SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Westsail 42 Fiona video tour and sailing adventure (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/81539-westsail-42-fiona-video-tour-sailing-adventure.html)

drakeParagon 12-08-2011 11:35 AM

Westsail 42 Fiona video tour and sailing adventure

I recently spent 2 weeks crewing aboard Eric Forsyth's Westsail 42 'Fiona', sailing from Ireland to Portugal. Eric built his boat from a bare hull and has completed 2 circumnavigations, one going east, one going west, and has sailed through the Northwest passage in the Arctic and also to South Georgia in the Antarctic. It was the most wonderful sailing, and a great opportunity for me to learn from this amazing sailor and to see his incredibly proven offshore sailing boat. I made an in depth video tour of Fiona's deck, interior, and engine room, and of our sailing adventure and and posted them for your enjoyment! (I hope.)

Fiona Ep 1: Intro and Deck Tour - YouTube

I would love to hear what anyone thinks of them, especially if you have ideas on how I can improve on this kind of video for the next series which I'm editing now.. Thanks,
DrakeParagon
drakeParagon@gmail.com

rbrasi 12-08-2011 12:27 PM

Good stuff, very interesting.

I have a couple of comments. Let me preface by saying I am a professional in the broadcast television industry, so take it for what it's worth.
-B roll: cover your talking head with pictures, footage, anything to break up the intro. Perhaps some old stills of Mr. Forsythe, and his prior adventures. I don't mind seeing you in the salon of the boat, but only for a brief intro (:15 tops) and maybe a close.
-Brevity: When you give the brief tour of the boat, you should plan out what you want to say, then shoot the video. Get a wide, medium and close up of every part you want to go into detail about (eg. samson post), to give you options when you edit. Just video with natural sound (NATS), no talking. Then write down what you want to say about each item and read it to your microphone in a quiet setting. I assume you're using an edit program such as Final Cut or Premier. They have a tool called 'Voice Over' that you can record the track to, then drop that track into the timeline. Cover your VO with the footage that you shot (with NATS on a separate audio track), and viola! You have an edited package, minus the "uuuh"s and "um"s. It will also cut the TRT (total running time) in half. Believe me when I tell you, less is more in that regard. This also assures that you'll have clean audio throughout.
I do like the supers (the text you have over some of the footage). They are helpful.

BTW-
I want that ladder that attaches to the jib sheet bock! That is sweet! Where can I get one?

drakeParagon 12-08-2011 01:24 PM

rbrasi,

Wow! Many many thanks for your absolutely invaluable advice! I never thought about shooting video as you've described and feel like a lightbulb just turned on. I will certainly follow your advice to the letter the next time I shoot a video series, hopefully soon!

"less is more... less is more..." :)

That folding ladder is called "The Foldaway" and is made and sold by "Mystic Stainless and Aluminum" in Mystic, CT.

MYSTIC STAINLESS & ALUMINUM : THE FOLDAWAY

Thanks again! I hope you enjoy the rest of the series and of course would appreciate any more comments or advice .. I'm hoping that the actual sailing and exploring port videos starting with Ep 4 will be a lot more interesting..

Happy sailing,

DrakeParagon
drakeParagon@gmail.com

rbrasi 12-08-2011 02:08 PM

Cool. Thanks for the link. Here's something you might want to try:
Mount a gopro to the mast with a view of the cockpit. It has a wide angle and if you run it while in big seas, the footage will be amazing. Powering it shouldn't be too difficult and they are very durable.
http://gopro.com/

drakeParagon 12-08-2011 02:38 PM

gopro and sailing

Hi rbrasi,

Yes, absolutely! I bought a gopro camera to do exactly that on an upcoming voyage. And some of the Fiona video footage was taken with a go pro.

I'm also planning to mount the go pro to a kite flying of the stern under sail - I've seen some amazing footage of boats under sail taken this way. But most of all I want to try to catch under water footage of dolphins riding the bow wave. I'm going to mount a waterproof goPro on the end of a pole, and attach the pole to the bowsprit with the camera 2 feet below the surface.

One of my most popular videos was of dolphins off Portugal... Fiona Sailing with Dolphins - YouTube

I'm thinking that if I could had also caught underwater video of those dolphins looking into the camera... it would have just been beyond amazing..

Thanks! I appreciate any advice!

Drake
drakeParagon@gmail.com

LandLocked66c 12-08-2011 02:53 PM

Look forward to watching all of these!

kwaltersmi 12-08-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbrasi (Post 804435)
I have a couple of comments. Let me preface by saying I am a professional in the broadcast television industry, so take it for what it's worth...

Excellent advice and really good tips! I'm planning to shoot a couple of boat reviews this coming spring for my website and am planning things out now in the offseason. Your advice is highly relevant and timely.

drake - Good stuff, thanks for sharing! I love Westsails. s/v Fiona looks to be a truly unique and character-filled vessel.

rbrasi 12-08-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwaltersmi (Post 804494)
Excellent advice and really good tips! I'm planning to shoot a couple of boat reviews this coming spring for my website and am planning things out now in the offseason. Your advice is highly relevant and timely.

Don't mention it- I count on Sailnet to answer questions that confound me and experienced sailors are always willing to dispense with the advice. It's the least I can do.

killarney_sailor 12-08-2011 04:48 PM

That's what it is called

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakeParagon (Post 804458)
rbrasi,

Wow! Many many thanks for your absolutely invaluable advice! I never thought about shooting video as you've described and feel like a lightbulb just turned on. I will certainly follow your advice to the letter the next time I shoot a video series, hopefully soon!

"less is more... less is more..." :)

That folding ladder is called "The Foldaway" and is made and sold by "Mystic Stainless and Aluminum" in Mystic, CT.

MYSTIC STAINLESS & ALUMINUM : THE FOLDAWAY

Thanks again! I hope you enjoy the rest of the series and of course would appreciate any more comments or advice .. I'm hoping that the actual sailing and exploring port videos starting with Ep 4 will be a lot more interesting..

Happy sailing,

DrakeParagon
drakeParagon@gmail.com

I have one of those ladders on my boat and did not know where it came from. It really is a nice bit of kit.

drakeParagon 12-09-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LandLocked66c (Post 804487)
Look forward to watching all of these!

Thanks! I hope you enjoy them and would really appreciate to hear what you think!