Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2011

mikel1 is on a distinguished road
Trivia question: How many more posts from Caribbean After the "one last poke" this is for final jeopardy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Caribbean2012....you give lawyers a bad name...like that is really possible,

...I say heave ho

Dave
UPHILL likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-17-2011
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
One issue has seemed to be trying to communicate with Art & company. I tried to get some information from them years ago about the purchase of a sail. They wouldn't answer my emails or phone messages.

I ran across this:

"I have sent numerous emails to all contacts I had with the company with no response.
Do business with them at your own risk..."

The Drive to Make Sailing Affordable. No Longer An Oxymoron. :: TheBeachcats.com :: WingZ Sailboats announces a brand new line of performance and cruising sailboats. La Costa, CA (see comments at bottom)

Perhaps communication is still a problem. Maybe a bad mail server? Bad answering machine?
It's great he got his money back though. That's one positive mark.
Old 12-17-2011

Caribbean2012 is on a distinguished road
Seasons Greetings to One And All!

No let's take a look at something that actually impacts human beings. Why haven't any of you chose to discuss this issue?

Do a little digging folks. Look at what these poor people were being paid before they all lost their jobs. And all they did was stand up and ask for money that was owed them.

How are you guys enjoying them new sails?

Dear all,
In December 2003 we asked you to suspend the campaign for the rights of the Sri Lankan workers producing “North Sails” surf-sails. Global action had led to a 6 point Memorandum of Understanding, between Boards & More (the Austrian owner of North Sails Lanka), the General Services Employees Union (FTZ&GSEU) and the Austrian CCC.
Nearly a year later we unfortunately have to conclude that the company has failed to implement the MoU in good faith, and therefore, conform point 5 of the MoU, we are re-opening the campaign and have informed management of this earlier this week.
What can you do:
Check the updates on this case and find an action request and sample letter.
Read more >>
Changes in Ownership
In September 2004 the production of surfsails (and boards) under the brandname North Sails was transferred from Boards and More to Global Sport Technologies (GST) holding AG in Switzerland. Mr. S is the chief of production. North Sails Lanka got a new name: it is now called Global Sport Lanka (GSL).
Violations of the MoU
The dismissed workers, whose faith is at the heart of the case, first filed against their dismissal in 2002. The cases came before the labour tribunal in February 2003, but management refused to attend. The MoU included a provision that both management and the FTZ&GSEU would accept the decision of the labour court regarding the cases filed by the workers against their dismissal as final. The second provision calls for direct and substantial negotiations between the company and the FTZ&GSEU (who would be permitted to establish a branch union). Since then, the court has divided the workers into several categories, all of whose cases are still pending. This clearly works to the advantage of management, who despite having vacancies and hiring new workers, refuses to give preference to the 38 workers whose cases are pending. Additionally, management has reportedly advised other employers not to hired these workers.
Meetings between North Sails Lanka and the FTZ&GSEU have taken place at the local level in January and again in April, however the substance of these meetings has done little to move the parties involved closer to a settlement. The union believes that by refusing the rehiring these workers, management is violating the spirit of the MoU, whose key element is the agreement to negotiate directly and substantially, which should include a settlement regarding the dismissed workers.
The FTZ&GSEU agreed in the MoU to stand by the labour courts final decision, and will stick to that agreement, but this can be a process that takes years more. Management should not use this as an excuse to refuse to negotiate a settlement! Meanwhile, the workers, most of whom migrated from the countryside can find no other jobs in the zone, among others because GSL has warned other employers against them. Some of them have produced North Sails surf sails for over 10 years but instead of this working to their advantage they now are negatively affected by the age discrimination common in the zone (anyone over 25 years has trouble finding work). To make matters worse, management also filed a complaint to the Board of Investment without raising the issue with the union first. Clearly, management is creating obstacles in to resolving this dispute, not moving closer to a resolution.
CCC Austria and International have repeatedly taken up these issues with the parent company GST. A meeting between management and the union was held at the Ministry of Labour on monday October 18, but unfortunately again with no results. Discussions were postponed without a fixed date. Management refused to consider a proposal from the side of the union that, to break the deadlock, Global Sports Lanka would take back at least some of the workers (ex. one employee from each of the 4 categories of status pending in the labour court), without waiting for the court decision and without prejudice to either party’s positions on matters at the court. This would show the company's genuineness to negotiate and arrive at amicable settlement, which they claim to CCC to wish the achieve.
Alltogether this leaves us with no alternative but to re-open the campaign.
The FTZ&GSEU calls upon Global Sports Lanka to:
reinstates the unfairly dismissed workers
constructively negotiate with the union representing the workers
respects union rights, now and in the future.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 12-17-2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Personal Attack removed
Old 12-17-2011

This one needs to read very carefully.

Tartan Strong Arms Sailnet & Threatens Law Suit - SailboatOwners.com
Old 12-17-2011

Ho! Ho ! Ho!

Merry Christmas, mon!
Old 12-17-2011

This is actually getting interesting.

Take a stroll over to the Catalina 25 owners association site.

But first, jot down the more frequent posters to this thread.

These poor guys are carrying on the same discussion almost verbatim there.

What I find hilarious with all this is that most of them never even purchased a sail!

Can I have more whine with that cheese?

Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbee View Post
One issue has seemed to be trying to communicate with Art & company. I tried to get some information from them years ago about the purchase of a sail. They wouldn't answer my emails or phone messages.

I ran across this:

"I have sent numerous emails to all contacts I had with the company with no response.
Do business with them at your own risk..."

The Drive to Make Sailing Affordable. No Longer An Oxymoron. :: TheBeachcats.com :: WingZ Sailboats announces a brand new line of performance and cruising sailboats. La Costa, CA (see comments at bottom)

Perhaps communication is still a problem. Maybe a bad mail server? Bad answering machine?
It's great he got his money back though. That's one positive mark.
Old 12-17-2011

Yup.

Can't live us....can't live without us. Nature of the beast I am afraid.

However, when you run into a little bit of trouble, who is the first person you call?

It ain't Ghostbusters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Caribbean2012....you give lawyers a bad name...like that is really possible,

...I say heave ho

Dave
Old 12-17-2011

Yawn.....

I am the Gatekeeper.

Why don't you go back to the Catalina board and try this once again.

Ooops! You can't because you and a couple others got caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

Quick question? Did YOU purchase a sail or are you like the others who didn't either and suffer some sort of Don Quixote complex?

Since you seem to be an expert on this subject, can you tell me the following?

1. How many people did not receive sails that were ordered? 20, 200, 2,000?

2. How many people did not receive a refund from this company or through their credit company?

3. Kelly-Hanson infers more than one owner? Are you certain Mr. Kelly was even involved in the day to day operations of this business?

4. You keep mentioning this "other loft". Can you please enlighten this audience on who it is and what documented evidence you have to make your assertion?

The computer and interweb are wonderful tools. I have done a little research on my own and have been able to determine the actual ownership of the company I believe you are referring to.

This particular company is incorporated as a LLC in a different state with four owners. Interestingly enough, none of them have the last name you think may be hiding there.

I guess the bigger question is who the heck really cares?

Legal Beagles have all kinds of nifty databases they can play with.

Of course I wouldn't do that. Unlike you and your ilk, I have a conscience.

I think you should also spend some time reviewing what transpired with the SailNet/Tartan debacle. It seems history likes to repeat itself and people never learn.

You simply cannot get on the interweb and spout off about issue you like without ramifications. Granted; libel, slander and defamation cases have some pretty high hurdles to clear in order to prevail. But in a situation such as this, you are making it easy if someone wanted to make an issue of this.

This has nothing to do with first amendment rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
When a company goes out of business, sometimes the owner(s) establish new businesses under a different name. It is reasonable that a business's prior customers would want to know when this happens. In general, if the customers have been happy with the service of the prior company, they may want to identify the owner's new business(es) so they can do business with him in the future. Small businesses live at the will of their satisfied customers, so the owner(s) should want it to be known that they are continuing to operate under a new company name. Their personal reputation is on the line, and it is right for that reputation to follow them no matter what their business name changes to.

So, you see, communicating this information is "positive for the sport and industry." And much of the information is freely available on the Internet, so people will tend to share that information by posting links on message boards like this.

In this quote you claim to have the skills to mount a libel suit, are willing to offer your services for free, and are threatening to sue Sailnet for libel.

Based on your above quotes, I think we all now know that you are one of those who are apparently threatening Sailnet with litigation. Of course, your threat is only as real as the person posing behind the userid of Caribbean2012. So maybe it's nothing, and maybe it's serious. Which is it?

Since you appear to have made the same threat, I think we have the same right to ask you for some documented proof.

1. Who are you?
2. What is the nature of your threat?
3. What are you planning to do to act on your threat?

If you are unwilling to share this on an open message board, then I think you will understand why others don't want to share it either. In my opinion, you are no more righteous than the people here to whom you are directing your threats and insults.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 12-17-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Threats, and personal attacks removed
Old 12-17-2011

Grinch-

Interesting post.

Almost as interesting as the PM I received from Jeff.

Neither are what I would call unbiased.

You may not like my position or how I choose to present it. But that is just toooooo bad.

I am fully aware of what information you may have regarding my membership, ISP, etc.

I strongly suggest both of your refrain from the verbal abuse and physical threats.

I am not feeling any love here....none, nada, zilch, zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
A couple more posts like that and he'll be an ex member ....

Caribbean ... do take to heart what Jeff H is telling you or you are in for a right basting ....