I have a new blog entry about YONI, one of my more interesting projects - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2011
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Beautiful boat.

At a certain point, clients should trust their hired experts, who often develop an intuitive feel for the nuances of their craft, rather than try to micromanage the entire process.

Successful clients are sometimes the most trying clients because they believe their success in their chosen field leads them to believe that they have good judgment in all matters.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2011
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Caleb:
I like all kinds of music. When I play it's usually country western stuff because my pals like that. When I listen it could be Schoenberg or Bill Evans or Chet Baker or Schumann or Pucinni or Haydn or Schubert or Jim Hall or the Eagles or Van Morrison or Boz Scaggs you get the idea. I just like quality music. Maybe one day I'll blog about my music or my hi-fi gear. I love talking about my turntable.

Did you know that Buddy Holly had no living children?

I think most people associate the word "yoni" with female genitalia. That is certainly the way it is used in Hindu culture. There is no doubt in my mind that my client chose that name because of the two meanings. He is like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-08-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
bob-
You say " The aft double berth was designed to be athwartships as Daryl, and a lot of other sailors I know, think this is the ultimate sea berth. "
Doesn't that leave you sleeping with your feet raised up above your head on one tack? I haven't had the chance to try it but don't see why sleeping athwartship at sea would be a good idea. Head athwarthship, sure. But bed??
Old 12-08-2011
grumpy old man

Yes, that is what I said. That is what I drew. That is what the client wanted.

If you were going to short tack your way accross the Pacific it might be an issue. But this boat was not designed for short tacking duels.

I think the best aft berth I ever design was big enough so that you could sleep longitudinally or athwartships. That worked well.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 12-08-2011

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
I think wikipedia gives a different sanscrit translation than abode. As some say after a man emerges he spends most of the rest of his life trying to re-enter.Robert did you and your cronies at CA ever design something like ultimate sailing vessel for single handed cruise and circumnavigation?
Old 12-08-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
With that much space I'm surprised the client wanted a berth instead of a billiard table. Gyroscopically stabilized, of course.

I can only imagine the luxury of staying on one tack for an entire long watch. I still rather have a "head end" and a "foot end" to a berth, so even staying on one tack for the whole sleep, sooner or later that would have to be swapped.

Whatever happened to sailors sleeping in nice cozy hammocks?!
Old 12-09-2011
grumpy old man

Hello:
Daryl is on his way over here right now. I''ll suggest that for the next boat.

My job as the designer is to let the client think he can have anything he wants. Then I slowly bring the client back to reality while trying to preserve the vision. I do not use the word "compromise" it's too defeatist for me.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 12-09-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Nice one Maestro. She is truly a lovely boat. Then again I've noticed you have some empathy with yacht design. Maybe you should consider it as a career.

Hey Caleb, I have it on good authority that BP also has half way reasonable taste in movies .... one of which combines splendid movie making with Mark Knopfler.

hint ... "I used to get headaches when I drove a Chevvy".

Bob ... I cannot for the life me figure out why anyone would want to put a hard dodger onto a deck saloon. Beggars belief.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 12-09-2011
grumpy old man

tdw:
Yes, LOCAL HERO is the only movie I own and I own two copies, just in case. ( In my best Mac voice) I also have the soundtrack on LP and CD.

The dialogue is so profound.
"And are there two G's in bugger off?"

Bob's Blog ....

Old 12-09-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
tdw:
Yes, LOCAL HERO is the only movie I own and I own two copies, just in case. ( In my best Mac voice) I also have the soundtrack on LP and CD.

The dialogue is so profound.
"And are there two G's in bugger off?"
Damn ... I only have the one DVD but I do have it on VHS .... but my player died ... I can claim one up you on the audio ... Vinyl, CD and on my hard drive.

ps - How's the knee ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 12-10-2011 at 03:01 AM.