Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2011

Caribbean2012 is on a distinguished road
And the hypocrisy continues......

I find it fascinating that companies can go belly up and screw folks out of $1.4 million in cash and goods and no one here says a word.

Then you had North screwing 200 employees out of $5.00 and firing them when they asked for it and no one says a word.

However, you have this rinky dink little sail loft and it has become the Great Satan.

One has to ask WHY?

What is the agenda here?

SailNet, an online shopping site for boating enthusiasts that expanded quickly during the dot-com boom, has declared bankruptcy and will be sold off.

The North Charleston-based company and its affiliates, all operating under the umbrella of MarineNet Inc., sought protection from creditors earlier this week in Columbia.

The once-high-flying company, which recently ceased operations, will not be reorganized. "Everything will be liquidated," said Ivan N. Nossokoff, the company's bankruptcy attorney.

SailNet listed nearly $1.4 million in debts and $211,000 in assets, mostly office equipment, inventory and unpaid invoices.

The decision to close and liquidate the business "was simply a matter of just not having enough money to continue to operate," Nossokoff said Wednesday. "It's just that plain and simple."

The bankruptcy filing shows that revenue at SailNet sank by $1.2 million last year, or 20 percent, to $4.7 million. Sales to date this year have totaled slightly more than $2 million.

The company listed its biggest creditor as Larry French, a Florida resident who sold his St. Petersburg-based sail-making business to SailNet about five years ago. He is owed about $420,000, according to a court filing.

Other major creditors include National Bank of South Carolina, which is owed $350,000, and the owners of SailNet's former and current corporate offices in Mount Pleasant and North Charleston, respectively. The landlords are owed a combined $131,809.

The company is scheduled to meet with creditors Aug. 24 at a hearing in Charleston.

SailNet sought bankruptcy protection several days after The Post and Courier reported the online retailer had stopped taking orders and that its Leeds Avenue offices had been closed for at least several weeks. Customers who said they have been overcharged or have not received their orders have been posting complaints about the company on Internet message boards.

Nossokoff said it's too early in the bankruptcy process to say how the court will handle any unfilled orders or overcharges. He also was not sure what will become of any personal information such as customers' credit card numbers that might be stored in SailNet's computer systems.

The liquidation plan spells the end of what had been a promising local technology business.

SailNet was launched in 1994 in Detroit by Sam and Cheryl Boyle, who moved the venture to the Charleston area in 1999. The next year, the couple sold a controlling stake for an undisclosed sum to IDG Ventures, a San Francisco-based venture capital firm.

Flush with cash, SailNet began to expand through acquisitions in 2000, when it bought Johnson Sales Inc., a Florida business that manufactured sails and other boat accessories. That same year it acquired Boston-based competitor Boatscape.com.

At the same time, SailNet hired a crew of programmers, sales staff and craftsmen. At its peak, the dot-com employed about 60 workers in the Lowcountry and another 140 or so in Florida.

The Boyles last week told The Post and Courier that they parted ways with the company's majority owners in December. The bankruptcy filing listed about 30 other businesses and individuals as shareholders, whose investments in the company are wiped out.

SailNet said in its bankruptcy filing that John Rublaitus, who was named president and chief executive officer in January, stepped down from those positions Monday and is now serving as a consultant to the company. Nossokoff said Rublaitus was traveling Wednesday and unavailable for comment.

John P. McDermott can be reached at 937-5572 or jmcdermott@postandcourier.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2011

jimrafford is on a distinguished road
So I guess what your saying is there is nothing for you to chase at sailnet.
Hay wait... there goes an ambulance.
Jim
Old 12-17-2011

Jim....

Actually, I believe in tort reform.

Obviously there is something here. Otherwise I wouldn't be wasting my time.

There are a few guys here that I am watching. I am waiting for the big screw-up.

I know it will come sooner or later as they simply cannot stop.

SailNet filing for Bankruptcy. Old news ain't it?

So is this thread.
Old 12-17-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
An underlying issue at the crux of this peeing contest is the question of whether buying cheap goods, made by low-wage workers is ethically defensible. Putting aside the obvious truth of caveat emptor, when you make the decision to buy something made in a third-world country, you've made an ethical decision. One populist opinion is that buying American-made products is more "right" because it supports U.S. workers. The opposing idea is that by buying sails or anything else made in low-wage countries, it has benefited the workers of that country regardless of the low wages they receive...something is better than nothing and it is a "foot in the door." I believe that much good has been done in places like Sri Lanka, etc. by giving the people productive work, moving them out of abject poverty. Moving offshore has the effect of putting some Americans out of work but does indeed benefit people elsewhere who have few options.

No one here knows what really went on with this company, nor anything about the principals. I almost ordered a storm jib from them last year. The price was right and it looked like a good product. Has anyone had a GOOD experience with them?
Old 12-17-2011

s.j.p is on a distinguished road
Why would Caribbean2012 take such an interest in this thread?

Hmmm, could it be that Caribbean2012 is personally involved with KellyHansonSails?

I could be wrong here but the words coming from Caribbean2012 sound an awful like those of Art Kelly.

Old 12-17-2011

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
So I suppose this all means; I'll never see my chart book or my money! - Dale [ And I never got a chart book!]
Where God got it done!
Old 12-17-2011

Nice post!

I guess I have a different perspective on this.

The North issue is not widely known. You really should do a little digging and see what transpired. Essentially, 200 workers were fired for simply requesting what was owed them. An amount that wouldn't buy two cups of Joe at Starbucks. In my opinion, this taking advantage of the disadvantaged, which is pretty vile in my book.

Aside from this case, the bigger picture is shipping manufacturing jobs overseas. It appears (may be wrong) that you feel the number of jobs lost by Americans is relatively small and justified. The number is massive and is the primary cause for the economic woes this country has today.

It simply stems from corporate greed. Manufacturing is moved to low wage environments to enhance margins. It is simple as that. We need to get a congress and President that gradually begins to reverse the hemorrhage. Why aren't we identifying parts of the country that are essentially rust belts like Ohio and offering incentives to companies to bring manufacturing back to this country?

Granted, they may not all be big buck, white collar jobs, but they are jobs.

As far as the other subject....

With a company that was around for ten years, I am sure there were plenty of satisfied customers. However, I doubt you are going to hear from anyone as the tone and tenor of this thread really isn't conducive to doing so.

The sad part of this entire pissing contest is that it is being orchestrated by less than five people. And of the five, it appears most of them never even purchased a sail form them.

It doesn't make sense and I am more than happy to point out this hypocrisy.

I would never purchase a North product. They are overpriced and there is little good to say about their corporate culture.

However, I would purchase from SailNet in a heartbeat. Sure, they fell on hard times and several individuals were hurt. But everyone deserves a second chance in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
An underlying issue at the crux of this peeing contest is the question of whether buying cheap goods, made by low-wage workers is ethically defensible. Putting aside the obvious truth of caveat emptor, when you make the decision to buy something made in a third-world country, you've made an ethical decision. One populist opinion is that buying American-made products is more "right" because it supports U.S. workers. The opposing idea is that by buying sails or anything else made in low-wage countries, it has benefited the workers of that country regardless of the low wages they receive...something is better than nothing and it is a "foot in the door." I believe that much good has been done in places like Sri Lanka, etc. by giving the people productive work, moving them out of abject poverty. Moving offshore has the effect of putting some Americans out of work but does indeed benefit people elsewhere who have few options.

No one here knows what really went on with this company, nor anything about the principals. I almost ordered a storm jib from them last year. The price was right and it looked like a good product. Has anyone had a GOOD experience with them?
Old 12-17-2011

And this simply proves my point.

From one newbie to another....yeah, you ARE wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.j.p View Post
Why would Caribbean2012 take such an interest in this thread?

Hmmm, could it be that Caribbean2012 is personally involved with KellyHansonSails?

I could be wrong here but the words coming from Caribbean2012 sound an awful like those of Art Kelly.

Old 12-17-2011

Grow up!

Why didn't you just file a dispute with your credit card company if you didn't receive it?

Insanity rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
So I suppose this all means; I'll never see my chart book or my money! - Dale [ And I never got a chart book!]
Old 12-17-2011