Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By contrarian

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2011

sailordoc is on a distinguished road
singlehanded sailing course

Dear fellow sailors,

I just learned about a course offered by Solo Sailing School in Pensacola, FL.
The course seems to be awesome, 10 days of instruction, one student only per course! However, it's a recently founded school and I would like to know if any of you has had any previous experience with them as I am seriously considering to take such course.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
If you do take it, please let us know how it was. I've not heard of such a course and it sounds like it might be interesting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-29-2012

mcwhale is on a distinguished road
Re: singlehanded sailing course

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
...please let us know how it was...not heard of such a course ....
singlehand:
are there some news about tis item?
mcm
Old 09-29-2012

contrarian is on a distinguished road

Single Handed Sailing is the easy part..... Single Handed Docking.... that's the H A R D part.
PeterSailer and jump5999 like this.
Old 09-29-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Maybe the first student hasn't returned yet? lol

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 09-30-2012
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

IMHO single handed sailing is not so much a skill that one can learn on a course but a mind set to be happy being alone for long periods of time. On my boat for example I have not led any of the halyards and reefing lines back to the cockpit wich to many folks out there is a must for single handed sailing. I find it more of a hassle as I want to be at the sail when I reef it to flake it right and can't do that from the cockpit. If you cast of short handed, like a sailing couple, both should be able to sigle hand the boat you are on, in case the brown stuff hits the spinny bit.
Just my two cent worth.

Michael
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 09-30-2012

nolatom will become famous soon enough

A quick Google of that name didn't bring up anything other than domain name sites, and your inquiry from here.

I'll chime in with Michael above, if this is one-on-one instruction in how to sail, then (depending on the instructor) great, the more tiller time the better.

But learn to sail first (if you haven't), then learn to grow two extra hands, two extra legs, and a clone of yourself. That's kind of what you need to make a good sailor into a good singlehand sailor.

Plus the psychological part where you can stand your own company, etc.
Old 09-30-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
A quick Google of that name didn't bring up anything other than domain name sites, and your inquiry from here.

I'll chime in with Michael above, if this is one-on-one instruction in how to sail, then (depending on the instructor) great, the more tiller time the better.

But learn to sail first (if you haven't), then learn to grow two extra hands, two extra legs, and a clone of yourself. That's kind of what you need to make a good sailor into a good singlehand sailor.

Plus the psychological part where you can stand your own company, etc.
And don't forget the ability to see 2o minutes into the future to predict your next several steps and anticipate what is coming, especially in close quarters.
Old 09-30-2012

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

After taking some ASA classes, 101-105, I started day sailing a group of boats in the charter schools fleet of school boat and charter boats. I felt comfortable sailing the boats but wanted better skills especially when single handling the boats.

I hired one of my favorite instructors from the classes and asked him to put together a day instructing me on single handling a boat, that day it was a Catalina 30. He made me do everything. I am sure if we would have gotten in trouble he would have jumped in, but that was not our mission. We practiced everything from simple tacks to jibes. That day the wind was blowing 20+ and he had me do a series of jibes down the bay. He explained what should happen, what to look for, etc.. It was easy...because he was there.
We also spent time in maneuving under power inside the breakwall and docking....which I was most nervous about. He again explained the situation and it became easy. At the end of the day it was the best money I ever spent and gave me a jump start.

I have no idea what your skill level is to begin with. If you don't sail and want to learn a 10 day one on one, if affordable, makes sense. If you already sail and want more confidence single handling I would think that 10 days might be over kill.