leaving sails on the boat during winter...horrible idea? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2011

KIVALO is on a distinguished road
I have left my main and jib on. The jib is now FILTHY. But the main is fine. However all things being equal, I'd rather they be removed.
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
If there was any concern with rodents, I'd be putting rat poison out as part of the winterization process.
Not rats, field mice. They are everywhere. Bait and poison are a gamble. They could actually attract the rodent which then dies inside a bulkhead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-06-2011

eSailor is on a distinguished road
update: I removed the main sail last weekend. The jib will come off this weekend.

While I was driving around the yard looking for my boat on stands, I noticed a decent amount of boats did have their sails on after they were hauled out. Regardless, mine will be removed.

Thanks,
Old 12-06-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSailor View Post
update: I removed the main sail last weekend. The jib will come off this weekend.

While I was driving around the yard looking for my boat on stands, I noticed a decent amount of boats did have their sails on after they were hauled out. Regardless, mine will be removed.

Thanks,
Nice job eSailor.

Don't look here Winter Sailing 2011-2012.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.

Last edited by Bene505; 12-06-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-11-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: leaving sails on the boat during winter...horrible idea?

Resurrecting an old thread because I am SERIOUSLY contemplating leaving the main under the sailcover for the winter.

Here is the situation: we are 80% sure that we are selling the house, and down sizing to a condo. Because there'll be enough stuff to move, or put in storage, I deflated and packed up my inflatable dink, and put it in the salon. I also removed the jib (I can't imagine leaving that on over the winter), and put it in the main salon. I've opened up all the storage under the setees, and V berth, but left all cushions aboard - flipped on their side so that air can circulate everywhere.

I actually have a spare (old) main sailcover, and I am contemplating placing that over the new sailcover to minimize chafe. My current plan is to have the boat shrinkwrapped, as I have for the past 2 years.

Do I really need to remove the main?
Old 11-12-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
.....Do I really need to remove the main?
Yes

Boston... freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw. You may have a cover, but moisture will get under it and into in the seems, in the threads maybe the weave. I might feel differently, if you were planning to use the boat occasionally, which would dry it out. Mildew would concern me as well.

But, they're your sails. Do with them as you please. You won't come back in the spring to find shreds. I'm only suggesting you will notably shorten their useful life.

Imagine what will happen if a winter storm manages to get your cover loose, even just one end.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-12-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Bah. Properly prepared, the main can survive on the boom during the winter. I've done it because I sail in sub-freezing weather if the sun and wind are right. I also went more than 4 days without visiting my boat.

However, if you're certain that you're not sailing during the winter, and you're going to leave the boat unattended for weeks at a time, just take the dang thing off and eliminate the risk.

I do agree that a roller furling jib will be ruined though. I use hank-on jibs, so mine are always stored in bags.

This winter, I have an option- I will probably put my new mainsail away, and bend on my ratty, 40 year old main for winter sailing if the long-range forecast looks promising.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 11-12-2012

Bubble,

He is shrinkwrapping the boat in the Boston area, so it will presumably sit still for 5 or more months. I would agree, if you are going to use it periodically, you can keep it dried out.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 11-12-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I must have been tired when I posted the above...

I removed the jib, and stored that in the salon last week.

I forgot that the supports for the shrinkwrap are FG strapping that is wrapped around the boom. It can't be done, and kept tight enough with the sail and two sailcovers over it.

It is getting tight in the salon, gut the main has got to come off.

Last edited by eherlihy; 11-12-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-12-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

My main's only been bent on since 1997. So far, no need of signifigant repairs, though I have changed battens, added a few stitches to the pockets, and replaced slug lashings. The sail is well covered, including the clew (many hang out). Same on my last boat.

While you could certainly take the main home and many "feel" better about it, I'm not sure it's obvious that mildew is less likely with the sail folded at home than in cold storage on the boat under a breathable cover. There should be zero chafe and zero UV exposure, if the cover is proper. I've never expereinced it on the spar. Do close it tightly enough that birds cannot get in--that I've expereinced several times, though they did no harm. I do add sail ties over the cover when leaving for a storm or a long period.

----

I'm surprised they let you haul with the genny up.

I would NOT try to remove that sail is there is ANY detectable wind. The force to the side is far greater than you may think and stands are not meant for that. IF the sail does not fall straight down, there is too much wind. Try early in the morning.

The "wrap the halyard" trick is very effective done well; I've done that through weak huricanes at the shore. But give the extra windage, off is better. Also, a genny does not have a true cover, only a UV strip, and they require expensive replacement.
MedSailor likes this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber