SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   First and new (to us) boat! 1985 Pearson 27 Hull #24 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/81528-first-new-us-boat-1985-pearson-27-hull-24-a.html)

itsaboat 12-07-2011 10:55 PM

First and new (to us) boat! 1985 Pearson 27 Hull #24

We just closed on a 1985 Pearson 27 today. :)
Here she is:
1985 Pearson 27'
After looking for the past 6 months in an area with relatively few quality boats for sale (central Arkansas), the admiral and I finally pulled the trigger on this one. We looked at the Hunters and Catalinas close to the price range of this one and kept looking back at her and decided she was the one (well, there was a Crealock 34 in the area that left me a littleshort of breath, but we will look at her after the lottery comes in).

We debated about this boat and researched the brief history of the US Yacht/Pearson 27 for a few months before making a decision. I could gather from the googles that the boat was originally a Doug Peterson design that was bought by Pearson. They made it in the 84-85 period before making the next generation Pearson 27 and before shutting their doors for good in the 90s. Since the boat is a 1985 and hull number 24, I am guessing that they didn't make many. Heck, this might have been the last hull, so it is a bit of a rare boat. If there are any other Pearson 27 owners of this brief period out there I would love to hear from you.

Two things beside the rarity of the boat that make this a crazy decision:
1. We have never sailed. We contracted a sailing bug after a visit to Chicago during the Air and Water Show last summer and seeing all the sailboats on mooring in the Lake Michigan harbors. We were going to spend ~$500 on sailing lessons when we just decided to go ahead and buy a boat. I realize that sailing is a lifelong learning curve, but I also thought that if I can get a PhD in molecular biology I can figure out how to get out of irons, right? Maybe not, but we'll see. I will be looking for tips from all of you in the near future.

2. The engine wouldn't start. I drove the 1.2 hrs from our house to the marina to take it on a test sail with the broker but the inboard Volvo MD5B would not start. I am an old (42) farm boy with diesel experience and was not too daunted by this. So the broker and I mucked about with bleeding lines for an hour, but we could not get it to fire off. Needless to say, this was a considerable part of the negation afterwards, and it will be my first challenge. Believe me, I did not miss the irony that my first hour on a sailboat was spent trying to fix the engine.

So after some discussion, we bought it for less than the cost of repowering her and we are going to move it to a lake lake 30 min from here next week if the winds and weather are favorable in December.

Let me know what you think and I look forward to sharing our first BFS!!:D

Faster 12-07-2011 11:08 PM

That boat was made by US Yachts (born from Buccaneer/Bayliner) prior to being taken up by Pearson. Not sure how many were built by US yachts.

Also not absolutely positive that particular model was a Peterson design, but it likely is as the 29/30 and 33 were; however the 22 and 25 were Gary Mull designs. The 27 looks more like Peterson to my eye though.

A rare boat can be an asset if it's a good one, we've never owned mainstream boats and I always enjoy the dockwalkers' "What boat is that anyway?" - makes for some good conversation.

Hope there's nothing serious with that engine... parts are $$$$$$$$$$....$$$$$:eek:

Best of luck, enjoy the boat and the forum..

itsaboat 12-07-2011 11:30 PM

Thanks Faster,
Our thinking (and probably theirs) was that they put the Pearson glass engineering in after adopting the design, and the Bayliner/Buccaneer association would be in the past. I would be interested in knowing if Peterson did actually design this one. Does he post on here like Bob Perry does? I read Perry's blog like a teenager reads a fan magazine.

I like the submerged stern-mounted rudder as opposed to the exposed stern-mounted rudder in the later Shaw design. However, the V-berth settee is nice in that one. Also this one has a deep fin keel (5.2' draft) rather than the shoal draft.

The $$$$ for Volvo Penta parts was indeed a consideration, and I got a quote for a new Beta that would repower her just in case. I hope that won't be necessary.

BTW, the Nicholson 345 looks like a great boat with a similar fin keel. Where do you sail her?

Eric

Faster 12-07-2011 11:38 PM

We're in the Vancouver BC area and cruise the inner coast every summer.

Our boat was built in Brazil (in a similar fashion to US/Pearson, Nich sold the molds to Fast Yachts in Brazil... Nich built 30 or so, Fast built 130+.. we're hull 41.) Shortly after ours was made they changed to a masthead rig.. we are occasionally underpowered but enjoy the small headsails and fly the spinnakers often. The Fast version is less racy, with more furniture, better storage, and a nicer interior fit-out. It has one of the best layouts of a mid 30 footer from that era, including a rather good aft double considering the 'pinched ends' of that era of IOR design.

Anyhow thanks for the comments.... Carry on!:)

kwaltersmi 12-08-2011 03:31 PM

Congratulations on the new boat. One of the very best elements of sailing is the aquisistion of knowledge and experience. You're gonna have a blast discovering the nuances of the P27 and the lifestyle.

Be sure to report back with some photos if you get her out on the water this winter. Those of us soon to be frozen up here in the Great Lakes could use some sea stories from those of you who don't have hard water in January.

MarkSF 12-08-2011 03:44 PM

I thought this thread might be interesting, on the MD5B not starting.

volvo penta md5b not starting - SailboatOwners.com

cb32863 12-08-2011 04:10 PM

Congrats on the boat and good luck with her. Pics are definitely a must.

:cool:

itsaboat 12-08-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSF (Post 804508)
I thought this thread might be interesting, on the MD5B not starting.

volvo penta md5b not starting - SailboatOwners.com

Thanks Mark. I saw that one when I was doing some research prior to deciding to buy the boat. The thread was actually started by the PO, I think, so the starting problems with the engine are not new. I know that he had it sailing since then so he must have gotten it started. Obviously, this will be the first thing that I will work on. I told my wife that my sailing hobby will begin after my small diesel repair hobby.

I have a mate who owns a garage and sailed in his younger days. He was excited when he learned I might get a boat and do some sailing again, so he is on board for the engine fix. Thanks for the encouragement; I will post updates.

itsaboat 12-08-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwaltersmi (Post 804504)
Congratulations on the new boat. One of the very best elements of sailing is the aquisistion of knowledge and experience. You're gonna have a blast discovering the nuances of the P27 and the lifestyle.

Be sure to report back with some photos if you get her out on the water this winter. Those of us soon to be frozen up here in the Great Lakes could use some sea stories from those of you who don't have hard water in January.

Thanks K. If I get her out I will definitely post some pics. The fall and winter are good sailing seasons down here, but can be a bit nippy (I am looking at rapidly melting snow patches out my window). The local sailing club holds their keelboat races in these seasons since the wind is usually better than summer.

I am jealous of you great lakes sailors in the summer and all the space you have to roam. Our little ten mile long pond will be a good training ground for now though.

tommays 12-08-2011 06:14 PM

Good luck with it