Originally Posted by killarney_sailor
Here we are going into winter in this part of the world, so we have time for daydreams. Huffington Post did a 'knockout tournament' on the place people would most like to visit before they die. The winner incidently was Macchu Picchu being chosen over the Pyramids. Thought I would throw out some questions here of a similar type but a little broader.
- Start with HP's question, what place (not country) on earth would you most like to visit before you die - that you have not visited previously?
- What are the three places (in order) that you have ever visited that you liked most (could be for whatever reason you choose - history, scenery, activity, or ?)
- What country (ies) have you visited that you liked a lot more than you expected?
- What country (ies) have you visited that you did not like as much as you thought you would?
- How many countries have you visited in your life? (Count colonies and territories as separate countries here - so Martinique and France would count as two even though Martinique is part of France)
- How many countries have you visited by sailboat?
- What country that you have not visited would you really like to go to?
If anyone thinks of another good question, we can add it to the list. I will post my answers once I work them out.
1. Place I want to visit - Ellesmere Island, Canada - untouched Arctic, doubt I will make it though
2. Best places visited - 1. Grand Canyon (went with highest expectations and still was blown away - best to do more than look from Canyon rim; we did a sightseeing flight and a rafting trip - from the river you can rarely see the edge of the Canyon because you are in an inner canyon; doing the rafting trip also meant walking down to the river from GC Village which is quite spectacular
2. Machhu Picchu - we were there in the rainy season and clouds and mist were coming and going which made it even more wonderful
3. Pitcairn Island - and I did not even get ashore although my wife did for the day; conditions were just not suitable for anchoring with major swells from a couple of directions; the island is incredibly beautiful and the isolation special.
3. Better than expected - Ecuador and Jordan - very much recommend both for a visit; so much to see in Jordan and Ecuador just had a nice vibe about it
4. Not enjoyed as expected - Egypt - too crowded and annoying being hassled all the time, although when we were there we were told you could walk anywhere in Cairo day or night and be safe - there was an incredible police presence at that time
5. Countries visited - 38
6. Countries visited by boat - 29 (add up in the Eastern Caribbean)
7. Country want to visit - India; I understand that much of it will not be very enjoyable (crowds, smell, hassle) but that it will all be fascinating. Also I would like to spend more time in South America, quite enjoyed it and would like to go to Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay.
I agree, Paulo, it would be nice to see more postings and get some good ideas of places to go. At some point we would like to go to eastern Europe where you have been.