SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Cat 27 enough for coastal cruising? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/81371-cat-27-enough-coastal-cruising.html)

jkiser 12-02-2011 11:55 PM

Cat 27 enough for coastal cruising?

Would a Catalina 27 be adequate for coastal cruising if so what gear would be recomended

sailjunkie 12-03-2011 01:19 AM

Catalina 27's are great boats, but to make sure that you get the info you need, answer a few questions first:
  • If you say "coastal cruising" can we rule out racing?
  • Will you be mooring/anchoring overnight?
  • How many people will typically be sailing her?
  • What is your budget for purchase, then for improvements?
As for gear, the possibilities are endless. What can you tell us about your previous experience?

jkiser 12-03-2011 01:38 AM

Yes I'm not very interested in racing. I want to be able to sail the coast between Florida and Virginia possibly mooring/anchoring overnight but marinas when possible my experience is limited I have signed up for lessons and am just planning ahead my budget isn't large 10,000 initial price and upgrades/repairs as I can

jameswilson29 12-03-2011 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkiser (Post 802849)
Would a Catalina 27 be adequate for coastal cruising...

Yes, a C27 should be fine if in good shape and adequately prepared with an experienced skipper. A C27 is a justifiably popular, great-value, cruiser/racer. You might want to read Jack Hornor's review of the vessel for more details: BoatUS.com: Boat Reviews by Jack Hornor, N.A. - Catalina 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkiser (Post 802849)
...if so what gear would be recomended

Take the free Boat U.S. boating safety course for your state to learn about basic safety requirements. Schedule a free vessel inspection by the Coast Guard Auxiliary to ensure you have all the required safety devices and equipment. Plan your trip to take advantage of clear weather windows. Leave a float plan with a friend or relative. Wear a harness on a jacklines at all times outside the cabin. Learn how to use a VHF radio. Learn how to navigate with chartbooks and a compass. Carry twice as much food and water as you think you will need. Don't go too far offshore or get caught offshore for an extended period of time. Don't rely on anything mechanical or electrical working - plan your trip assuming that your electrical system, electronic devices, automatic bilge pump, and your engine and any other systems will not work at some point: don't go unless you can make it by sailing with the predicted weather from Safe Harbor A to Safe Harbor B with map and compass. Sail conservatively and cautiously for the conditions.

sailjunkie 12-04-2011 01:13 AM

While it sounds like a C27 might be a good fit for you, OP, you need to decide how many people will typically be sailing with you.

C27's are great boats, but the more people on board, the tighter quarters get, especially on the dinette models. 2 adults will have a wonderful time. 3 to 5 adults will be saying "excuse me" a lot, and this won't be good for more than a long weekend. If you have teenagers, they will hate you. :D

Parley 12-04-2011 09:47 AM

I sailed mine out of SF Bay. A good boat for coastal cruising if you understand and plan for her limitations. The biggest recommendation I would make is increasing the cockpit drainage. I increased the existing (aft) drains to 1.5" and added 2 more (fwd @ companionway).

CapnBilll 12-13-2011 02:02 PM

John Vigor list it in his book "twenty small sailboats to take you anywhere", as a potential offshore boat with a few improvements. (although it got a 19 out of twenty for seaworthy). Still it is a good stoat boat, with upgraded rigging, and carefull loading, He stated it should be survivable at sea. Cockpit drains and handholds, positive latches on everything, etc...

It is on my short list of next boat to buy, I plan on a Carribean trip within a year.

jkiser 12-13-2011 02:54 PM

Thanks for all the replys I wound up buying a cal 30

TakeFive 12-13-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkiser (Post 806171)
Thanks for all the replys I wound up buying a cal 30

Wow, that was fast! One week from first post to purchase. Congrats!

CapnBones 12-13-2011 04:32 PM

My buddy and I have been sailing his Cal 30 for the past 4 years or so, real fun boat. Enjoy it. What year?