SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   continuous furler? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/81332-continuous-furler.html)

adamsj23 12-01-2011 05:10 PM

continuous furler?
 
Anyone use a continuous furler on a 26' boat?? It's an S2 8.0. Are they just as useful as a single line??

knothead 12-01-2011 05:43 PM

Adam, What kind of furler are you talking about? Is it a new one or a used one. Is it a Hood or some other brand?
Some people complain about the difficulty reefing a continuous line furler as they have a tendency to unfurl themselves if the line isn't really tight or the drum isn't tied off to something to keep it from unrolling. Other than that, there's not a lot of difference in how they operate and how a single line furler operates.
You do usually have to have the furling line spliced in place. So unless you can do the splice yourself, there is likely to be an extra cost associated there. Plus, you need to have special lead blocks because you have twice as much line running up and down the deck.

Having said all that, unless you are getting a real good deal on this unit, I would probably advise you to just go with a single line furler. There are more choices of brands, they are simpler to reef and you don't need to know how to splice.

PalmettoSailor 12-01-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knothead (Post 802492)
Adam, What kind of furler are you talking about? Is it a new one or a used one. Is it a Hood or some other brand?
Some people complain about the difficulty reefing a continuous line furler as they have a tendency to unfurl themselves if the line isn't really tight or the drum isn't tied off to something to keep it from unrolling. Other than that, there's not a lot of difference in how they operate and how a single line furler operates.
You do usually have to have the furling line spliced in place. So unless you can do the splice yourself, there is likely to be an extra cost associated there. Plus, you need to have special lead blocks because you have twice as much line running up and down the deck.

Having said all that, unless you are getting a real good deal on this unit, I would probably advise you to just go with a single line furler. There are more choices of brands, they are simpler to reef and you don't need to know how to splice.

I had a hood continuous line unit and can tell you cannot safely reef your headsail with one, I don't car how tight you tie it off. The sail can only reliably be used all the way out or all the way in. The drum relies on friction and wind power WILL overcome the available friction, just when you absoutely do NOT want you full headsail.

I ditched mine, gave the useable parts to a friend with the same furler and a skittish wife that's always motorsailing when there is any wind anyway, then cut the rest into pieces lest some unfortunate try to salvage it.

I would not have one on a boat I owned.

knothead 12-01-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midlifesailor (Post 802514)
I had a hood continuous line unit and can tell you cannot safely reef your headsail with one, I don't car how tight you tie it off. The sail can only reliably be used all the way out or all the way in. The drum relies on friction and wind power WILL overcome the available friction, just when you absoutely do NOT want you full headsail.

I ditched mine, gave the useable parts to a friend with the same furler and a skittish wife that's always motorsailing when there is any wind anyway, then cut the rest into pieces lest some unfortunate try to salvage it.

I would not have one on a boat I owned.

I agree with much of your post. I tried to make clear the difficulty in reefing in my first post. However, the furler can be tied off to prevent the sail from unrolling by lashing the tack shackle off to something. It does require going forward and is therefore not a real popular option but there are lots of people who are in situations where they may not be able to afford to replace their furler and so it might be good for people to know that the sail can be reefed.

PalmettoSailor 12-01-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knothead (Post 802521)
I agree with much of your post. I tried to make clear the difficulty in reefing in my first post. However, the furler can be tied off to prevent the sail from unrolling by lashing the tack shackle off to something. It does require going forward and is therefore not a real popular option but there are lots of people who are in situations where they may not be able to afford to replace their furler and so it might be good for people to know that the sail can be reefed.

I thought of that but the Hood 9XX unit I had wouldn't allow that as there was a fixed cover over the rotating grip drum part so there was nothing to lash to and thus no way to prevent the drum from rotating when the line slipped.

Other models may allow that which would be better than nothing, but still less suitable than a single line unit as you point out.

knothead 12-01-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midlifesailor (Post 802529)
I thought of that but the Hood 9XX unit I had wouldn't allow that as there was a fixed cover over the rotating grip drum part so there was nothing to lash to and thus no way to prevent the drum from rotating when the line slipped.

Other models may allow that which would be better than nothing, but still less suitable than a single line unit as you point out.

You lash the tack of the sail or the shackle that attaches it to the drum to the pulpit rail or to the windlass. The tack of the sail is right out in the open.

adamsj23 12-02-2011 11:06 AM

Thanks for the replies. Was looking at a good deal on a used one so it might not be worth it to install something that doesn't work well no matter how cheap it is. Are they meant to only furl(not reef) or are they meant to furl but don't really work?

knothead 12-02-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamsj23 (Post 802686)
Thanks for the replies. Was looking at a good deal on a used one so it might not be worth it to install something that doesn't work well no matter how cheap it is. Are they meant to only furl(not reef) or are they meant to furl but don't really work?

You still didn't mention which brand of furler it is, but since it's used, I would steer clear.

They are primarily meant to furl not reef. As I mentioned they can be used to reef but because the furler is dependent of the tension of the continuous line to keep it from unrolling it's not as suitable as a single line furler. As Midlife pointed out, it's pretty much impossible to get and keep enough tension on the furling line to keep it reefed when the wind catches it. You would actually have to go forward and lash off the tack of the sail.
Plus, there is usually a pretty good reason that someone decides to replace their furler. If you are serious about it, you would be wise to have it inspected by a rigger to make sure that it's serviceable.
I recently installed a used Pro-furl on a customers boat that they "got a great deal on". It turned out that the drum bearings were completely frozen and had to be replaced.
It still turned out to be a good deal but only because I only charged for about 1/4 of the time I had invested in it.
You would be better off buying a new system.

adamsj23 12-02-2011 02:22 PM

Thanks a ton for the advice!! Don't know brand but I'm thinking it doesn't matter

davidpm 12-02-2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knothead (Post 802707)
It still turned out to be a good deal but only because I only charged for about 1/4 of the time I had invested in it.


Good deal for everyone except the expert.
I hate it when that happens.
No good deed goes unpunished


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012