leaving sails on the boat during winter...horrible idea? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011

eSailor is on a distinguished road
thanks for the insight. I originally wanted to get them cleaned/inspected over the winter time anyway so I guess I will just watch the weather and wait for a windless day.
Old 12-02-2011
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSailor View Post
Is it a horrible idea to leave them on the boat (rigged) during the entire winter?
Yes, very horrible idea.
Sabreman and chef2sail like this.
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2011

lilslippery is on a distinguished road
I am with everybody else take them off.
Old 12-02-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Im another vote for removing. I am very surprised that the marina hauled the boat with the sails up. Even if you left them on, it would be a risk to all around you if they were torn free in a winter storm.
jimrafford likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-02-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Yards are full of boats laid up with their sails and canvas still on. After a few seasons the UV stitching is degraded and the sail is dead. Given what they cost and for how important they are to a boat, they really need a rest in the winter.

Our winterization process includes removal of all decorative canvas, sails, ground tackle, running rigging, cushions, life jackets, linens and of course, food. Drawers are opened and everything gets a good airing. Lines are washed in laundry detergent on a gentle cycle and dried. Having everything off the boat makes spring work so much easier.
Old 12-04-2011

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
There's no problem with leaving your sails on the boat -- so long as they are in bags in the V-berth!

But seriously, I agree with what most other people have posted. You shorten the life of the sails and take chances with your boat if you leave them up.
Pasadena, MD
Old 12-04-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacap06 View Post
There's no problem with leaving your sails on the boat -- so long as they are in bags in the V-berth.....
That is exactly what I thought this thread was going to be about. Unfortunately, leaving them aboard has risks too. If mice decide to get cozy in there, maybe eat through a few flaked layers, and your sails are toast.

I left them aboard last year and worried all winter. Out for cleaning this year. Hope there's no mice in their building.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-04-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
I think it's better to have the sails on, mounted on the boat. But then I think the real problem is that your boat is on the hard.

We went for a great sail today. HugoSalt and I met out in Port Washington bay to take pictures of each other's boats.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.
Old 12-05-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedNeck View Post
Would you leave a $2000 outboard sitting out in the weather all winter?

Why would you leave $2000+ worth of sails sitting out? They are afterall the main motor for sail boat.

I don't even leave my sails on the boat during the summer months if I am going to be away for more than a day or two.

My boat stays in the water all year round (like JedNeck probably does) but I leave my sails on board unless I know that I'm not going to be sailing for a month. Otherwise, the sails stay on so that I can easily take off with as little fuss as possible all year round.

However, for the OP I would never want to leave a furled Genoa on a boat on stands all winter.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
Old 12-05-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
That is exactly what I thought this thread was going to be about. Unfortunately, leaving them aboard has risks too. If mice decide to get cozy in there, maybe eat through a few flaked layers, and your sails are toast.

I left them aboard last year and worried all winter. Out for cleaning this year. Hope there's no mice in their building.
If there was any concern with rodents, I'd be putting rat poison out as part of the winterization process.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on