Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
One of the requirements for the captain's license is the basic boating course certificate so he would still need to do that. And, according to the original post, he doesn't know the basics in order to obtain his license so I think this is jumping WAY ahead for now. Certainly something to add to the list of goals, however.
Hi Donna, I'm not aware of a basic boating course certificate requirement in order to obtain a CG license. Is this a new requirement ?

In NJ, for instance if you hold a CG license you are exempt from having to take the boating safety course; of course, without a license you would need a card to operate a motor vessel. To my knowlege, in NY, there is no general requirement for license, other than for jet ski's. and those under 18.

What we don't know is how much time " most of my life" is. Since the CG license requires " time served". Other than that, a CG course will cover all the required topics needed to pass the exam. The rest is paperwork: Twic card, physical, drug testing, etc etc.

Sailboat training is another track... which can be accomplished in conjunction with pursuing a CG license imo. The OP knew enough to get from Toronto to LI. and has sailed most of his life.

The question, I would have is how much " on water time can be documented".
If there's not enough documentable time, then yes, I'm probably putting the cart before the horse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
I thought I read it in the study guide. I may be incorrect. If you google, the on-water requirements are listed on all of the sites that offer the course.

The required on-water time has to be completed within a certain time frame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.