Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Remember that the time that all commercial fishing was done under sail greatly exceeds the time it has been done under power.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2011
captain mike

capt13 is on a distinguished road
LMAO you cant ask these sailors a simple question such as can you make a living catching fish off a sailboat? First of all I have lived on a sailboat for over 10 years here in South Florida, and I can go out and get Grouper, and spear Snook around the docks, their are alot of resturants in South Florida who will pay $5.00 a pound Filet for grouper. So you could make money doing it, get a few big coolers with ice and go out and get a few groupers, or even Red Snappers, a day, sell them to resturants and people on the beach, but it would be way easier to do off a fishing boat than it would be to do on a sailboat. I have worked on Long liners so I know a few tricks about finding grouper, they are a deep water fish, and you have to go out into the gulf to get them, so you would need electric Bandits, or AKA Down Riggers, that would make it alot easier. but if that's what you decide to do good luck to you man.
Agri likes this.
Old 12-07-2011
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLocked66c View Post
Oh Lord! No more please... LOL
Land,

Come on, you can take it, I know you can. Anybody living east of Reno, Nevada has to be tough. Besides, reading this is better than working.

Putting it off, Dabnis
Old 12-07-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Ok, but this is the only time i'll feed a troll!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 12-07-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLocked66c View Post
Ok, but this is the only time i'll feed a troll!

You are being too hard on him, he deserves better chow. "Business", come on, think lof some new ones, the thread is drifting, still too cold to work

Dabnis
Old 12-07-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
I don't get the opportunity to read the many posts on this forum because of a hectic work schedule. Fortunately, I have a few days off and was able to catch up on some of the posts. This particular thread posed some interesting questions and answers to the OP. Obviously, just obtaining a commercial fishing license, at least in most parts of the United States, is nearly impossible. The world's fisheries have essentially collapsed, therefore in an effort to rebuild the depleted stocks strict catch limits and brief seasons have been utilized to reduce the catch. Additionally, there are many areas where NEW, commercial fishing licenses are no longer being issued, and in some instances states are buying back older licenses and gear permits to reduce fishing mortality and remain in compliance with new state, federal and international regulations.

Now, as for living aboard a 25-foot sailboat, AND using it to catch albacore--not a prayer. The vast majority of 25-footers are unsuitable as live-aboards, and as a fishing boat for tuna, particularly albacore, forget it. Anyone that has battled a 150-pound tuna, bluefin, yellowfin, bigeye, etc... will unequivocally tell you that it's a difficult task from the uncluttered cockpit of a 45-foot offshore, charter-fishing boat. A 50-pounder couldn't be battled from the cockpit of a 25-foot sailboat, even if you used a Penn International standup outfit and a fighting harness.

All the best,

Gary
Old 12-08-2011

Agri is on a distinguished road
I've been having similar thoughts to this although I thinking making $100-$200 may be stretching it. I don't know what the rules are like in the USA but up here most fishermen on commercial boats just eke by. I spent some time on a commercial boat this summer, sport fishing for salmon and halibut, on the days/mornings I took off of work. The skipper was retired but kept his commercial license just for fun, he said now for salmon openings are quite often only 24 hours and you can only set the nets for 45 minutes. For the whole season he made about $700 and spent $3000 on fuel.

I think you have to find a niche market. Green/Organic food is really popular, so if you could market it to organic grocery stores/restaurant as local sea food organically caught (no fossil fuels/nets/) I think you could make enough to get by.

I'd like to do it, but so far no one at DFO has even been able to point me in the right direction on how to go about getting licensed for this. Although there is no shortage of people who want to buy the crab I catch in my own personal pots.
Old 12-08-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
In his first thread about this I gave him some links to sources of information that could easily give him answers to all of his questions if he bothered to research it. If he's too lazy to make a few calls about licensing, etc. I guarantee you he's not going to make it commercial fishing.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 12-08-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Remember that the time that all commercial fishing was done under sail greatly exceeds the time it has been done under power.
You surprise me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 12-08-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agri View Post
I've been having similar thoughts to this although I thinking making $100-$200 may be stretching it. I don't know what the rules are like in the USA but up here most fishermen on commercial boats just eke by. I spent some time on a commercial boat this summer, sport fishing for salmon and halibut, on the days/mornings I took off of work. The skipper was retired but kept his commercial license just for fun, he said now for salmon openings are quite often only 24 hours and you can only set the nets for 45 minutes. For the whole season he made about $700 and spent $3000 on fuel.

I think you have to find a niche market. Green/Organic food is really popular, so if you could market it to organic grocery stores/restaurant as local sea food organically caught (no fossil fuels/nets/) I think you could make enough to get by.

I'd like to do it, but so far no one at DFO has even been able to point me in the right direction on how to go about getting licensed for this. Although there is no shortage of people who want to buy the crab I catch in my own personal pots.
In the event you are tempted to sell your crabs you might want to read this:
Fisheries and Oceans Canada | Pacific Region | Publications | Sport Fishing Guidelines for Crab (Brochure)
"•Recreationally harvested shellfish cannot be sold."

And this:
Crab Poachers Nabbed in Burrard Inlet

Just thought you might be interested.

Dabnis

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.