a shameless plug for my blog...lol...and to put out into the general discussion a few questions about sailing and why you do it and when you started...I am 42 and I just started sailing...if I learned when I was 22 then I would have a wealth of experience and knowledge. On the flip side, I probably would have been doing some pretty fool hearty things as well. So when did you start sailing? Is it as enjoyable now as it was then? Do you ever say to yourself, "I wish I had done this years ago?"....I find myself thinking that EVERY time I'm on the boat. Oh and I talk about it a bit more in depth in my latest blog entry including pics and a video of my last Ocean sail...in AMAZING weather.

Cuajota | The chronicles of a sailboat in Newport Beach named Cuajota.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2011

JedNeck is on a distinguished road
I started sailing at 32...I wish I had started at 19 when I knew it all and wasn't scared of anything...
Old 11-29-2011

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Started sailing at thirty... which is under two years ago. I have to thank my second son for getting me off my backside and into actually learning the ropes (rather than dreaming about it). Were it not for his request to join a club for bis birthday, I might still be dreaming about boats rather than sailing them.
Old 11-29-2011

St Anna is on a distinguished road
My dad built a small sail boat when I was about 3. Later, we did a lot of miles in his gaff ketch [which he still has]. My first sailing dinghy was when I was 12 and I sailed solo on it about southern Moreton Bay, camping on an island for the night. 3 yachts later, still cant get enough. Have spent 7+ years live aboard, cruising, although not this last year, or the next. Back onboard 2013

So, pretty much all my life, still feel that in comparison, I know nothing, still learning my trade and my boat. Planning next big trip.

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-29-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I grew up around boats, both power and sail. My parents always had one. I still remember my first sail ever, which was on a dyer dinghy. I don't know my exact age then, but it was roughly 40 years ago.

I think the things you learn as a young child come much more naturally as an adult. I learned to ski as an adult, and all my friends that were on skis when they were in grade/high school look like they were born with skis on their feet.

Like most kids, I had little appreciation for those experiences back then. Whether I wanted to go on the family boat was entirely dependent on whether I had a better offer from my friends. Occasionally, my parents would realize it was easier to let me bring a friend. If you were to ask them at the time, I'm sure they would have thought I would reject being on the water forever.

Today, I nearly count each day until I can get back to the marina.

Give your kids as many experiences as you can and don't measure the value on whether it ignites a passion while their hormones are developing. They will reach into that collection one day and pull out a treasure.
Izzy1414 likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-29-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
I also started late, but that is mainly due to my Navy career. I was away at sea on submarines or small patrol boats too much, never stayed in one place long enough, and didn't make enough money to own, maintain and operate a sailboat.

Do I regret the lost time? Yes, but there wasn't, isn't much I could do about it. I made my choice of career, and I had to stick it out. Hopefully I still have about 45 good years left in me for sailing.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 11-29-2011

H and E is on a distinguished road
I grew up on Lake Michigan with power boats until I purchased a Sailfish sailboat when I was 19 and sailed it in Lake Michigan, several inland lakes and the Atlantic off the coast of NC then sold it when I left NC in 1969. I just bought a Catalina 25 and started sailing again at age 70.
Old 11-29-2011

norsearayder is on a distinguished road
started at 12 years,50 years ago,was sailing 27 to 40boats before i was 25,learned costal nav before loran came in.still have a lot to learn
Old 11-29-2011
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
I started 5 years ago by rebuiliding an old Helms 25. Cruised her a bit then moved up to an Irwin 28 and have been cruising the summers away ever since here in the Great Lakes. When I go back and read my first (and other early) blog post about sailing I realize just how little I knew and and how wonderful sailing has been for my life and family.

Old 11-29-2011

ftldiver is on a distinguished road
age 10 in pram's, then didn't sail much until college. got a hobie 16, then windsurfer, and did some crewing.

but powerboats were what interested me until I got older...