Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2011
O'Day 25 owner

Sandler is on a distinguished road
O'Day 25 leak problem

I have a 1982 O'Day 25 shoal keel/centerboard. Water is leaking through the fasteners holding the genoa track and the adjacent cleat. The ceiling of the fingerberth blocks access to the nuts that secure the fasteners on the underside of the deck, although you can see them through the small circular hole in the ceiling under the winch. If I loosen the track fasteners to re-bed them, I'm afraid I'll never be able to re-tighten them because I can't reach the nuts. Any suggestions how this can be done? DavidSandler123@cs.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2011

Siamese is on a distinguished road
It's annoying that manufacturers often install hardware before joining the hull and deck together, making access either impossible or close to impossible. My Catalina 309 is the same way...the stanchions are installed prior to joining, and if you ever have to replace them, it's an ordeal to say the least.

I resorted to using a little putty on a wrench to hold a nut to it and trying over and over before succeeding at replacing some of the nuts. There are some stanchions on my boat, that if I had to replace them, I would have ended up using a 1-1/2" hole saw to cleanly cut holes in the hard liner to gain access. There would simply be no other way other than to train a rat to crawl in there and wrench them on.

If you have to go the hole route, then I guess you either live with the holes, or use some kind of a hole plug. I suppose one could find some nice plastic snap in plugs first, and size the access hole accordingly.
Old 12-01-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Assuming taking down the ceiling and then putting it back when the job is done is not an easy option, cutting holes and then making up covers may be the way to go. A wide piece of wide and thin teak or other appropriate wood would work.
Old 12-01-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
I had a similar issue on my C25....the traveler came loose on one side and there was absolutely NO WAY to get to the stupid bolt. Even after I cut an access hole in the fuel locker, I could see it but not get to it because of the structural member in the way. It was obviously installed before the deck was mated to the hull.

I ended up cutting a rectangular hole in the transom directly across from the bolt so I could get an open ended wrench on it. Cleaned the hole, radiused the corners, and used a plastic wall outlet cover to cover the hole. Doesn't look bad, but man I had to cut a hole in my friggan boat just to repair the traveler!

I've got some pics and details HERE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 12-01-2011

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
If the genoa track and the adjacent cleat are tight, not moving, can you use silicon rubber or some other calking material that might work better to seal around the edges? If so you can put masking tape on each side of the joint, put down the calking, and then almost immediately pull up the masking tape. Makes a nice looking seal.