Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011

bmjnyc is on a distinguished road
Sailing classes, where to start?

I've been sailing most of life but only on small boats and on local waters. Last summer I bought my first sailboat a Contessa 26. While I know how to sail and managed to sail/motor my Contessa from Toronto to Orient Point, Long Island, there are many things I don't know.

I would like to learn about coastal navigation, proper use of the radio, radar, sail trim, and safety procedures, anchoring, etc.

I'm planning on taking my boat up to Maine next summer but at this point I don't feel comfortable enough with my skill set to do so.

I'd like to find a sailing school in NYC that offers a series of classes and/or certifications.

I've looked into Power Squadron classes which seem affordable compared to the local sailing schools. I plan on taking a hands on cruising course in the spring but would like to take advantage of the winter months as well.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
BMJ,

The classes offered by both the US Power and Sail Squadron and the US Coast Guard Auxiliary are comparable. You can find both the boating course that provides an introduction to all that you list as well as a dedicated coastal navigation course.

The American Sailing Association provides in-water training and there should be a school and/or instructor near you. The ASA also has instructors that will provide the training on your boat.

In some cases, an instructor with one organization is an instructor at all three. At least that is the case in my flotilla.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 12-02-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmjnyc View Post
I've been sailing most of life but only on small boats and on local waters. Last summer I bought my first sailboat a Contessa 26. While I know how to sail and managed to sail/motor my Contessa from Toronto to Orient Point, Long Island, there are many things I don't know.

I would like to learn about coastal navigation, proper use of the radio, radar, sail trim, and safety procedures, anchoring, etc.

I'm planning on taking my boat up to Maine next summer but at this point I don't feel comfortable enough with my skill set to do so.

I'd like to find a sailing school in NYC that offers a series of classes and/or certifications.

I've looked into Power Squadron classes which seem affordable compared to the local sailing schools. I plan on taking a hands on cruising course in the spring but would like to take advantage of the winter months as well.

Thanks!
The Power Squadron course are restricted to classrooms. I would suggest working and staying with one standard. Check out the American Sailing Association web site (Find a Sailing School - Learn to Sail with American Sailing Association) for schools near you.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 12-02-2011
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
The Power Squadron course are restricted to classrooms.
True, as are the auxiliary courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I would suggest working and staying with one standard.
There's no reason not to take a combination of the classroom and in-water training. I took all three when I first got into sailing. I found the classroom courses provided much more detailed information on the individual topics. The ASA 101 instructor, while teaching us how to sail, could not go into as much detail (or at least mine didn't) while on the water and didn't cover topics like radio, auxiliary engines, weather, and lines and knots at all. They might have been in the book that was sent ahead of the class (I forget now) but we didn't cover it in person.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 12-03-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

That is not a short delivery trip from Toronto to Orient. Give yourself a little credit.

The cheaper Power Squadron courses should teach you all you need to know about radio, safety procedures and requirements and some charting and navigating skills. I did this course down at Bennet Field CGA in Brooklyn many years ago.

Well, you picked the perfect time of year in NY to start taking sailing lessons. The main sailing schools of thought offer courses this time of year down in the Islands.

I bet that both SUNY maritime in the Bronx and Kings Point Academy on LI also offer similar courses.

Get a few books and supplies like:
Eldridge Tide & Pilot Manual,
a good cruising guide to the NE coast,
paper charts or chart books,
Nigel Caulder's "Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual"
and start reading through them.
I would want to take the coastal cruising course if I was in your boat.
You can use a GPS and paper charts to plot your course on a chart easy enough. The only problem with this method of navigation is that if the GPS fails or batteries die you need redundancy, as in, multiple GPS' and batteries.
It is a really good idea to at least be able to DR or dead reckon your way on the chart since once all your electronics fail that is all you have.

Thanks!

Everybody has one:

Old 12-03-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I recommend

Sailing School Locations - Sailing Schools | Offshore Sailing School

Edit: no affiliation. My wife learned to sail with this school in a week.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 12-03-2011 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-03-2011

bmjnyc is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for you input. This site is such a great resource. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
BMJ,

If you've been sailing most of your life, you might want to formalize your experience and go ahead and obtain your CG license? You can take captains course with Sea School. It's not inexpensive though. They have an office on LI. Offshore sailing school has a great reputation. There's Tracey Sailing School in the NJ Highlands/Keyport. True North Sailing School in Jersey City, has a coastal cruising course, which would include some navigation. I'm sure there must be someone in the area that holds an ASA 105 navigation course in the off season.
Old 12-03-2011
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
BMJ,

If you've been sailing most of your life, you might want to formalize your experience and go ahead and obtain your CG license?
One of the requirements for the captain's license is the basic boating course certificate so he would still need to do that. And, according to the original post, he doesn't know the basics in order to obtain his license so I think this is jumping WAY ahead for now. Certainly something to add to the list of goals, however.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 12-03-2011

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Another angle to consider.
Since you have been boating most of your life, I would think you would be familiar with most of the basics of boat handling. If you are looking to learn the finer points of sailing; sail trim, wind angle, sail choice, tacking, jibing, reaching, beating, etc, etc.. I would find experienced crew to either sail with you or you sail with them. Get yourself on a race boat as a crew member and you will learn a lot, and work a lot.
If your looking to learn coastal navigation, than a classroom should do it. It's not rocket science.
Hands on is my preferred method. Get on a boat as a crew member around the marks and you will learn very quickly.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.