Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011

fiatracer163 is on a distinguished road
Head sail size

Can someone help me out!!! I'm going to buy a new roller furling and head sail for a catalina 27 tall and would like to know what size I should get? Should I just go all out and get a 150% or should I go for the 135%. This boat will be sailed out of Milwaukee and the avrage wind speed on land is about 10k's.

I would think I should go with the 150% due to the ability of the roller fuling being able to reef.

I just want some more input before I drop some $$$'s

Anythoughts?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2011
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
You should get a 130-135%. The extra performance of a 150% only kicks in below 6 mph or so wind speeds, and the upwind performance of the rolled genoa above the mid-teens will be lousy. Better to have a good sail for 7-24 than covering the low wind window.
Old 12-02-2011
1982 Skye 51

obelisk is on a distinguished road
I went from a 150% to a 130% last time I replaced my genny and I'm glad i did. i find the handling of the boat much better without any sacrifice in performance/boat speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-02-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
If you dopn't plan to race I would agree with the suggestion that you buy a 135% or so. I would suggest that you consider buying 135 or so in a higher tech fiber (i.e. kevlar) that is cut just slightly fuller than a dacron #2 would be cut. This will give you better performance at the light air end of the wind range and will hold its shape better at the upper end if the wind range. It will also be a more durable sail overall. The local race fleet has gone to Kevlar genoas as a cost savings measure. Even though kevlar is a little more expensive( Not as bad as it used to be if you go with panel construction) kevlar sails just plain keep thier shape a lot longer. The local Catalina 27 race boats tend to have a #2 genoa which would probably be the hot ticket.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 12-03-2011
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Having sailed out of Milwaukee for 7 years I would say go 150 or 155. You can always reef down, you can't reef up. Unless you are into serious racing I would not worry about high tech sails. BTW I don't think there is enough serious competition in Milwaukee to warrant spending more money. I also suggest that you get in touch with MAST - there are a number of 27's in the fleet and they are nice people. Link to their website MAST Racing - Welcome They are very nice people and do low key racing on Friday nights. Several members also do the Hook and the Chi-Mac on a regular basis.
Old 12-03-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
I think that you need a Code 0.