Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2011

Kielanders is on a distinguished road
1946 Ed Monk Sr. Wooden Sailboat

I'm thinking about purchasing a first sailboat. The following is one that's in the running if it's still available:

1946 Ed Monk Sr Sailboat Cutter sailboat for sale in Washington

Even if it's not available, I'd like your thoughts on both this boat, as well as wooden boats in general.

For my purposes, any boat I purchase will see some bluewater and long hauls. While I don't consider myself foolhardy, I'm not particularly risk adverse either.

I have read many threads pertaining to wood boats vs. fiberglass, though I haven't seen anything specific concerning this boat or similar boats.

I am also considering fiberglass as well. I am competent mechanically and with carpentry, and have done a bit of glasswork. I anticipate any boat I purchase, I will be the primary person doing the repairs/upgrades/refurb.

Prior to any purchase, I will be having the boat pulled with a full survey by someone with experience in the type of boat I'm considering.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2011

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
A wooden boat can be repaired what ever the condition is. The maintanence costs are only 10% more than a fiberglass boat. This boat seems in a good condition but a surveyor will give much better opinion.

If you have good carpenter skills you can maintain her easily. Maintaining a fiber boat requires more materials than skill. A wooden boat requires more skill than materials.

It is always comfortable to be in a wooden boat than a fiber one.
Old 12-08-2011
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Have you ever considered making life easier on yourself?

Do you enjoy sailing or working on boats?

There are good reasons why the vast majority of boats are now made out of fiberglass.
Old 12-08-2011

marianclaire is on a distinguished road
My first/only boat is wood and I have not regretted it. For open water I do not like the lack of lifelines and it appears as if you have to go over the cabin to get forward. With no roller furling you will end up going to the bow. Welcome to the forum. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Last edited by marianclaire; 12-08-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-08-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Well, she's good looking. If you are comfortable with a wooden boat and willing to keep up with essential maintenance, you'll do fine. People do buy wooden projects and rebuild them. I have a friend that totally rebuilt a 26' catboat. I prefer to buy an operational boat (the one in the picture looks good, and floats!) in good condition and keep it up. I've been sailing and fixing (my own) wood boats for 20 years.
Old 12-08-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post

There are good reasons why the vast majority of boats are now made out of fiberglass.
There are also reasons why "Two and a Half Men" is the most popular sitcom in the US, and why McDonald's is the biggest restaurant chain in the world.
Popular ain't the same as preferable.
A wooden boat that hasn't gotten behind the maintenance curve requires little more annual maintenance than a fiberglass boat.
The key phrase in the above baldly stated opinion is "behind the maintenance curve." Damage that goes uncorrected too long spreads more quickly on a wooden boat than a fiberglass boat...
... but, it is also noticed sooner, since it is harder to ignore than soft frozen snot.
Personally, I'd much rather repair rot on a wood boat than recore the decks on a neglected fiberglass boat.

27 pieces of teak requiring varnish or, for the heathens, Cetol, on a wooden boat is the same as the same 27 pieces of teak on a fiberglass boat.
zedboy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-08-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
The "wooden boat" debate I'm sure could rage on for eons, but essentially narrows down to
"if you love her, you'll take care of her". I know nothing about Monk sailboats, but you don't
have to be a butcher to know you like steak. That's a beautiful boat, and so much cooler
than my "cookie-cutter, off-the-shelf" plastic boat I sail. Let us know if she's makes the grade!
Old 12-08-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Beautiful Boat! I'd love to see the cabin, neat how it goes all the way to the sides.

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 12-08-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Pretty, character boat.. if in good shape still is likely up to pretty much anything.

As mentioned, if you're comfortable with the workload, esp if you can do it all yourself this could be a labour of love.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-08-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
Have no idea what your budget is, but your link got me "snooping". If this fits, WOW, what
a beautiful boat;
1957 Stephens Farallone Clipper sailboat for sale in California