Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2011

California Republic is on a distinguished road
Sailing from Los Angeles to S America

Ive been sailing for 10 years but am really only an amateur. Just going out on day trips around San Diego bay or half day trips around the Marina in Los Angeles on rentals.

Ive had a dream my whole life of going farther ... very far. I looking to buy a used sail boat this month a70s era 27 boat with cabin I could take to S America, hug the coast on a seriously long trip for a couple of months with a friend or two in January.

How long would it realistically take to get to Columbia? Ive heard around 30 days... has anyone here done it?

Can someone please advise on sleeping in open-water at night? Ive only done day trips.. where would i learn more about this subject?

What dangers do I realistically face and what supplies are absolutely necessary? Lift raft and radar i know are important any suggestions?

Has anyone on here actually done this long of a trip on a smaller vessel??

Last edited by California Republic; 11-30-2011 at 02:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2011

steel is on a distinguished road
I was talking to California Republic in chat and I didn't really know how to find out well suited a particular boat is for blue water. I was thinking that a 25' boat would most likely not be suitable for such a trip. Then we talked about a 27' Catalina and a 33' ferro cement.

This 25' looks like day sailor to me ...
25' sail boat

Catalina 27' Useable but not the best for blue water?
Catalina 27 Sail Boat with New Motor

33' Ferro Cement: I thought this one would be fine once fixed.
1975 Ferro Cement Sailboat Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

It would probably be just himself and a friend. Resale value is important.
Old 11-30-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
The Ferro Cement thing is a disaster that already happened and it just did not make it to the landfill yet

Nothing inherently wrong with the 25 and 27 but there really not the right boat for that trip and the OP is NOT ready

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-30-2011
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Republic View Post
Ive been sailing for 10 years but am really only an amateur... where would i learn more about this subject? ...
A similar thread was started within the last week about sailing to Hawaii when the OP had never stepped on a sailboat before:

sailing from california to hawaii on 25-27 footer

Although some criticized the numerous responses for crushing someone's questionable dream, they would probably be equally applicable to your post.
Old 11-30-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Take it a step at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Republic View Post
Ive been sailing for 10 years but am really only an amateur. Just going out on day trips around San Diego bay or half day trips around the Marina in Los Angeles on rentals.

Ive had a dream my whole life of going farther ... very far. I looking to buy a used sail boat this month a70s era 27 boat with cabin I could take to S America, hug the coast on a seriously long trip for a couple of months with a friend or two in January.

How long would it realistically take to get to Columbia? Ive heard around 30 days... has anyone here done it?

Can someone please advise on sleeping in open-water at night? Ive only done day trips.. where would i learn more about this subject?

What dangers do I realistically face and what supplies are absolutely necessary? Lift raft and radar i know are important any suggestions?

I think you should take a few shorter trips before starting the longer one. Not that familiar with the California coast but you could go to the islands offshore (make it an overnight trip if far enough) or a few hundred miles down the Mexican coast with stops most nights. Not sure of any real reason to want to go to Colombia quickly - better to enjoy yourself along the coast, I am sure there are lots of interesting spots to stop.

Also you need to learn what seasons are suited for going south and north - talk to someone who knows that coast - you can't just go wherever you want, whenever you want for a variety of reasons - prevailing winds and currents and tropical storms for starters. Check out noonsite.com for info about foreign destinations and World Cruising Routes by Cornell for where you can go and when. Not from personal experience, but I think there are some potential nasty weather conditions off parts of the coast of Central America that you need to know about.

We went from Panama to Ecuador last year and our research suggested that individual cruising boats should not go to ports along the Pacific coast of Colombia - just too much risk. This is the sort of thing you have to know. Similarly, we loved Ecuador but the entrance and movement requirements are quite stringent - again stuff to know - different rules everwhere.

My opinion would be that radar is not a first level requirement but an EPIRB would be - I think you really have a lot to learn before attempting such a venture and the learning takes time.

We met a guy in the Cook Islands and American Samoa who was singlehanding on a Bristol 27. Also seen a few Vega 27s out doing extended cruising. They are not very big and by my standards not very comfy, but solid and reliable boats. They also would have a decent resale if you did not pay too much and fix them up a bit. Stay faraway from the ferrocement boat if you want to be able to sell it. Some of them are built just fine (many aren't and I don't know how you tell the difference unless one is terrible) but they are almost uninsurable and because of that very, very hard to sell - but easy to buy.
Old 11-30-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
You might want to read this thread:

Lost at sea

I saw where you said in the chat room that you only want to get to Columbia and aren't interested in the boat once you do. So are you just looking for a (seemingly) cheap form of transportation? It will be a lot safer, and less expensive, to buy a plane ticket.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 11-30-2011

Rozz is on a distinguished road
get a few multi day trips under ur belt first.

im here in san diego and despite the negative things people say here, imho they are over cautious. i have made a few trips south when i had little exeperience sailing. use ur witts and common sence and u will be ok. the baja coast is riddled with places to over night, and the few streches that dont, just sail through. u are pretty much within a few days of a suitable anchor and lots of places to resupply.

just do ur research, good charts and learn decent navigation. i solo'ed and my boat did it wonderfully well and had a blast. i will be doing it again this next year (2012) and plan on going as far as panama so far... maybe further. i have worked in most of the major cities down to cartagena colombia.

if u wanna hook up, hit me up...
Agri likes this.
1967 Bristol 29 #35
Old 11-30-2011

steel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
The Ferro Cement thing is a disaster that already happened and it just did not make it to the landfill yet
Do you know something about this particular boat?

I know ferro cement can often have hull quality issues because they are often built by non professionals and the cement could have been mixed wrong or the steel reinforcements could not be what the design specified or the builder could have changed something and not followed the design. That is if it had a professional design to begin with.

But that doesn't mean a properly built ferro cement boat is bad does it?
Old 11-30-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough

I am the poster child for bringing and old dead boat back to live a useful life

BUT you cant have looked at the listing very careful and think this boat is anything but really BAD

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 11-30-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-30-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Gee, I looked at the ferrocement listing. Are they asking for $5000 to buy it or giving $5000 to take it away. 1975 build and never finished?!? 2 cylinder diesel on a boat that heavy? Engine may or may not be seized after so long? Lister parts available? One sail?

Run away, run away - even without worrying about the condition of the steel reinforcing that has had almost 40 years to corrode inside the cement. The economy could use the boost that getthing this boat in cruising condition would involve - perhaps there is federal stimulus money you can get.
jackdale likes this.