Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2003

jbarros is on a distinguished road
Firearms

*KICK* THUD
*KICK* THUD

"GET UP!"
"Come on... PLEASE... Get up"

"You hear a heartbeet?"

"Nope. Man, it''s not even warm."

"Well, I guess it''s official..."

"Yep, poor horse has been dead for days."

poor horsey.

-- James
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2003

obiec is on a distinguished road
Firearms

Ok you know I wrote something about how I felt about freedoms, And you have decided to bash me directly, Thank you I hope you feel bigger now. I do feel there are many laws that have gone to far. I also feel there are a lot of people out there that will say that, that is just the way it is. Well I do not feel that way, I think we need real change. If I have come across as some back woods fool to you, you might need to evaluate your thinking. Yes I have problems with spelling and such. I have a fairly common problem of dyslexia. Are far as my intelligence, I was denied a college education. But you know what I have found in life, There are a lot of educated idiots out there. Now I am not trying to say I am dilling with one of them right now, but I do have my suspicions. I went into private business, I am 37 years old and I live in a home I built last year, and it is played for. Over 2,000 SQ feet. I sail a 38 foot Ingrid that is very nice and it is paid for. I have a mountain cabin that I built 3 years ago on 3 acres on a lake and yes, it is paid for. I do not owe the bank a dime. Ow yea I also have three rental hoses, and they are paid for now. I am planning on leaving on an extended cruise next year. I will fund this with my rental homes and I will lease out my house and cabin. When I was first getting started my mother in law offered to give me enough money to build my first house. I termed her down, I wonted to do it my way. That was a grate diction. You know the nice thing about private business, all the Idiots educated or not get weeded out. So take your PHD and Enjoy punching the clock on Monday.
Do even bother I am done reading your postings.
Old 12-28-2003

928frenzy is on a distinguished road
Firearms

Obiec:

I don''t know if you were directing your remarks at me, but I didn''t think you a fool. I thought your spelling and grammar were making it dificult to understand what it was you were trying to say - nothing more.

I''m glad to read you''ve made a success for yourself. As it turns out, I do have a college degree and a Masters, but I don''t have a PhD, at least not yet, and unless I decide to teach college, I probably won''t get it.

Now with respect to freedoms lost - please list one or more. Remember, you can only list the ones mentioned in the Constitution. Any other freedom you think you have not mentioned in the Constitution is illusionary at best. For example: The right to privacy isn''t mentioned in the Constitution, so thus, there really is no "right to privacy".

Getting back to the original topic - The right to bear arms is in the Constitution. However, States and the Feds can regulate who can get and have them. I doubt any sane person would want felons or the metally retarded to be able to legally buy guns.

Once you leave the States, the laws of the country you''re in determine whether you can legally keep a gun while in their territorial waters. I''m not sure, but maybe there''s a country which allows its citizens to keep automatic weapons. Clearly, they would be in violation of US Laws and the Coast Guard would have every legal right to impond such a weapon if it were brought into US waters.

These are just some examples. I would be interested in reading the list of freedoms you think we have lost.

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
Old 12-28-2003

Firearms

Obiec:

I don''t know if you were directing your remarks at me, but I didn''t think you a fool. I thought your spelling and grammar were making it difficult to understand what it was you were trying to say - nothing more.

I''m glad to read you''ve made a success for yourself. As it turns out, I do have a college degree and a Masters, but I don''t have a PhD, at least not yet, and unless I decide to teach college, I probably won''t get it.

Now with respect to freedoms lost - please list one or more. Remember, you can only list the ones mentioned in the Constitution. Any other freedom you think you have not mentioned in the Constitution is illusionary at best. For example: The right to privacy isn''t mentioned in the Constitution, so thus, there really is no "right to privacy".

Getting back to the original topic - The right to bear arms is in the Constitution. However, States and the Feds can regulate who can get and have them. I doubt any sane person would want felons or the metally retarded to be able to legally buy guns.

Once you leave the States, the laws of the country you''re in determine whether you can legally keep a gun while in their territorial waters. I''m not sure, but maybe there''s a country which allows its citizens to keep automatic weapons. Clearly, they would be in violation of US Laws and the Coast Guard would have every legal right to impound such a weapon if it were brought into US waters.

These are just some examples. I would be interested in reading the list of freedoms you think we have lost.

Old 01-01-2004

sneuman is on a distinguished road
Firearms

Look at this thread: 115+ entries and nothing to do about sailing! At the risk of getting flamed, who the hell cares?? Statistically - even in supposedly crime-ridden America - you''re much more likely to get shot with your own weapon than to successfully stop an intruder; I would think the stats would be even more sobering for a boat. Pirates? How many of you are sailing the Malacca Straits or the southern Philippines? Enough said. If worst comes to worst, zap ''em with your flare gun and leave the heavy artillery at home - unloaded, locked in a case so your kids don''t shoot themselves or the neighbor''s dog. Sheesh!
Old 12-19-2004

markcash is on a distinguished road
Firearms

Gee, this thread was so entertaining I thought I''d pull a fast one and revive it.

To keep and bear arms onboard your sailing vessel or to not have them at all? There are those that would deny us the priviledge of keeping weapons on board if the decision were left up to them, and unfortunately it often is. It is also unfortunate that these same people are the ones from whom we would need the weapons in order to defend ourselves. I grew up in a home where guns were always present and learned to respect them. Perhaps people should be required to leave their sailboats at home locked up so that their children would not fall overboard and drown or hit their little heads on the boom in an accidental gybe. If you assume the child will be irresponsible around guns then I must assume you were irresponsible in the upbringing of your child. Perhaps you are the one who should be locked up so that you don''t go off and hurt someones freedom!

I have lived all over the world and am very happy to be here in the USA now. I am very thankful for the US military for protecting the rights I do have. In most places in the USA we do not have to carry firearms on a daily basis because of our police and military. In most the rest of the world the police and military are the reason you do have to carry! Either their lack of presence to deter or outright criminality on their own part requires that you be able to use a gun and be willing to use it, or forfeit many of your rights, including the one to life.

Sailor/Political Scientist/American by choice
Old 12-19-2004

Firearms

I have not been all over the world, but in the countries I''ve been, the Police were visible and helpful. Also, the crime rates in those countries were/are much much lower than here in the USA.

In one particular country, folks left their doors and windows unlocked. Also, one could get on the metro without having to go through a turnstile. There, the honor system works!

The citizens are allowed to own hunting rifles and shotguns, but they must be kept at the local police station to be checked out as needed. The majority there think this makes sense. If you travel there by boat, you''ll be required to turn in your firearms. They will be returned when you exit the country. That sounds reasonable to me.

Old 12-19-2004

Firearms

great, then you can move there and be happy. While you are moving there you can remind my childhood friends from Rhodesia why it is such a good idea to rely upon the authorities for your own safety. You can tell the jews why they should trust the nazi regime in Germany. The simple fact is that people like you should not be telling people what they can or can''t do on their own boat! If you decide not arm yourself that''s wonderful, that''s your perogative! I am sure thiefs and pirates appreciate your pacificity also. The propblem is jerks who for the sake of "harmony" or "peace" give up other peoples guns and other peoples rights in order to make themselves feel better. It doesn''t work on the large scale (Chamberlain and the Nazi''s) and it didn''t work with the bullies on the schoolyard so why the hell do you think that somewhere in the middle everybody out there can be trusted and for those that can''t, it just a small statistic not to worry about. Fine, you go be that statistic! My friends in Rhodesia were statistics also simply because they had no means to defend themselves. We need more cowboys willing to face down the bad guys than wimps willing to give up all for the sake of appeasement. My life experience has taught me not to trust in the good intentions and motives of others. Any country that does not allow one the means to defend themselves is not a safe country to live in. Crime may be lower in these countries but that is often because the "official" reports leave out the details. I have been to many of these countries you probably refer to and have to disagree with your finding. In these countries you can ask the officials about the ethnic cleansing and they will say it never happened. You can ask about the massacre last week and the offial line is that it is all oposition propaganda. The UN peacekeepers are here to protect the people ( all the while taking the little girls for use as sex slaves while stationed in country).

To hell with you, I am keeping my gun!
Old 12-20-2004

Firearms

Were you responding to me? If so, please show me where I said you should give up your right to bear arms?

There are ways to defend oneself without the need of firearms. Ghandi and his followers didn''t fire a single shot, yet he still managed to force the British to get out of India.

Upon retirement, I will likely live part of the year in that country I described in my previous post. The people there are very friendly, the weather is very nice, the sea is very clean, and their quality of life is in amny ways better than ours. If giving up my right to bear arms is one of the few drawbacks, I can live with it. Perhaps you cannot. To each his own.

BTW, I would never tell anyone I disagree with to "go to he!!" That''s just poor manners, and shows poor upbringing. As you should know, one of the most important freedoms we have here in the USA is the right to freedom of speech. That includes allowing someone to say what they think, even if you don''t agree with it.

Old 01-03-2005

Firearms

Not trying to be rude but that "to hell with you I am keeping my guns" seems not to be a diatribe aimed at 928frenzy as a "go to hell". Think of it more as a "Well, I''ve seen the world and the mistakes of others and if you want to go and make those same mistakes I am not going with you" type of to hell. To misquote shows also poor manners and upbringing but luckily you have the freedom here to do just that.
The question is still valid with points of view on both sides that sound reasonable. One thing to remember, those who wish to keep firearms onboard their vessel will never force those who who do not wish to keep firearms onboard to do so. Can the same be said of the other side? History clearly shows this not to be the case!

Cowboys beat UCLA in the Las Vegas Bowl!
GO WYOMING!