Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Where would you like to travel to?

Here we are going into winter in this part of the world, so we have time for daydreams. Huffington Post did a 'knockout tournament' on the place people would most like to visit before they die. The winner incidently was Macchu Picchu being chosen over the Pyramids. Thought I would throw out some questions here of a similar type but a little broader.
  1. Start with HP's question, what place (not country) on earth would you most like to visit before you die - that you have not visited previously?
  2. What are the three places (in order) that you have ever visited that you liked most (could be for whatever reason you choose - history, scenery, activity, or ?)
  3. What country (ies) have you visited that you liked a lot more than you expected?
  4. What country (ies) have you visited that you did not like as much as you thought you would?
  5. How many countries have you visited in your life? (Count colonies and territories as separate countries here - so Martinique and France would count as two even though Martinique is part of France)
  6. How many countries have you visited by sailboat?
  7. What country that you have not visited would you really like to go to?

If anyone thinks of another good question, we can add it to the list. I will post my answers once I work them out.
Old 12-03-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Well, it seems that everybody is afraid to show a little bit more about each ones tastes It seems I will be the first

1 - Goa, old city and the scenery.

2 - Seville, Dusseldorf, Croatian Islands.

3 - Slovenia

4 - Austria

5 - 17

6 - 5

7 - Açores, all European Countries I do not know yet and then Brasil. In what regards boating, Açores, Caribean, Bahamas and Pacific Islands.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2011

Well killarney, it seems an interesting thread to me but since it seems you are not going to have more replies, at least tell me about you.

I think it is fair

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-04-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Done my thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Here we are going into winter in this part of the world, so we have time for daydreams. Huffington Post did a 'knockout tournament' on the place people would most like to visit before they die. The winner incidently was Macchu Picchu being chosen over the Pyramids. Thought I would throw out some questions here of a similar type but a little broader.
  1. Start with HP's question, what place (not country) on earth would you most like to visit before you die - that you have not visited previously?
  2. What are the three places (in order) that you have ever visited that you liked most (could be for whatever reason you choose - history, scenery, activity, or ?)
  3. What country (ies) have you visited that you liked a lot more than you expected?
  4. What country (ies) have you visited that you did not like as much as you thought you would?
  5. How many countries have you visited in your life? (Count colonies and territories as separate countries here - so Martinique and France would count as two even though Martinique is part of France)
  6. How many countries have you visited by sailboat?
  7. What country that you have not visited would you really like to go to?

If anyone thinks of another good question, we can add it to the list. I will post my answers once I work them out.
1. Place I want to visit - Ellesmere Island, Canada - untouched Arctic, doubt I will make it though

2. Best places visited - 1. Grand Canyon (went with highest expectations and still was blown away - best to do more than look from Canyon rim; we did a sightseeing flight and a rafting trip - from the river you can rarely see the edge of the Canyon because you are in an inner canyon; doing the rafting trip also meant walking down to the river from GC Village which is quite spectacular
2. Machhu Picchu - we were there in the rainy season and clouds and mist were coming and going which made it even more wonderful
3. Pitcairn Island - and I did not even get ashore although my wife did for the day; conditions were just not suitable for anchoring with major swells from a couple of directions; the island is incredibly beautiful and the isolation special.

3. Better than expected - Ecuador and Jordan - very much recommend both for a visit; so much to see in Jordan and Ecuador just had a nice vibe about it

4. Not enjoyed as expected - Egypt - too crowded and annoying being hassled all the time, although when we were there we were told you could walk anywhere in Cairo day or night and be safe - there was an incredible police presence at that time

5. Countries visited - 38

6. Countries visited by boat - 29 (add up in the Eastern Caribbean)

7. Country want to visit - India; I understand that much of it will not be very enjoyable (crowds, smell, hassle) but that it will all be fascinating. Also I would like to spend more time in South America, quite enjoyed it and would like to go to Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay.

I agree, Paulo, it would be nice to see more postings and get some good ideas of places to go. At some point we would like to go to eastern Europe where you have been.
Old 12-04-2011

It seems that you prefer virgin nature. I like that and beside the boat I used as a discovery vehicle a dirt motorcycle. Even in Europe it is not difficult to find wild life and going a full day riding on nature without seeing another human being.

The most amazing voyage I ever done was crossing the full range of Pyrenees, starting from the Med and finishing on the Atlatic, always on altitude, most of the time on old feet tracks. I still had those images in my head

But being a lover of nature I am even a bigger lover of cultural sites and Old Goa is about that, like Machhu Picchu with the difference that Machhu Picchu is culturally dead while in Goa the mixture of cultures that make those inhabitants different from the other Indians is still alive and it is fascinating.

People associates Goa with beaches and Hippies, but that is not what I am talking about. Well, anyway, probably Hippies were drawn to that place precisely by its special spiritual and cultural characteristics.

Take a look:

Portugal is the country that has more world heritage sites outside its borders and it is that mixing of cultures that makes them fascinating. That was a two ways influence and those exchanges were was also responsible by influences in Portuguese culture that makes it different from other European cultures.

Take a look at some other world heritage sites that the Portuguese created all around the world:

And more about Old Goa, with some Historic information:

And finally an incredible good collection of photos from Goa, by a top photographer:

Last edited by PCP; 12-04-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-04-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Going to be hard to narrow this down .....

1. Probably either Antarctica or the Arctic ... is that too broad ? The other choice would be MacQuarie Harbour in Western Tasmania provided mode of transport was our own boat. To have achieved that would mean I had finally broken free and was out there doing it. From a purely Sailing perspective the PNW, Scotland and Scandinavia would be up there.

2. Gove, Northern Territory Australia (late 1970s) , cos it was at the end of my first offshore passage. Barcelona Spain (1987) cos it was my first stop on the Iberian Peninsular. Without Barna I would not have then gone on to cover most of Spain and thus far, too little of Portugal. Singapore (1975), cos it was my first taste of Asia and opened my mind to the possibilities.

3. USA .... I really did think I would loath the place but in fact I really enjoyed what little I have seen of it (Hawaii and California basically.) Second choice would be England ... having been to London a few times and except for its bookshops, museums and theatres, disliking it intensely I was amazed to find how much I enjoyed the more rural areas.

4. Egypt without doubt. Because of the history I thought I would love the place but after two days in Cairo I couldn't wait to leave. Maybe it was a "London" experience and I'd enjoy myself once I escaped Cairo so at some time a revisit via Alexandria might be in order.

5. rough guess .. somewhere around twenty - thirty I'd have thought.

6. You mean sailed into from outside of I presume ? Sadly none.

7. I've long wanted to sail into Juneau Alaska so the country would have to be Canada while cruising the PNW on my way to Juneau. Alternative, and a very strong alternative indeed would be Norway.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 12-04-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-04-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
3. USA .... I really did think I would loath the place but in fact I really enjoyed what little I have seen of it (Hawaii and California basically.) Second choice would be England ... having been to London a few times and except for its bookshops, museums and theatres, disliking it intensely I was amazed to find how much I enjoyed the more rural areas.
Viewed exclusively from news reports, movies etc. you get a VERY different picture of what the States is like. If you've seen "The Worlds Fastest Indian" you'll get a pretty good idea of what it's really like (even though that was set years ago). California is still a paradise if you avoid the bad (overpopulated) spots. S.F. is my favourite city anywhere.

London is great if you've got LOTS of money, otherwise it's a struggle. The rest of England is like nowhere else on Earth - a must see for anyone who likes travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
7. I've long wanted to sail into Juneau Alaska so the country would have to be Canada while cruising the PNW on my way to Juneau. Alternative, and a very strong alternative indeed would be Norway.
Here and Scandinavia by sailboat would be virtually the same experience except the climate here is more benign. If you come, let me know. And by the way, here it is known as the SOUTH west.

As to my own travelling, 7 countries, none by boat. I am so sick of flying that I really don't know how much more we will do. Still love long road trips though, so Canada, USA and Mexico are still on. I'd like to drive to the Maritimes in September to see the fall colours - we just have green here, year round. Then down the east coast to Florida and wend our way back staying south of the snow as much as possible. White sands, Grand Canyon, Painted Desert, Monument Valley just to name a few. I want to go back to Bonneville as well, so I can run my Corvette wide open for miles & miles.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-04-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
We just got back to the boat after a 56 day walk through the Himalaya. A definite must for those that like the outdoors, don't mind carrying a pack and are in for a real adventure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 12-04-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I can well understand the attraction of the Himalayas.

Its been quite some time since I was last in London, I believe the food is somewhat improved though even back then it was insanely expensive for what you get. Outside of London, as you say Sloop, the countryside is just lovely. If I ever get to Europe by boat then beyond Norway I'll definitively revisit the UK. I'm not sure if this is practical but I like the idea of Scandinavia to Scotland, through the Caledonian across to Ireland back to the UK and thence Biscay coast from the Basque Country to Galicia before heading down the Atlantic Iberian coast.

Getting to the PNW or SouthWest from your point of view is of course problematic in itslef. Two exceptionally fine folk from SailNet had even offered me a lend of their boats but like you air travel has lost its attraction for me. My Pacific dream cruise is Australia to Japan then across the northern Pacific and drop down into Alaska, Canada and the PNW. Thats a dream however. I know it is doable but I'd like to include a detour through Malaya and Borneo (blame Aeventr for that) and it becomes a matter of dodging cyclone/typhoon seasons to some extent.

What I do know is that if I ever do make it to the PNW, what with all the PNWers here plus the nutbags (loveable nutbags I hasten to add) from SA it should be quite a party.

I should also add that Austin Texas is high on my lists but not so much Nashville.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-05-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Interesting comments all, and I hope we got more people participating.

I had an intriguing experience on my first visit to Europe a number of years ago. I expected to really fall in love with London. My parents were born in UK and there are so many cultural links to England and London - from street names in Toronto to all the movies we see set there. I very much liked the city (so much to see and do - cheap theatre tickets - the only cheap thing there btw) but I liked it in the same way that I like NYC ie I did not fall in love with the place.

Went to Paris and absolutely fell in love. I know it is not all that is Paris. Other than to and from the airport and coming into town on the trains I have only seen the downtown bits and I know that the suburds are pretty dreadful - but what a downtown. I even know where I want to live (can't afford it mind you, but we can dream). It just seemed such a civilized place and on a human scale for such a large city. Still trying to figure out this happened. Know cultural connection other than a few movies (the new Woody Allen shows he loves the city too) and my French is brutal (63% in grade 12 French in 1966 with no real learning since then). I even like Parisians - they were not the cold, standoffish people I had been led to believe them to be.