SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Wind Speed Anemometer placement (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/81401-wind-speed-anemometer-placement.html)

Rockter 12-04-2011 11:43 AM

Wind Speed Anemometer placement

I own a Union Polaris 36 and I wanted to fit a wind speed and direction indicator. I really cannot face the prospect of a masthead mounting. Instead I have a tall radar pole at the stern that might be high enough to give me some meaningful readings.
I attach a wee picture.
I plan on using a wee side arm to the pole, then raising the spinning impeller above the level of the radar dome.
Later, I can mount it to the mast-head, the next time I drop the mast, and that isn't planned for some time.

I trust that the stern arrangement willl mean that I will get some corrupted readings due to windage over the sails, but what do you think?

Thanks...

Rockter

For some reason, the picture will not attach. Sorry.

celenoglu 12-04-2011 12:02 PM

The speed will not be correct, because it should be the speed 10 meters above sea level. The direction will be the direction of the sails not the wind. The only proper position is top of the mast.

Faster 12-04-2011 12:26 PM

Unfortunately that's true... you'll be in the wind spoil of the rig, and too close to the surface for the indication to be of much use..

Rather than spend any money on that particular installation, how about hiring someone to go up and do it properly in the first place? Or a friend/marina hand that can do it reasonable?

Rockter 12-04-2011 12:26 PM

celenoglu :

Yea, I know that you are right, deep down.
Are they ever seen anywhere but at the masthead?
It is so difficult to maintain them up there, and my bosun's chair does not lift me high enough to drill the mast top for such a fitment.
I will have to wait for the mast to be dropped next time.
Thanks.

Rockter.

Rockter 12-04-2011 12:28 PM

Faster :

Thanks.
I could only use one of those masthead wireless systems, could I?
They are called Tictack, or something like that.
I cannot thread a conductor down the mast with the mast stepped.

Rockter.

Minnewaska 12-04-2011 12:30 PM

Agreed, totally corrupted readings when under way, so what's the point of having it. I would just as well tie some yard to the shrouds, if you need a short term solution.

You don't have to drop the mast. Get a bosuns chair. Edit: I see you posted about your chair while I was typing. There are solutions to getting higher in your chair too. Maybe install step at the top, use your chair to get there. Would be handy.

Rockter 12-04-2011 12:33 PM

The Bosun's chair does not allow me to get my hands high enough to get the drill perpendicular to the mast top surface.
I don't have mast steps.
I guess I will have to wait, or someone is going to kill themselves dropping 45 ft, or so.

Rockter.

Minnewaska 12-04-2011 12:40 PM

There are solutions to getting higher in the chair. Install one step on mast. Hang a step from the spin block. Use those webbing step, cant think of their name. All versions allow you to get there in the chair and use the step at top. Good luck.

Faster 12-04-2011 12:43 PM

Would one of these help?

ATN Sailing Gear- Mastclimber | Sailing Equipment

The wireless systems are very interesting concepts.. it would be nice to know how often the batteries would need replacing... although I think they are also solar powered.

Pricey, though.

Rockter 12-04-2011 12:48 PM

Faster :

Thanks.

That foot-strap system looks ideal. Rather pricey though, for such infrequent use. I will look at it. Thanks.

I have my Windex up there, so I have some directional feedback.

It would be nice to have the windspeed also, methinks.

Rockter.