SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   singlehanded sailing course (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/81493-singlehanded-sailing-course.html)

sailordoc 12-06-2011 04:24 PM

singlehanded sailing course

Dear fellow sailors,

I just learned about a course offered by Solo Sailing School in Pensacola, FL.
The course seems to be awesome, 10 days of instruction, one student only per course! However, it's a recently founded school and I would like to know if any of you has had any previous experience with them as I am seriously considering to take such course.

Thanks!

DRFerron 12-06-2011 04:49 PM

If you do take it, please let us know how it was. I've not heard of such a course and it sounds like it might be interesting.

mcwhale 09-29-2012 09:37 AM

Re: singlehanded sailing course

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 803894)
...please let us know how it was...not heard of such a course ....

singlehand:
are there some news about tis item?
mcm

contrarian 09-29-2012 11:00 PM

Single Handed Sailing is the easy part..... Single Handed Docking.... that's the H A R D part.

TakeFive 09-29-2012 11:58 PM

Maybe the first student hasn't returned yet? lol

Ferretchaser 09-30-2012 10:32 AM

IMHO single handed sailing is not so much a skill that one can learn on a course but a mind set to be happy being alone for long periods of time. On my boat for example I have not led any of the halyards and reefing lines back to the cockpit wich to many folks out there is a must for single handed sailing. I find it more of a hassle as I want to be at the sail when I reef it to flake it right and can't do that from the cockpit. If you cast of short handed, like a sailing couple, both should be able to sigle hand the boat you are on, in case the brown stuff hits the spinny bit.
Just my two cent worth.

Michael

nolatom 09-30-2012 03:02 PM

A quick Google of that name didn't bring up anything other than domain name sites, and your inquiry from here.

I'll chime in with Michael above, if this is one-on-one instruction in how to sail, then (depending on the instructor) great, the more tiller time the better.

But learn to sail first (if you haven't), then learn to grow two extra hands, two extra legs, and a clone of yourself. That's kind of what you need to make a good sailor into a good singlehand sailor.

Plus the psychological part where you can stand your own company, etc.

Silvio 09-30-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolatom (Post 928199)
A quick Google of that name didn't bring up anything other than domain name sites, and your inquiry from here.

I'll chime in with Michael above, if this is one-on-one instruction in how to sail, then (depending on the instructor) great, the more tiller time the better.

But learn to sail first (if you haven't), then learn to grow two extra hands, two extra legs, and a clone of yourself. That's kind of what you need to make a good sailor into a good singlehand sailor.

Plus the psychological part where you can stand your own company, etc.

And don't forget the ability to see 2o minutes into the future to predict your next several steps and anticipate what is coming, especially in close quarters.

tomandchris 09-30-2012 09:55 PM

After taking some ASA classes, 101-105, I started day sailing a group of boats in the charter schools fleet of school boat and charter boats. I felt comfortable sailing the boats but wanted better skills especially when single handling the boats.

I hired one of my favorite instructors from the classes and asked him to put together a day instructing me on single handling a boat, that day it was a Catalina 30. He made me do everything. I am sure if we would have gotten in trouble he would have jumped in, but that was not our mission. We practiced everything from simple tacks to jibes. That day the wind was blowing 20+ and he had me do a series of jibes down the bay. He explained what should happen, what to look for, etc.. It was easy...because he was there.
We also spent time in maneuving under power inside the breakwall and docking....which I was most nervous about. He again explained the situation and it became easy. At the end of the day it was the best money I ever spent and gave me a jump start.

I have no idea what your skill level is to begin with. If you don't sail and want to learn a 10 day one on one, if affordable, makes sense. If you already sail and want more confidence single handling I would think that 10 days might be over kill.