Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
It was eastern half - if not coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
That must have been an East coast thing - I was born here and never heard of it.
It happened in the 1780s and 1790s, and the UELs went to Upper Canada, Ontario, a few parts of Lower Canada (Montreal area), and New Brunswick and Nova Scotia - and islands like Jamaica and Barbados. Anything north of five miles away from the St Lawrence River and Lake Ontario was the wilderness. Some say it still is of course.
Old 12-05-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
We rented a boat on the Canal du Midi in southern France - an amazing experience. The boat looked like a regular flying bridge power cruiser that had been left in the sun too long and melted so it was lower than expected. Also you had to really duck down under the bridges. The boats are governed to go no more than 6 mph so the pace is very leisurely.

The canal opened in 1680 so it is not a brute force/straightline thing. It follows the contours of the land, to the right around one hill and the left around the next. In some sections there are 300 year old plane trees making an arch over the entire canal. They planted something like 1.5 million of them to stabliize the banks. You can either stop at a town dock (free) or pull over anywhere and drive a couple of metal stakes into the crowd to tie to. Much of the area we passed through was vineyards (Occitan) and in some places they leave a wine barrel next to the canal with bottles on it. You stop, take what you want and leave the money. A wonderfully civilized place. Hope to go back.
Your comments about cruising the French canals reminded me of an old friend of my dad's who had what I still consider the best death of anyone I ever heard of. This was about 20 years ago.

George & his wife planned a trip with another couple my dad & I knew well. George was a very fussy OCD type - he worked as an instrumentation tech if that gives you any idea. The trip was to pick up a boat in Holland and take it across France on the canal network from the Channel to the Med. George took on the planning of the whole thing for the group and was in his glory - huge amounts of fussy detail to be worked out and organized. He spent all his spare time for 6 months working out the perfect trip of a lifetime. He & Betty didn't have a lot of money and hadn't travelled a lot.You can imagine how the anticipation built for him during this time.

Finally, they were off to Holland, George barely needed the plane he was so pumped with anticipation. They got to Holland and were walking down the dock to the chartered boat when he dropped dead in his tracks.

Sounds terrible (and it was) especially for the 3 others who obviously had to deal with the tragedy, cancel the trip etc. BUT, think about it from his perspective - he had months of all the OCD fun of dreaming about and planning the trip just the way he wanted it, he was at the absolute peak of anticipation when the lights just went out. No unmet expectations or any of the little problems and letdowns that inevitably happen on a trip like that - the old saying "anticipation is always better than realization" is very true. He got ALL good and none of the bad and was at the absolute top of the mountain when everything stopped for him.

I hope I go in some sort of similar way and don't end up too old to really enjoy myself and just sort of dribbling out of life like so many of us do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Cruising the canals in France in my plans, winter over and ski for a season in courcheval. Maybe start buying Euros soon?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 12-06-2011
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
1) South Pacific

2) San Francisco, CA; North Channel, Ontario, Canada; Genada

3) France

4) ???

5) 8

6) 2

7) Tuamotus (French Polynesia)

Old 12-06-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Maybe not

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Cruising the canals in France in my plans, winter over and ski for a season in courcheval. Maybe start buying Euros soon?
Euros may be replaced by marks, francs, etc for all we know. We did the French canal in early September and it was not too busy. The rental companies have a lot of boats available - it would be horrid when they are all out in mid-summer when the French have their month off.
Old 12-06-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
killarney_sailor
In Canada it used to be the United Empire Loyalists - what the Americans called Tories. People who left the US during the Revolution or right after because they wanted to live in a British land. Fifty years ago it was a big deal and such people put the letters UEL after their names like a degree. Now, no one cares, nor should they.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
That must have been an East coast thing - I was born here and never heard of it.
I find the Royalists a puzzling bunch. They cling to an archaic idea that somehow or other it is important to have a foreigner as Head of State. I for one would feel far less antagonism towards the re-named Saxe-Coburg-Gothas if they were our former royal family rather than our current. Arrr, it must be de Oirish in me. Hopefully we will see the back of them when Lizzie carks it and her demonstrably insane son takes over but I fear that the PR push for the newly married one may win the day.

So inane are the royalists that there has even been a call down here to bring in the frucking Dutch should the Windsors bite the dust cos some bint from Tasmania managed to score a gig with the House of Orange-Nassau.

FFS, it is all so silly.

Visions of Pythons swirl in my head.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 12-06-2011

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

"Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses not from some farcical aquatic ceremony."

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 12-06-2011
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Chuck would fit right into the "Upper Class Twit of the Year" sweeps wouldn't he? The first time I saw that skit he jumped right into my mind and he was still YOUNG then. Now he'd be the grand champion.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-06-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

"Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses not from some farcical aquatic ceremony."
Absobloodylutely ...

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 12-08-2011
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
TD, I read a gem about Prince Chuck today and immediately thought of you & this thread. Apparently his old Aston Volante has been converted to run on bio-ethanol (is there any other KIND of ethanol?). This is his personal statement of leadership in the greening of the planet.

The best part of the story was that this "bio-ethanol" is created from surplus British wine .

Honest to God - the future King of England runs his Aston Martin on WINE!

Could the Pythons do any better?