Head sail size - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-02-2011 Thread Starter

Head sail size

Can someone help me out!!! I'm going to buy a new roller furling and head sail for a catalina 27 tall and would like to know what size I should get? Should I just go all out and get a 150% or should I go for the 135%. This boat will be sailed out of Milwaukee and the avrage wind speed on land is about 10k's.

I would think I should go with the 150% due to the ability of the roller fuling being able to reef.

I just want some more input before I drop some $$$'s

Anythoughts?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-02-2011
ASA and PSIA Instructor

You should get a 130-135%. The extra performance of a 150% only kicks in below 6 mph or so wind speeds, and the upwind performance of the rolled genoa above the mid-teens will be lousy. Better to have a good sail for 7-24 than covering the low wind window.

Certified...in several regards...
post #3 of 6 Old 12-02-2011
1982 Skye 51

I went from a 150% to a 130% last time I replaced my genny and I'm glad i did. i find the handling of the boat much better without any sacrifice in performance/boat speed.

"The notion of life implies a certain absoluteness of self-enjoyment." -Alfred North Whitehead

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-02-2011

If you dopn't plan to race I would agree with the suggestion that you buy a 135% or so. I would suggest that you consider buying 135 or so in a higher tech fiber (i.e. kevlar) that is cut just slightly fuller than a dacron #2 would be cut. This will give you better performance at the light air end of the wind range and will hold its shape better at the upper end if the wind range. It will also be a more durable sail overall. The local race fleet has gone to Kevlar genoas as a cost savings measure. Even though kevlar is a little more expensive( Not as bad as it used to be if you go with panel construction) kevlar sails just plain keep thier shape a lot longer. The local Catalina 27 race boats tend to have a #2 genoa which would probably be the hot ticket.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #5 of 6 Old 12-03-2011
Sailboat Reboot

Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Having sailed out of Milwaukee for 7 years I would say go 150 or 155. You can always reef down, you can't reef up. Unless you are into serious racing I would not worry about high tech sails. BTW I don't think there is enough serious competition in Milwaukee to warrant spending more money. I also suggest that you get in touch with MAST - there are a number of 27's in the fleet and they are nice people. Link to their website MAST Racing - Welcome They are very nice people and do low key racing on Friday nights. Several members also do the Hook and the Chi-Mac on a regular basis.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-03-2011

I think that you need a Code 0.

Sabre 38 "Victoria"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.