How long do you expect to keep your boat/how long will it last? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011

KIVALO is on a distinguished road
When and if I am able to upgrade to a 34-38ft boat, at that time I will sell mine then upgrade. Otherwise I am keeping it for at least 20 years before I think about replacing it.

EDIT: I forgot, it's a 2003 Hunter 260.

Brad
s/v KIVALO
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2011

addict is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to addict
I'm planning on keeping my sunstar for another 10 years. She's got plenty of room and sails great. Built very well too... If and when I grow out of this boat I'll most likely move to a tayana 37....
Old 12-10-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Until I swallow the anchor.

She's still young at 34, in the right hands maybe a 100 years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 12-10-2011

lilslippery is on a distinguished road
I hope to up grade in the next five years. Longer and more comforts
As for how long my 1971 islander will last I do not know? I think with proper care it will go for ever.
Old 12-10-2011
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road
We've owned Mystry 1972 C&C Corvette for bout 20 years and will keep it for antother 20 until all the kids are gone then think about a liveaboard . This boat was built in the era where more glass the better very solid boat and well maintained it should last another 40++ years.
Old 12-10-2011

H and E is on a distinguished road
Our boat is a good size for us (Catalina 25 w/408 hrs on diesel engine)). We will keep it until I am physically not able to care for it and sail it. The other reason to sell it is if the finical part of keeping it causes a problem. I suspect it will out last us given proper care. It is 23 years old now and in very good condition.
Old 12-10-2011
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
Unless I hit the lottery or something I expected to have my current boat at 25 years. That will make the boat 35 and me 75.

I expect as long as I maintain the boat it never will be so old that refit is more than replacement.
Old 12-10-2011
1982 Skye 51

obelisk is on a distinguished road
At this point, no plans to ever get rid of her.

As for how long she'll last, I have such a special attachment to her that I do not mind spending the money to upgrade her systems instead of putting that dough towards a newer model. I have not had to upgrade (involuntarily) any integral parts and she has very few small gelcoat blisters. Plus i'm happy to nearly always have a project.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-10-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Our boat is fairly new, so we expect her to be all we need for many years to come. We are particularly happy when we walk the boat shows, poke around the Oysters, Hylas, Swans, etc and come home and really like our boat better. We bought her because she was the perfect balance of sailing ability and accommodations for what we do 90% of the time. She was built as the flagship of the Jeanneau fleet at the time and is notably higher quality than the later vintage. In fact, most are very surprised to learn she is a Jeanneau when I'm asked.

I would like to think that she would do for the remainder of our days, but we truly hope (lord willing) to be on the water for another 20 to 30 years. Thats a long time. Realistically, a time will come (many many years down the road) where systems failures become a real hassle and one is faced with a serious retrofit or moving on. For the moment, that is so far over the horizon that I look forward to the journey and do not fear arriving at all.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-10-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
1. I'm figuring on ten - fifteen years. She is likely to be my last big sail boat though if I am still up to it I'll likely go for a stinker for my dotage.

Shame on you

You never heard about those sailboats that sail alone and you just have to push some buttons? Some are a lot cheaper than your boat

Regards

Paulo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.